Speculation: Gerard Gallant and the Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Make of this what you will:

Translation: Gallant is at the Shawinigan/Halifax game tonight in Shawiningan. Gallant inidcated to Turcotte's colleague, Claude Boucher, that he stopped by in Shawinigan on his way to Montreal, where he has an interview.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Count me among those who don't think the problem is Claude Julien. In fact, I'd take Julien over most NHL coaches. But even the best coaches get stale and coaches are always the first to be sacrificed, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Julien take the fall so the org can showcase the illusion of change.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Count me among those who don't think the problem is Claude Julien. In fact, I'd take Julien over most NHL coaches. But even the best coaches get stale and coaches are always the first to be sacrificed, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Julien take the fall so the org can showcase the illusion of change.

Since MB isn't going anywhere, and there won't be drastic changes to the roster for next year, I'd like to see if a different coach can do better. Hey, if they do worse it helps the tank anyways.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
They can put Youppi as the coach for all I care. As long as this management is here and the team doesn’t improve who cares who the coach is. Actually, better to hire a worse coach so that we can get a better pick.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
Since MB isn't going anywhere, and there won't be drastic changes to the roster for next year, I'd like to see if a different coach can do better. Hey, if they do worse it helps the tank anyways.
And if they do better it helps MBs chances of staying here longer and not getting fired. No thanks

Reactions: 26Mats

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think a change should happen and Gallant being a leading candidate. He was good he before

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I used to think that, until we hit this year. Clod has been awful most of this year....just my 2 cents. I look at how he couldn't get the Bruins to the playoffs for two years and how Pasta and Marchand have grown since the Clod was fired....Cassidy is twice the coach.
CJ is up there with Babs....it seems to be passing them by.............not a fan of CJ ripping the players publically either.
The Habs need a housecleaning like never before....

Reactions: tazsub3

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think a change should happen and Gallant being a leading candidate. He was good he before
I'd prefer Julien, but if his relationship with the team has soured or the org wants a new face, Gallant's probably the best choice. At least we'd be getting a legitimately good NHL coach. Of course, changing coaches won't change the fundamental problem that the roster isn't good enough.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I used to think that, until we hit this year. Clod has been awful most of this year....just my 2 cents. I look at how he couldn't get the Bruins to the playoffs for two years and how Pasta and Marchand have grown since the Clod was fired....Cassidy is twice the coach.
CJ is up there with Babs....it seems to be passing them by.............not a fan of CJ ripping the players publically either.
The Habs need a housecleaning like never before....
Yeah, I can see that. To me, Julien is in an impossible situation and clearly frustrated. I don't think this is his fault, but in the end it doesn't matter because the results are plain bad. If the team's not responding, you've gotta change the messenger. It's a shame.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Walrus26

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It goes without saying that Gallant would be welcomed back to Montreal. Even as an assistant coach where he’s one of the best at special teams and ours has been pretty craptacular since he left.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'd like to see Muller replaced. His powerplay schemes have run its course.

Reactions: Yoor

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Me! I’m fairly certain that I could turn our franchise’s fortunes around in a modest 2 years. Cup worthy? No, but we would sure as hell would see that it’s coming.
I hate to bring bad news to you but psychologists are aware of a cognitive bias they call Dunning-Kruger effect. It's the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. For instance, you just saw a film that flopped and your friend remarks, "Damn, I could make a better film than crap." Well, the Dunning-Kruger effect says no he most likely can't.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd use any positive bias Gallant might have for Montreal before the summer , cause he won't be a free agent for very long after that. Being an assistant probably won't be anough, he'll get head coaching jobs thrown at him.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Ducharme? Isn’t that one of the assistant coach that looks like he’s constantly drooling on himself when he tries to speak?

cant be that guy

Jul 6, 2016
Gerard Gallant has played all his Junior years in Sherbrooke, St-Jean and Verdun, and has coached numerous years in the Q (with lots of French speaking players and assistants around him) and as assistant-coach in MTL for another two seasons....

How come this guy is not BILINGUAL yet ?

Was he not immersed enough in the French language ? And you cannot have a more Acadian name than Gallant on top of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
I'd like to see Muller replaced. His powerplay schemes have run its course.
This^^^^^^ PLEASE. I can't stand how we deploy certain players on the PP, we don't set up for any one timers with Suzuki or Tatar as an example. Why would we not want 3 shooting (one timer) options on the PP. Shots never get off on time as they have to stop the puck first, then shoot and by then the goalie is in position. Can someone explain this to me? Please? Look around the league how they set up their PP...gawd.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
We just don't have skilled guys who can run a PP.....if CJ doesn't have the horses, Muller sure doesn't either.
Yes we do. Our scheme has been the same for years and is figured out by all of our opponents. We have no movement and nothing in terms of allowing our skilled players the opportunity to be creative. The players aren't leaving, change the coach and have a new voice leading the charge.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yes we do. Our scheme has been the same for years and is figured out by all of our opponents. We have no movement and nothing in terms of allowing our skilled players the opportunity to be creative. The players aren't leaving, change the coach and have a new voice leading the charge.
Who are our skilled players you are talking about?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gerard Gallant has played all his Junior years in Sherbrooke, St-Jean and Verdun, and has coached numerous years in the Q (with lots of French speaking players and assistants around him) and as assistant-coach in MTL for another two seasons....

How come this guy is not BILINGUAL yet ?

Was he not immersed enough in the French language ? And you cannot have a more Acadian name than Gallant on top of that.
He certainly seems to have done well for himself, as a coach, so the question needs to be asked, why does it matter? Wea re talking sports here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad