New notable mentions for the upcoming draft 2024

Didnt See Ficenec or seidl comming
Sumpf as an overager is interesting
6781778E-EF48-478A-B879-F8F95DAE4BAB.jpeg

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Thanks for sharing. I just want to comment on a few of them.

Bleicher and Späth:
They are the two I have not seen recently. I think it was October or maybe early November for both. I need to catch some games of them soon. I always liked Bleicher, but have also been a bit hesitant about him to, probably because he is still playing in Füssen. But it doesn't seem to have hurt his development.
Späth has always been going up and down in my estimation. He has some serious skill, but at times he looked too much like a puck hog out there. Like I said it has been a little while since I saw him and the last few times I did, this puck hog thing did not seem to be a problem. On the contrary his game looked much more mature. If that continues he will likely rise again.

Schneider:
I could not agree any more. I am still not sure if I'd say he has any elite skills except scoring. I absolutely expect him to get some games in the DEL and/or DEL2 next season, unless he decides to leave the country.

Händel:
I think you are spot on about his offensive potential.
While he will probably struggle a little more on the defensive side of the game, I think he will still be good enough defensively not to be a liability. Last I saw he still struggles sometimes with aggressive forechecks and he gets pushed around too easily. But for me he is still my number 1 prospect of this group right now.

This year:
I don't really see why a team would use a pick on Oswald unless they have way too many picks. I would probably offer him a camp invite and if he shows some promise sign him as a free agent.
If a team uses a pick, it will probably be a 6th or 7th round pick, anything else would be a surprise.

I am still a big fan of Roman Kechter, but he won't be drafted. But I am still really happy with his development this season. I think he will be one of the prospects in the DEL that gets to stick around even when he no longer counts as a U23 player.

Imo Mayer has to continue his development and show that he can play in the DEL consistently in order to get drafted. After mostly stagnating for a while he seems to have gotten back on track somewhat. I just hope his games and his ice time don't go away.

Long term I like Merkl best, even though he will probably not get drafted. I think he is just solid all around and will be very good player in the DEL some day.
There are advantages to selecting Oswald this year. It won’t be until the later rounds, and if a team selects him they have a two years to sign him I believe, so rather than drafting an 18 year old and lose his rights when he turns 20 - drafting a kid like Oswald at 20 you don’t have to sign him until he is 22/23 where theoretically he is closer to the NHL at that age.

Invites to camps are great, but they rarely amount to anything because there is only 50 avaliable contract slots every given season. If you draft Oswald you can just hold onto his rights for a few years and follow his progress instead.

I haven’t been the biggest fan of Späth, for reasons you listed plus his compete level isn’t always there. Sometimes he just floats there and waits for the offense to come to him. There has been more intensity this year and responsible play and the NT seems to really like him.

Kechter is another option like Oswald and I like his game too, and I agree without a doubt at minimum Kechter/Oswald/Hauf I feel will be main stays in the DEL and the German NT’s.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Just a quick question for those who check out my rankings.
Should I integrate the still draft eligible overagers in the ranking for the current draft?

If some of you are in favor of this I would do so with the next ranking in March, and add the deserving overagers like Oswald, to the ranking for the 2024 draft.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Amazing work as always Mav.

I thought I’d stop by and give some thoughts on some of our future prospects.

Grivas

Such a shame their progress hasn’t been as rapid as we hoped. There is definitely potential there for both, particularly Richards but I don’t think we see them as guaranteed draft selections anymore for next season. Just goes to show you that the jump from U17 to U20 is still quite a leap for even the most talented kids we have. Here’s hoping we see them both crush it next year and prove me wrong.

Lewandowski

Still tracking very well, I wonder if we could see him leave Germany and try his hand at CHL hockey in Danada or maybe he can convince a team in the SHL or Allsvenskan to play him against men next year. This is assuming of course he isn’t given a full time spot with legitimate playing time in the DEL next year. He is a very smart player who prefers to slow down the pace of play because he isn’t the best skater. I hope we see him continue his play, we could see him be a second or third round pick if all goes well!

Willhöft

You all know how much I love watching him play - he couldn’t produce in the Swedish junior leagues unfortunately, and although he has looked better in the DNL, it’s still a disappointment he didn’t work out in Sweden. This is a kid I expect to go into the CHL and I hope he goes to a good program where he gets top-6 ice time and PP time. He is one of our most promising offensive talents in a while, so I hope he can continue to work and pull it all together.

Bleicher

I think he is amazing and still expect him to be a legitimate option to get drafted. He has so much potential as a defensive player, I would just like to see him take more initiative offensively. At the very least, I think he’ll be a stalwart on our national teams for years to come.

Händel

Where as Bleicher i like his defensive potential, Händel is the opposite. I really like his offensive game, so elusive and confident with the puck. Thinking a step ahead and making plays from the backend. I really hope he can see some mens league games next year and maybe we see him Go CHL? I think he would thrive there.

Schneider

All he does is score, and has done it at every level so far with good consistency. Still not sure what to think of him. Just one of those guys you flip flop on until their draft year to see how they preform. I just hope he is in a position to show he can produce next year wherever he goes.

Späth

Continues to grow on me, impressive what he is doing against men at his age. I know the quality of completion isn’t great but it should be easier to ease his way into Mens leagues next year. I think he is the wild card among the 2007 borns. Could surprise us next year.

I don’t think anyone deserves to be drafted this year among the first time eligibles. Mayer I think has the best chance due to previous notoriety, and we may be surprise like with Bicker last year. I think Veit Oswald has a chance of going this year because of his WJC performance and speed. Maybe a team thinks they can turn him into a bottom-6 forward in the NHL, which I think is reasonable.
Surprised you don’t like Bleicher’s offensive potential. I haven’t seen him play much, so I don’t know. But his point totals at every level including Oberliga look excellent.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Surprised you don’t like Bleicher’s offensive potential. I haven’t seen him play much, so I don’t know. But his point totals at every level including Oberliga look excellent.
I’m always pretty reluctant with point totals on defenders especially levels I’m not overly familiar with because they can be easily taken out of context. I have only seen one full game of him this year, and he looked similar as he did from what I had seen to this point. Strong skating, good outlets, responsible play at both ends of the ice.

Reactions: pgfan66

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I don’t think anyone deserves to be drafted this year among the first time eligibles. Mayer I think has the best chance due to previous notoriety, and we may be surprise like with Bicker last year. I think Veit Oswald has a chance of going this year because of his WJC performance and speed. Maybe a team thinks they can turn him into a bottom-6 forward in the NHL, which I think is reasonable.

This is spot on.

I would add to the bolded part that I am aware that several teams in the NHL pay a little bit more attention to Munich and the ongoings of the whole Red Bull program than others.

One of those clubs is quite obvious.:)

And for teams watching his DEL play as well, I think they'll see him in a favorable light. He has done quite a bit to keep himself recognized, going above and beyond his continued contributions in what has become basically a top 9 role - or at least spot duty in a top 9 role.

And although a DY+2 at this point, he'll be 19 right on through the draft (AUG 31st BDay).

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Just a quick question for those who check out my rankings.
Should I integrate the still draft eligible overagers in the ranking for the current draft?

If some of you are in favor of this I would do so with the next ranking in March, and add the deserving overagers like Oswald, to the ranking for the 2024 draft.

Just adore your lists @Maverick41

They are by far the most comprehensive of anything regarding the German market.

As for your question, I think it's just fine the way it is, with a list of 1st time eligibles and then one with overagers. Helps to keep a good eye on everything.

I guess you'll be looking to update them in March. There has surely been some shifting since the fall.

Reactions: pgfan66

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
This is spot on.

I would add to the bolded part that I am aware that several teams in the NHL pay a little bit more attention to Munich and the ongoings of the whole Red Bull program than others.

One of those clubs is quite obvious.:)

And for teams watching his DEL play as well, I think they'll see him in a favorable light. He has done quite a bit to keep himself recognized, going above and beyond his continued contributions in what has become basically a top 9 role - or at least spot duty in a top 9 role.

And although a DY+2 at this point, he'll be 19 right on through the draft (AUG 31st BDay).

From what I have seen Oswald, who had been playing pretty well all season, has stepped up his game even more since the World Juniors. Sometimes young players like him will have stretches where they get on the scoreboard somewhat regularly, but when you watch them they are still looking like junior players in a pro league. Oswald is different. He looks comfortable out there and like just another player on the team (I mean that in a good way). I really think he would be on the team even if there was no rule forcing teams to dress U23 players.

As for your question, I think it's just fine the way it is, with a list of 1st time eligibles and then one with overagers. Helps to keep a good eye on everything.

I guess you'll be looking to update them in March. There has surely been some shifting since the fall.

Thanks. I think I will keep my list for overagers separate on here, but I will also post a link to a combined ranking on eliteprospects.
And yes, I will update the lists again in March, but it will be more towards the middle or end of the month, since I missed a full week of watching games in mid February due to illness.

I am also tinkering with a new rating system. I might be going for a 0 to 5 star system instead of the A-D tier ranking, but at this point I think I'll wait until next season or at least until the June rankings before I make that switch.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

Agreed on the above. Checked the rankings out again because of your "surely been some shifting" comment and I came to the shitty conclusion that yes, my list would probably look completely different but who even f-ing cares because none of these guys will be drafted anyway.

2025 looks a lot more interesting, but at the same time, I still have major question marks about all of them.

Anyway, just for funsies, here's where I'm currently at with 2024 (I think...?):

1. Pul – One of the few Germans who know how to skate, along with some skill and compete
2. Mayer – Based on size+skating alone, but I really don't like him
3. Tropmann – Love the player, but he's probably too small to ever even make it to the AHL
4. Merkl – Excellent skater, not enough skill
5. Sager – The most pro-ready on his line with Schneider and Schäfer, but at the same time those 07s are outscoring him
6. Schwarz – I like the complete package, good two-way player, but not exactly exciting
7. Seidl – Has more exciting flashes than Schwarz but is less complete and nothing exciting overall
8. Vinzens – Meh
9. Kretzschmar – Like the skill and skating, hate the hockey sense

Call this my Do Not Draft list. Everyone beyond isn't even worth mentioning.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Agreed on the above. Checked the rankings out again because of your "surely been some shifting" comment and I came to the shitty conclusion that yes, my list would probably look completely different but who even f-ing cares because none of these guys will be drafted anyway.

2025 looks a lot more interesting, but at the same time, I still have major question marks about all of them.

Anyway, just for funsies, here's where I'm currently at with 2024 (I think...?):

1. Pul – One of the few Germans who know how to skate, along with some skill and compete
2. Mayer – Based on size+skating alone, but I really don't like him
3. Tropmann – Love the player, but he's probably too small to ever even make it to the AHL
4. Merkl – Excellent skater, not enough skill
5. Sager – The most pro-ready on his line with Schneider and Schäfer, but at the same time those 07s are outscoring him
6. Schwarz – I like the complete package, good two-way player, but not exactly exciting
7. Seidl – Has more exciting flashes than Schwarz but is less complete and nothing exciting overall
8. Vinzens – Meh
9. Kretzschmar – Like the skill and skating, hate the hockey sense

Call this my Do Not Draft list. Everyone beyond isn't even worth mentioning.

Sound list.

My personal belief is that after next season, Tropmann is going to be at the top of the list for this year's crop. It'll be a year later, of course, but I think next year at this time he'll be looking like a draft-worthy player as an overager.

Of the players on this list, if any actually get drafted, it'll likely be Mayer in one of the final two rounds and, like @GermanSpitfire said, it'll be because of the slight media attention he's been given (whether deserving or not) along the way. For Pul to get drafted at this point, he's going to have to head up to Denmark for the D1A U18 Worlds and basically put up 15+ points. Tools be damned, he's just done too little this season, so even that may not do it.

Ironically, the guy you write "meh" about is the one who has peaked my curiosity the most in recent months when it comes to 1st year draft eligibles. Not being at the WJC prolly took him out of the drafting equation altogether (especially with a comparable in Schreiner having slid into that line-up), but Paul Vinzenz has been looking really good for the RB Juniors the past 6 weeks. He's been a tank out there and he's one who bears watching as an overage option in the coming years. I love how he protects the puck while moving in from the boards and corners like a tank to attack the goal.

As a sidenote, I've seen things I like and don't like about all these young men (as prospects) but I do think Sager possesses some traits that are going to make him more quickly capable and perhaps quite effective at the pro level. I don't know if the DEL is the best league he's ever going to be able to play in (might be), but as I told someone in the Eisbären organization after his Hlinka Cup performance last summer, I'd be force-feeding him with videos of Nico Sturm if it were up to me. Just tell him to do all that, because that's what he should concentrate on becoming.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
My personal belief is that after next season, Tropmann is going to be at the top of the list for this year's crop. It'll be a year later, of course, but I think next year at this time he'll be looking like a draft-worthy player as an overager.
I strongly disagree. I love the player and think he'll have a good DEL career and would be a great junior in the CHL. But he's not a good enough skater and doesn't have any dynamic skill, which usually kills those undersized D-men. He might one day become a Troy Stecher type, but those tend to be signed as undrafted free agents.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Ok, with a bit of a delay I am starting to update the rankings for March (even if it's April now). No idea how quickly I'll be able to get through them, so bear with me.

The new rating system is still a work in progress and for now I am not including the ratings in the rankings, because I am just not finished thinking things through for most of the prospects.
Over next couple of weeks I hope to be able to add the ratings, but I can't make any promises.
The ratings for the prospects in the rankings of the later drafts will be based to a greater extent on potential than on what they are right now. So, if they end up with higher ratings it doesn't automatically mean that I think those draft classes are better. For example, I would have ranked many prospects for the 2024 draft a fair bit higher 2 or 3 years ago.

I have also left off the stats, because I did not have the time to update them and with my job being really busy right now, I am sort of running on fumes. Hopefully the final rankings in June will go smoother.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad