German Prospects for the NHL Draft

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
By now, I really wouldn't be surprised at all to see Stachowiak picked. At the start of the season, I wasn't sure about his hockey sense, but he's really proven me wrong on that one. Extremely fast skater with quick hands, a nose for the net, and great playmaking abilities as well. Just a consistently good player overall.

I can't help but wonder how heavily he's been scouted.
Given the track record of players drafted out of German juniors, I find it hard to believe that scouts have really followed him that closely.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
I can't help but wonder how heavily he's been scouted.
Given the track record of players drafted out of German juniors, I find it hard to believe that scouts have really followed him that closely.

They've been paying attention to Reichel from the start, so I wouldn't be too surprised. Mannheim has always been Germany's junior power house so if there's one team that gets you exposure, it's them. Plus, he's played at international tournaments.

I don't expect Stachowiak to be drafted, I just wouldn't be surprised either.

Players like Phillipp Kuhnekath are getting DEL time in Krefeld, Reichel is playing DEL2 in Rosenheim, and I'm sure Stachowiak could be on either one of those teams already. But given his birth year and the fact that Mannheim wants to win the DNL championship while having one of the best DEL teams, he's still in the DNL.

I'll definitely put in a good word for him with some WHL executives and scouts this year.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
When considering these players you also have to remember they're heading into the weakest draft in the last five years. Gawanke will get drafted, players like Bergmann, Reichel, Stachowiak, Beck all have a shot in the latter rounds. Personally I think Stachowiak could go to the USHL and put up good numbers. Then go on to NCAA whether he gets drafted or not.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
When considering these players you also have to remember they're heading into the weakest draft in the last five years. Gawanke will get drafted, players like Bergmann, Reichel, Stachowiak, Beck all have a shot in the latter rounds. Personally I think Stachowiak could go to the USHL and put up good numbers. Then go on to NCAA whether he gets drafted or not.

I don't think that's a fair statement. There isn't as much top-end talent as we've seen in recent years. But after that, it's just another draft. Especially in the late rounds, which is where Germans get drafted if they do, it's always a crap shoot. You like a player, you pick him. And there are still enough players around to pick from.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think Thomas Reichel is the most likely candidate. Scouts seem to like him.
Stachowiak is very interesting, as others have already pointed out.
And if you count him, he plays for Salzburg (so not in Germany), goalie Benjamin Beck might intrigue an NHL team with his 6'7'' frame.

Last year I thought Marvin Ratmann would have a decent chance, but his season didn't really go well (was injured a long time).

I would surprised if any one of them is picked, but they're the only ones with an outside shot.

Personally I believe the only German picked in this draft will be Leon Gawanke who plays in the Q.

Possible.

My feeling at the moment is that no Germans will be taken. However, it seems the scouting community is viewing this as a so-so group of prospects, so maybe there'll be a surprise or two in favor of a German?

For what it's worth, Gawanke was playing 3rd line minutes for Team Germany at the D1A U20. Even a guy playing for Essen in the Oberliga was getting more ice time and had a regular spot on the PP.

Last edited:

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
What do you guys think, which german players are going to be selected in the CHL import draft? Any 01´s to get picked in the USHL draft?

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
For what it's worth, Gawanke was playing 3rd line minutes for Team Germany at the D1A U20. Even a guy playing for Essen in the Oberliga was getting more ice time and had a regular spot on the PP.

that's because gawanke is a 99er and WJC was about 97ers. and we all know how it works in german national teams. they rarely use younger kids and if they have to it's in minor roles. it is about age and not about how good players are in germany. always has been.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
What do you guys think, which german players are going to be selected in the CHL import draft? Any 01´s to get picked in the USHL draft?

Like always a few overages I think will go, like Bindels, Stachowiak, Ratmann etc. I think Bokk will definitely go. Eckl, Seider, Valenti and Dersch also have a chance. Alexandrov was already drafted to the USHL but I have a feeling he might got the the MHL.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Bokk with 3 points today. Also wins the race for the leagues top-scorer, 1 point ahead of Dani Bindels and Stachowiak.

Mike Glemser with a hat-trick today. 3 slashing penalties in a row in just 11 minutes. Congrats :)

Miric

Jan 8, 2017
Do you think they are going to update the stats for German u17 and u16 nationals on eliteprospects?

Last edited:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Marco Sternheimer with two goals and one assist vs. Krefeld yesterday, although he also had an assist on the 3-1 goal but the refs probably missed that. Kid's got amazing skill and is a great skater, but I find it hard to evaluate his hockey sense. Players who have that much more skill than everyone else tend to play a little selfish -- that leads to a ton of points but also a ton of bad low-danger shots or turnovers when line mates are in better position.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
The DNL final four round is streamed live on sportdeutschland.tv by the way. Dusseldorf vs. Mannheim starting right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad