German Football 2021-2022

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
BVB just couldn't restrain themselves after Florian Kohfeldt was made available, I'm suspecting. :sarcasm:

I shouldn't make jokes, watch it be Svensson, Baumgart or Hoeneß. :banghead:

I'm kind of surprised. They didn't look all that good this season and finished 2nd more by default than merit (and Marsch-ball causing Leipzig to stumble early), but between the constant Haaland distraction and injury issues figure they would have given him at least a good quarter or half season, especially with the new signings.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
BVB just couldn't restrain themselves after Florian Kohfeldt was made available, I'm suspecting. :sarcasm:

I shouldn't make jokes, watch it be Svensson, Baumgart or Hoeneß. :banghead:

I'm kind of surprised. They didn't look all that good this season and finished 2nd more by default than merit (and Marsch-ball causing Leipzig to stumble early), but between the constant Haaland distraction and injury issues figure they would have given him at least a good quarter or half season, especially with the new signings.
Almost certainly Terzic. I hope I’m wrong though.

Watzke wasn’t convinced, and we all know that the coach is done when you get on his bad side.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Favre to Gladbach. Well,...

Great news. I like Hütter, but the Swiss professor is the best coach they’ve had this century & there’s been enough roster turnover for the guys who had started to tune him out to be replaced by new players

Why? Tersic knows the club in and out and had a (short) stint with the pros.

I didn’t think he was very good during that stint. A clear downgrade from Favre.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Terzic is very unproven, and his accomplishments weren’t that great.

He gets a lot of credit for a good end to the season in the league, but early on he was very bad and put them in a position where they might’ve not qualified for UCL. Dortmund’s UCL qualification was safe when Favre was sacked.

Also, while I’d give him credit for winning the Cup, he had Reus, Sancho, and Haaland all playing extremely well late on in that season. He can be given some credit for that, but it’s hard not to succeed when you have those three playing well at the same time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He gets a lot of credit for a good end to the season in the league, but early on he was very bad and put them in a position where they might’ve not qualified for UCL. Dortmund’s UCL qualification was safe when Favre was sacked.

Also, while I’d give him credit for winning the Cup, he had Reus, Sancho, and Haaland all playing extremely well late on in that season. He can be given some credit for that, but it’s hard not to succeed when you have those three playing well at the same time.

I guess the hope is that he played a big part in revitalizing Sancho & Reus after they had seemed to check out a little under tastmaster Favre?

Though I dunno how much of that is on Terzic & how much was just circumstances.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004

Dortmund is developing players and wants to make money in CL and BL. Watzke and Zorc admitted it. Why would any high profile coach even consider Dortmund? Sad but true, Germany has only one top club and we will see what will happen there this summer.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Looks like Kaiserslautern and Dynamo Dresden will end up with a 0-0 stalemate after first leg promotion/relegation play-off. I bet Lautern fans would have felt fantastic if this late sub Wunderlich would have scored for them :)

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think that should have been a PK for the cans there, though they're being excessively whiny today (undoubtedly feeling hard done by non-handball on the Freiburg goal, the straight red, the non-PK call previously--all correct calls, I believe) so not going to be too fussed about it.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Well-earned from Leipzig. Freiburg never looked likely to win that for most of the second half on. Nkunku is just on another level this year, hope we get to see him in the BL for at least another year.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Everybody should practice to take penalties like Nkunku and Olmo did. Unstoppable, but still far away enough from top corner, so the risk of shot going wide or over is minimal because there's room for error margin in accuracy.

Must have been tough for Freiburg players to stay on the pitch to wait half an hour for the trophy ceremony to begin.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007

Dortmund was in fifth place when Favre was sacked, so not in a CL spot. And it's hard to judge Terzic performance when he had no preseason or break. I'd say the performance was more or less similiar to Favre in that season, but the team noticably improved towards the end. I'd say that is encouraging at least, but no doubt that Terzic is unproven and thus a risky choice. On the other hand, who would have been a realistic (and arguably better) alternative? I can't really think of one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dortmund was in fifth place when Favre was sacked, so not in a CL spot. And it's hard to judge Terzic performance when he had no preseason or break. I'd say the performance was more or less similiar to Favre in that season, but the team noticably improved towards the end. I'd say that is encouraging at least, but no doubt that Terzic is unproven and thus a risky choice. On the other hand, who would have been a realistic (and arguably better) alternative? I can't really think of one.
Dortmund doesn’t choose coaches that don’t speak German, so that’s what we are starting with looking for alternatives.

I can’t think of a great option. Roger Schmidt has been mentioned previously when there was an opening. I think Matthias Jaissle will find his way to the Bundesliga in another season or two, although one season as Salzburg manager might not have been enough. Enrico Maaben also isn’t ready, but the Dortmund staff rates highly. He probably needs a few years in the Bundesliga before Dortmund would consider him. He’s been mentioned as a candidate for the Augsburg job.

The wildcard option could’ve been ten Haag. I suspect he’d choose United over Dortmund, but there’s a possibility that he’s fired by United within a few years and Terzic doesn’t make it that many years as manager either. That wasn’t going to happen now, but may be a wildcard option in a few years.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Dortmund doesn’t choose coaches that don’t speak German, so that’s what we are starting with looking for alternatives.

I can’t think of a great option. Roger Schmidt has been mentioned previously when there was an opening. I think Matthias Jaissle will find his way to the Bundesliga in another season or two, although one season as Salzburg manager might not have been enough. Enrico Maaben also isn’t ready, but the Dortmund staff rates highly. He probably needs a few years in the Bundesliga before Dortmund would consider him. He’s been mentioned as a candidate for the Augsburg job.

The wildcard option could’ve been ten Haag. I suspect he’d choose United over Dortmund, but there’s a possibility that he’s fired by United within a few years and Terzic doesn’t make it that many years as manager either. That wasn’t going to happen now, but may be a wildcard option in a few years.
Jaissle would've been too similiar to Rose and as you say, not much more proven. Same for Maaßen and ten Haag simply isn't available, so not an option. Maybe Urs Fischer, he's doing great work at Union, but - as with Streich in Freiburg - the big question is how it would translate to a bigger club. Svensson had a great start at Mainz but cooled off.

In the end I don't think there is any obviously better candidate and Terzic is the logical choice. But yes, also very unproven.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jaissle would've been too similiar to Rose and as you say, not much more proven. Same for Maaßen and ten Haag simply isn't available, so not an option. Maybe Urs Fischer, he's doing great work at Union, but - as with Streich in Freiburg - the big question is how it would translate to a bigger club. Svensson had a great start at Mainz but cooled off.

In the end I don't think there is any obviously better candidate and Terzic is the logical choice. But yes, also very unproven.
I forget where I heard this, but I saw someone saying that the best option was keeping Rose, even if you don’t have complete trust in the job he’s doing. If things don’t get better early next season under Rose then you can always go to Terzic mid season at some point. Now, Dortmund has put themselves in a corner, if Terzic struggles next season.

It’s possible though that Rose was the one who said he won’t continue without complete backing. At that point, they either lie to him to keep him or he walks away, so it may not be as simple as keeping Rose without completely backing him.

Anyway, all speculation. Bigger issue I see is that this club can’t find any stability with managers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad