Speculation: Gerard Gallant and the Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Who are our skilled players you are talking about?
Suzuki, Drouin, Domi, Tatar, Petry, KK....you're telling me these guys aren't skilled?

We could have the Lightning players, but if the scheme doesn't allow for anything but two attack scenarios, without movement, that would fail as well.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Suzuki, Drouin, Domi, Tatar, Petry, KK....you're telling me these guys aren't skilled?

We could have the Lightning players, but if the scheme doesn't allow for anything but two attack scenarios, without movement, that would fail as well.
Not one of them is skilled enough to be a PP QB. KK is in the A and Clod wont hardly use him on the PP, Drouin is awful on the point out there.....these players are better 5 on 5 than they are on the PP
Suzuki is really the only skilled player you list for our PP and it shows. Muller and the PP has been better this year, it certainly looks like the Pk is way worse than we need.

My point was, in all of this, people saying CJ just doesn't have the horses, and for the most part, this is correct. But if he doesn't then neither does Muller.

Our PK, and the D is a huge mess. Personnel and coaching should take the hit there.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Gerard Gallant has played all his Junior years in Sherbrooke, St-Jean and Verdun, and has coached numerous years in the Q (with lots of French speaking players and assistants around him) and as assistant-coach in MTL for another two seasons....

How come this guy is not BILINGUAL yet ?

Was he not immersed enough in the French language ? And you cannot have a more Acadian name than Gallant on top of that.
Because high level hockey is all coached in English in order to prep the players for the next level.

Reactions: BLONG7

Jul 6, 2016
He certainly seems to have done well for himself, as a coach, so the question needs to be asked, why does it matter? Wea re talking sports here...

Would you stay years in Italy without learning Italian ? Would you stay in France without learning some French ? And I could go on....

Jul 6, 2016
Because high level hockey is all coached in English in order to prep the players for the next level.

OMG.... We all know that... But the guy has a LIFE outside the rink...

Crosby spent only two years in Rimouski and was able to learn some.

Some folks want to learn... Some others....

Dryden, Gainey, Robinson, Smith, were all able to give interviews in French.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Jul 6, 2016
Cool. Maybe he speaks a little French, but he's not francophone so that all but disqualifies him in the eyes of many, including ownership.

Marc Crawford coached the freagin Quebec Nordiques. He was able to give most of his after game pressers in French. The Stasny Bros were able to speak 4 or 5 languages.

Jul 6, 2016
What do the Nordiques, Crawford or the Statsny brothers have to do with the Canadiens?

Last time I checked, BOTH Montreal and Quebec City are still the province of Québec where 80% of the population has French as its first language.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I hate to bring bad news to you but psychologists are aware of a cognitive bias they call Dunning-Kruger effect. It's the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. For instance, you just saw a film that flopped and your friend remarks, "Damn, I could make a better film than crap." Well, the Dunning-Kruger effect says no he most likely can't.
It’s been a 20 year film...

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Would you stay years in Italy without learning Italian ? Would you stay in France without learning some French ? And I could go on....
There are a ton of people who live and work in Montreal who are english...

Gerard Gallant will tell you, that the NHL speaks in results...the Habs have to stop discriminating against english candidates...

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I feel like Galland would be one of the few english coaches that would be accepted with as little problem as possible. Anyway I think that the fever to win games is stronger in sport fans than some political/cultural issue.

That being said people have completely lost faith in Bergevin and him firing Julien for Galland would be seen as him buying himself some time.

Reactions: MXD and cphabs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I feel like Galland would be one of the few english coaches that would be accepted with as little problem as possible. Anyway I think that the fever to win games is stronger in sport fans than some political/cultural issue.

That being said people have completely lost faith in Bergevin and him firing Julien for Galland would be seen as him buying himself some time.
No, the fever to win isn't great enough, unfortunately.

Until the team stops handcuffing itself by not allowing the best hockey people available to possibly run this team, the Habs will never be a great franchise again. Just my opinion of course

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
No, the fever to win isn't great enough, unfortunately.

Until the team stops handcuffing itself by not allowing the best hockey people available to possibly run this team, the Habs will never be a great franchise again. Just my opinion of course

I will say the majority of Habs fans would accept Galland, though. Maybe even the press.

Reactions: MXD

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
I wouldn’t mind Gallant, but he’ll likely be summoned by Yzerman to Detroit.

- - -

Open that freaking coaching door!

If you don’t hire the best coach, by policy, you can probably forget a great/BP staff to surround the guy you do hire.

Reactions: vokiel

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I'm not sure Gallant is much of a saviour. I'm Wondering why does he keep getting fired mid-season off of good teams?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There are a ton of people who live and work in Montreal who are english...

Gerard Gallant will tell you, that the NHL speaks in results...the Habs have to stop discriminating against english candidates...

And how to show non-discrimination against an English-only candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad