Speculation: Gerard Gallant and the Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What happen to Julien mentoring Ducharme to be our next coach? People drop that idea already?

Ducharme is the guy I'd want to see take the helm of Habs... if I was certain he's ready for it, and I'm not sure he is to be honest. Ducharme's coaching record isn't much different than Gallant if we completely disregard Gallant's NHL stints. It may even be arguably better.

As interesting as Gallant is as a candidate... it would still be recycling.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I just don't get the Championship vibe from Gallant. I think he's an excellent coach and a really high end assistant coach, but I don't think he's the direction this team will go.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Ducharme is the guy I'd want to see take the helm of Habs... if I was certain he's ready for it, and I'm not sure he is to be honest. Ducharme's coaching record isn't much different than Gallant if we completely disregard Gallant's NHL stints. It may even be arguably better.

As interesting as Gallant is as a candidate... it would still be recycling.
Would take Ducherme over CJ in a heartbeat!! That being said, all we have to do is consider all candidates, and get the BEST one, if he is franco, this is great, but if there is a better guy who is english, we have to go that route....we have to.
The Habs have put themselves in this position of being terrible for years, because of a policy that handcuffs themselves, and the fans are the real losers................the people who actually spend the $$$ to see the team win, no matter the language.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Would take Ducherme over CJ in a heartbeat!! That being said, all we have to do is consider all candidates, and get the BEST one, if he is franco, this is great, but if there is a better guy who is english, we have to go that route....we have to.
The Habs have put themselves in this position of being terrible for years, because of a policy that handcuffs themselves, and the fans are the real losers................the people who actually spend the $$$ to see the team win, no matter the language.

Why would there have to be a better English-only candidate?

If an English-only candidate is hired, would he be presumed to be the best available coach solely based on this ?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I just don't get the Championship vibe from Gallant. I think he's an excellent coach and a really high end assistant coach, but I don't think he's the direction this team will go.

Possibly. And it's not like we can't offer him some huge amount of money either.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Possibly. And it's not like we can't offer him some huge amount of money either.

If he wants to be an assistant, sure. But who gets fired? Not Ducharme and I doubt Muller or Richardson.

Maybe Julien gets fired, Ducharme takes over and Gallant steps in as an assistant.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
I would rather look elsewhere , getting tired of the recycling. IMO we need a more forward thinking coach and GM and preferably one who is good with young players. TBH I'm not getting the hype of Ducharme as hes on the bench now and I'm sure he has some say but the team is still the same.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I would rather look elsewhere , getting tired of the recycling. IMO we need a more forward thinking coach and GM and preferably one who is good with young players. TBH I'm not getting the hype of Ducharme as hes on the bench now and I'm sure he has some say but the team is still the same.

Having some say and having the final say are two different things.

Bruce Cassidy was CJ's assistant coach before he was fired. Once Cassidy took over, Bruins turned it around.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
Having some say and having the final say are two different things.

Bruce Cassidy was CJ's assistant coach before he was fired. Once Cassidy took over, Bruins turned it around.

Very true , and good example. I dont know much about Ducharme admittedly and maybe he is the next Cassidy but just have a bit of a hard time seeing that as I haven't seen anything other than the status quo and even if he had some say you would think it would be evident in some aspect. I will however be happy to be wrong if hes the next coach , would still rather new blood though all the same.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Very true , and good example. I dont know much about Ducharme admittedly and maybe he is the next Cassidy but just have a bit of a hard time seeing that as I haven't seen anything other than the status quo and even if he had some say you would think it would be evident in some aspect. I will however be happy to be wrong if hes the next coach , would still rather new blood though all the same.

There's nothing wrong with doubting if Ducharme is the right guy. What I like about Ducharme is he's won everywhere he's been. He still needs to prove it at the pro level. That is where it probably benefited Cassidy more than it does Ducharme. Cassidy was head coach in Providence for many seasons before he became CJ's assistant coach in the NHL.

Another thing I like about Ducharme is that it isn't the recycling game. It's someone fresh.

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
There's nothing wrong with doubting if Ducharme is the right guy. What I like about Ducharme is he's won everywhere he's been. He still needs to prove it at the pro level. That is where it probably benefited Cassidy more than it does Ducharme. Cassidy was head coach in Providence for many seasons before he became CJ's assistant coach in the NHL.

Another thing I like about Ducharme is that it isn't the recycling game. It's someone fresh.

Like I said I admittedly dont know much about Ducharme. How is he with young players? I guess that's one of my big concerns. Not a Julien hater like some but IMO hes (CJ) made some very questionable line decisions (Cousins and Weals usage) and I'm hoping the next coach has a different approach even if it means we are worse in the short term. A coach like Crawford or Hunter type of coach (not saying them in particular) more of a teaching coach as opposed to a one mistake and benched coach. Maybe Ducharme is that guy I dont know but I'm sure there are options available that are more suited to a young inexperienced team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad