German Football 2021-2022

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Well all the Kruse talk needs to land somewhere. Anyway, St Pauli about to start their 2-year Bundesliga title plan.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
A very good game. Hamburg was better and deserved to win. Hopefully Werder won't be surprised badly tomorrow

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Hard to say how this match will be evaluated in 8 months time. Schalke perhaps just lost to the dominant team going up gloriously, and could join them in doing so. Or there's further shambles ahead of both of them.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
A very good game. Hamburg was better and deserved to win. Hopefully Werder won't be surprised badly tomorrow

Hamburg certainly were the more ambitious team & they controlled the play, but I can't help but feel like Schalke fell asleep defensively to give that one away. Hamburg certainly tried, but man did they look bereft of ideas in the final third.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Hamburg certainly were the more ambitious team & they controlled the play, but I can't help but feel like Schalke fell asleep defensively to give that one away. Hamburg certainly tried, but man did they look bereft of ideas in the final third.
This is a big failure by Schalke! The next opponet is Holstein Kiel.
If Schalke loses again, there will be a lot of trouble.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Blah. Dynamo Dresden starts with a 3-0 win over Ingolstadt and BFC Dynamo is tied with Lokomotive Leipzig at half time.

At least Karslruhe won.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
BFC and Lok are actually both great stories of how a core of loyal fans can keep a club alive that no big-time investor would be interested in. It's actually almost funny that they play at the same level as the likes of R-W Essen, Alemannia Aachen, Kickers Offenbach, VfB Lübeck, Fortuna Köln, Preußen Münster, R-W Oberhausen and SSV Ulm 1846 given that those clubs did not have to deal with the collapse of the social and economic system that propped them up, did not have to deal with being associated with that fallen regime or being seen as a club only supported by hooligans. Those clubs just plain screwed up repeatedly to dig themselves into a hole.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
BFC are seen as a club only supported by hooligans because they had more hooligans on police watchlists than they averaged in attendance when they played in the Oberliga, and because they start s*** with every other fanbase...

They have earned their reputation & continue to earn it.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
BFC are seen as a club only supported by hooligans because they had more hooligans on police watchlists than they averaged in attendance when they played in the Oberliga, and because they start s*** with every other fanbase...

They have earned their reputation & continue to earn it.

The kids that were the infamous BFC "firm" in the 80s and early 90s are all men around 60-65 years now. Even if those guys were hooligans through the 90s, and maybe even came out against Kaiserslautern nearly 10 years ago now, it seems pretty fair to say they'd be mostly retired from that now if only by the physical reality of the aging process.

If one looks at BFC in recent years one will notice that the younger generation of fans is mostly just imitating the same Ultra culture you see at all German clubs now, and while there's an 'edge' to it you won't necessarily find with every club in the West, I'd say it's pretty comparable to all the other Eastern teams. Except of course it's going to be a much smaller group than at sides with larger followings in the higher divisions.

I'm not even sure why you - having been born in 1990 and thus never experiencing the actual heyday of that rivalry or the days when BFC hooligans were a force to truly be reckoned with - are so invested in that rivalry. It's been so long that BFC and Union have played in the same division and even longer that BFC were seen as a relevant team. I'd say that in the current day even Union ultras worry more about Hertha's groups with a presence in the East than about Dynamo.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
BFC and Lok are actually both great stories of how a core of loyal fans can keep a club alive that no big-time investor would be interested in. It's actually almost funny that they play at the same level as the likes of R-W Essen, Alemannia Aachen, Kickers Offenbach, VfB Lübeck, Fortuna Köln, Preußen Münster, R-W Oberhausen and SSV Ulm 1846 given that those clubs did not have to deal with the collapse of the social and economic system that propped them up, did not have to deal with being associated with that fallen regime or being seen as a club only supported by hooligans. Those clubs just plain screwed up repeatedly to dig themselves into a hole.

Debatable.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The kids that were the infamous BFC "firm" in the 80s and early 90s are all men around 60-65 years now. Even if those guys were hooligans through the 90s, and maybe even came out against Kaiserslautern nearly 10 years ago now, it seems pretty fair to say they'd be mostly retired from that now if only by the physical reality of the aging process.

If one looks at BFC in recent years one will notice that the younger generation of fans is mostly just imitating the same Ultra culture you see at all German clubs now, and while there's an 'edge' to it you won't necessarily find with every club in the West, I'd say it's pretty comparable to all the other Eastern teams. Except of course it's going to be a much smaller group than at sides with larger followings in the higher divisions.

I'm not even sure why you - having been born in 1990 and thus never experiencing the actual heyday of that rivalry or the days when BFC hooligans were a force to truly be reckoned with - are so invested in that rivalry. It's been so long that BFC and Union have played in the same division and even longer that BFC were seen as a relevant team. I'd say that in the current day even Union ultras worry more about Hertha's groups with a presence in the East than about Dynamo.

Because it's not just the oldies. BFC fans still regularly start s*** and we saw plenty of drama when they played in the same division as our 2nd team just a few years ago...which was the season I was referring to in which they had more fans on watchlists than they averaged in attendance. I may not have been alive for the "heyday", so I'm sure they used to be even worse, but they are still really s***ty...at least as a group; there's probably at least one BFC who is a decent human being.

Hertha being the bigger competitive / commercial rival doesn't change any of that...especially because only douchebags like Hertha :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad