German Prospects for the NHL Draft

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Some WHL teams interested in Stachowiak, who wants to play in CHL next season. Tim Brunnhuber wants to go as well, but I don't know about interested teams.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Some WHL teams interested in Stachowiak, who wants to play in CHL next season. Tim Brunnhuber wants to go as well, but I don't know about interested teams.

Could be, but I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his way over to North America though, if he really really wants to.

Unfortunately for him, he hasn't had a chance to show his wares too much internationally, not at any U18 or U16 tourneys of real note. That would have been big.

But still, you never know what the connections can do and when I see guys like Ugbekile successfully head over to the USHL pretty much out of nowhere, then I'm thinking that a guy like Brunnhuber could as well. Well, at least if he'd be ready to look at the USHL & NAHL as options.

This said, maybe he'd good enough for the WHL and some scout has recognized that?

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Could be, but I wouldn't be surprised if he finds his way over to North America though, if he really really wants to.

Unfortunately for him, he hasn't had a chance to show his wares too much internationally, not at any U18 or U16 tourneys of real note. That would have been big.

But still, you never know what the connections can do and when I see guys like Ugbekile successfully head over to the USHL pretty much out of nowhere, then I'm thinking that a guy like Brunnhuber could as well. Well, at least if he'd be ready to look at the USHL & NAHL as options.

This said, maybe he'd good enough for the WHL and some scout has recognized that?

Going the USHL/NCAA route should be very interesting for European players as they can get a college degree while perusing their hockey career, instead of just becoming Oberliga regulars here. I'd definitely explore that option if I were Brunnhuber. He'll need the right connections though, or a team that's willing to just take a chance.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know that Germany doesn't have the biggest talent pool to choose from, but would it be that bad if the only country Stachowiak has to choose due to IIHF rules is Poland? It's not like we have a lot or any quality players in the making either.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Marco Sternheimer scored the 1-0 goal for Sonthofen in the Oberliga playoffs versus Duisburg last night. The kid has insane puck skills and is an excellent skater, but he definitely needs to get stronger, improve his shot and get more aware of what's going on around him.

I can see why he wasn't drafted in the CHL or NHL, but expect him to become a great DEL player in a few years nonetheless.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Marco Sternheimer scored the 1-0 goal for Sonthofen in the Oberliga playoffs versus Duisburg last night. The kid has insane puck skills and is an excellent skater, but he definitely needs to get stronger, improve his shot and get more aware of what's going on around him.

I can see why he wasn't drafted in the CHL or NHL, but expect him to become a great DEL player in a few years nonetheless.

His stats always seemed very interesting to me, glad to see him succeeding.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Stachowiak is not on the final as it is posted on the DEB website.

http://www.deb-online.de/2017/04/u18-nationalmannschaft-wm-division-i-in-bled/

Tim Brunnhuber also missing due to injury. Yannik Valenti takes his place.
That means a total of 4 underagers (Hane, Dersch, Bokk and Valenti) are on the team, as well as 1 double underager (Seider).

Schiemenz is the only player who is playing in North America.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Happy to finally see valenti playing on the older team. SHame about Stachowiak, I'm suprised he can't play, I thought that the IIHF was pretty relaxed with these things.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Happy to finally see valenti playing on the older team. SHame about Stachowiak, I'm suprised he can't play, I thought that the IIHF was pretty relaxed with these things.

Sucks for Stachowiak because this is the one thing that could prevent him from playing in the CHL next season. Lots of scouts and GMs at the tournament.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I don't really see anything in the rules that would prevent Stachowiak from playing for Germany. He has played at least four consecutive years in Germany now. That's the minimum needed if he had played for Poland before, which he hadn't, meaning he only really needed to play two consecutive seasons in Germany to be eligible to play.

The only possible exception obviously being that he isn't a German citizen, which doesn't really fit here, because he never would have made it to the camp if he didn't have the nationality.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I don't really see anything in the rules that would prevent Stachowiak from playing for Germany. He has played at least four consecutive years in Germany now. That's the minimum needed if he had played for Poland before, which he hadn't, meaning he only really needed to play two consecutive seasons in Germany to be eligible to play.

The only possible exception obviously being that he isn't a German citizen, which doesn't really fit here, because he never would have made it to the camp if he didn't have the nationality.

Stachowiak has played for Poland before. And according to his agent, citizenship is/was the issue.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Mhm, didn't see that listed anywhere. In that case having played four years would suffice, which he definately has at this point. It's possible that you can't play a tournament at the end of the 4th year, but have to wait until the next season to be eligible.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Mhm, didn't see that listed anywhere. In that case having played four years would suffice, which he definately has at this point. It's possible that you can't play a tournament at the end of the 4th year, but have to wait until the next season to be eligible.

I haven't seen any stats either, only this: https://www.instagram.com/p/1dugPmwMGb/?taken-by=staszekk19 - it was at the Riga Cup 2015, so he's played for Poland two years ago.

His agent said he doesn't have "einen deutschen Pass" yet - not sure if that refers to an actual passport or like a German player's license (no idea what that is actually called) with the IIHF, though.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I haven't seen any stats either, only this: https://www.instagram.com/p/1dugPmwMGb/?taken-by=staszekk19 - it was at the Riga Cup 2015, so he's played for Poland two years ago.

His agent said he doesn't have "einen deutschen Pass" yet - not sure if that refers to an actual passport or like a German player's license (no idea what that is actually called) with the IIHF, though.

Apparently it counts as an international competition. But the team was called "Hockey Olympic Hopes" which may be the reason why the games are not listed as international games in places like eliteprospects.

Stachowiak had 4G 5A.

https://www.cuponline.se/teamView.aspx?cupid=7027&id=58082

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Apparently it counts as an international competition. But the team was called "Hockey Olympic Hopes" which may be the reason why the games are not listed as international games in places like eliteprospects.

Stachowiak had 4G 5A.

https://www.cuponline.se/teamView.aspx?cupid=7027&id=58082

I know just about nothing about hockey in Poland, but that looks a lot like the US NTDP. Some of Poland's best players playing in a club tournament with Team Poland jerseys. Would playing USHL games for the US NTDP count as international competition, though? I don't know.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I know just about nothing about hockey in Poland, but that looks a lot like the US NTDP. Some of Poland's best players playing in a club tournament with Team Poland jerseys. Would playing USHL games for the US NTDP count as international competition, though? I don't know.

That could very well be true. I also have no knowledge about hockey in Poland. But on the surface it seems weird to me that Stachowiak playing in a tournament like that (which for the most part features club teams) for a Poland select team would affect his eligibility to play for Germany.

In the end I just hope the kid's career does not suffer from his inability to play the WJC-18 this year.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
This season i bit off more than I could chew, which is why I will focus on fewer prospects next season.
I am currently putting together preliminary lists of players from each year that should be the top prospects. Since I can mostly only go by their numbers, I would appreciate any input regarding players I should add or remove from the list.

In the end I don't want more than 10 players per year.
I'll start by posting the preliminary lists in the OPs, and once the season starts, I will switch to the new layout discussed earlier in this thread.

Obviously there may be reasons to add/remove players over the course of the coming season.

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
#370: Top-Talents

Hello everybody,

i'm new, but very interested in the German Top-prospects. In response of the post #370 my two cents:

Talents 2001:

G Tobias Ancicka; Eisbären Juniors Berlin U19
D Moritz Seider; Mannheimer Jungadler U19
D Christian Obu; Starbulls Rosenheim U19
D Jan Nijenhuis; Mannheimer Jungadler U19
F Nino Kinder; Eisbären Juniors Berlin U19
F Filip Reisenecker; Mannheimer Jungadler U19
F Manuel Alberg; KEC Kölner Junghaie U19
F Kevin Strom; KEC Kölner Junghaie U19
F Sebastian Stanik; Starbulls Rosenheim U19
F Jan Schumacher; Krefelder EV 1981 U19
F Kevin Slezak; EC Bad Tölz U19
F Filip Varejcka; EC Red Bull Salzburg U18

Talents 2002:

G Florian Bugl; EC Red Bull Salzburg U17
G Arno Tiefensee; ES Weißwasser U16
D Leonard Korus; KEC Kölner Junghaie U16
D Maximilian Glötzl; KEC Kölner Junghaie U16
D Daniel Schwaiger; EC Red Bull Salzburg U17
F Lukas Reichel; Starbulls Rosenheim U16
F Tim Stützle; Krefelder EV 1981 U16
F John-Jason Peterka; EC Red Bull Salzburg U17
F Samuel Dube; EC Red Bull Salzburg U17
F Fabian Herrmann, EV Regensburg U16
F Josef Eham; EC Bad Tölz U16
F Jimmy Martinovic; SC Bietigheim-Bissingen U16
F Jakub Borzecki; SC Bietigheim-Bissingen U16
F Senna Peters; EC Red Bull Salzburg U17
F Joshua Samanski; Mannheimer Jungadler U16
F Florian Elias; Mannheimer Jungadler U16
F Maximilian Miller, ESV Kaufbeuren U16
F David Diebolder, ESV Kaufbeuren U16

I named more than 10 players. 10 is a really hard cut for young players on the way to elite. Nobody knows the development of the players in the puberty.

Talent 2003:

F Robin van Calster; KEC Kölner Junghaie U16
F Klaus Heigl; EC Bad Tölz U16
F Nikolaus Heigl; EC Bad Tölz U16
G Nikita Quapp; EC Red Bull Salzburg U16
G Luca Ganz; ESV Kaufbeuren U14

Talents 2004:

F Julian Lutz; EC Red Bull Salzburg U16
F Moritz Elias; ESV Kaufbeuren U14

Last edited:

Halfdan

May 23, 2017
Hockey rink
I edit and complete the list in #373 with the list in #375.

Philip Hecht is not his father. He is with 6'3'' a really oversized player for a 2003 with low skating and stickhandling skills. In my opinion, he is only in the Mannheimer Eliteprogramm because his name is Hecht.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad