German Football Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Today's Götze has nothing to do with Iniesta. Like Bure said Götze needs to prove he can take the next step. I have doubts. He'll maybe end up being the former "best German player that didn't pan out" of his age.
Overall I'm not impressed with Götze.

He certainly does he plays the same position as those two. He doesn't play where Mesut, or even KdB do. It's not his job to get goals & assists and he's very slick at his job...at least in the matches I've seen of theirs this season. The overall possession structure is crappy so their movements end up falling apart, but I haven't been this impressed with Mario since BVB pulled the silver-treble :dunno:

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
gotcha, just wanted to give some props because I use that comp all the time now and can't believe I didn't think of it...mine used to be a faster Klinsi

PS You consider Villa to be more the counter player? I always felt like he was much more clever when interplaying with the rest of that spanish team, while Torres was more the wild man who ran away from everyone when they did decide to counter :-/ I didn't watch too much La Liga during the young-Torres and Villa days though, so that's mostly based on CL & NT play.

See the way I see Villa is as the counter player, because at Valencia with Silva and Mata that was how they played. Constantly on the break. I also think of the goal he scored against Chile in 2010 where they were countering, Bravo comes out to tackle, and he hits the ball from miles away to put it in the goal. At Liverpool with Torres I remember games like Inter and RM where they completely dominated on the front foot and put him in position to smash the ball in with just a few touches.

I think with the benefit of hindsight that Villa was the better overall player, and I also think that with the benefit of that hindsight that I would rather compare Timo to him, as I also think Timo would be great as a front foot forward.

Reactions: cgf

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
He certainly does he plays the same position as those two. He doesn't play where Mesut, or even KdB do. It's not his job to get goals & assists and he's very slick at his job...at least in the matches I've seen of theirs this season. The overall possession structure is crappy so their movements end up falling apart, but I haven't been this impressed with Mario since BVB pulled the silver-treble :dunno:

It doesnt matter where he plays. On the highest level you need a minimum of dynamic. That's what Götze lost. Slowly i would rank Dahoud above him at the 8 Position.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
All the criticisms of Götze harp on the common theme that he's not good enough in individual situations and ignore how brilliant he is in a team dynamic. It really doesn't matter if he's not fast or doesn't challenge defenders.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
lol Dadashov's career continues to sink further as Frankfurt terminate his contract.

Good thing he got that payout for switching NTs before ceasing to give any f***s.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Watzke could snag those two & Nagelsmann that would be an insanely good summer...provided he also got an adequate Weigl-replacement...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
lol Dadashov's career continues to sink further as Frankfurt terminate his contract.

Good thing he got that payout for switching NTs before ceasing to give any f***s.

He wasn't any different before, always been a total idiot. But with his talent he will find a new club to poison the dressing room in.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zagadou played once under Stoeger, got a muscle injury, and will likely miss the rest of the season.

It is irresponsible to have a player go 90 minutes in a big match after not playing him for 4 months. Great way to get injured.

Reactions: Deficient Mode

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I understand that Weigl has been bad this season, but bad Weigl>Castro. It also forces Dahoud to play a role he probably isn't capable of playing against Bayern.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
So Köln conceded 6 and HSV are still last. Lol.
96 with a great comeback, destroyed by the refs. Whatever, every serious fan knew it was coming and as long as the teams below us suck even worse, I am okay with that.
Leverkusen can't win or score, I hope they don't sneak into the CL spots.
Bayern might win this evening, probably it won't be that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad