George McPhee III

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I think that's a poor analogy. Its not as if GMGM is the worst GM in the league and there are a few teams that would kill to have him as their GM.

He's doing the job well enough for the patient to still be living, as evident by us making the playoffs basically ever year, but he just can't do anything more to get us over the hump and has only built a team that can just make it to the show. Again, a lot of teams would kill for that.

"Alot" as in 5-6?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think that's a poor analogy. Its not as if GMGM is the worst GM in the league and there are a few teams that would kill to have him as their GM.

He's doing the job well enough for the patient to still be living, as evident by us making the playoffs basically ever year, but he just can't do anything more to get us over the hump and has only built a team that can just make it to the show. Again, a lot of teams would kill for that.

Well then pick whatever analogy conveys to you personally the concept that you don't have to have all the answers to know there's a problem and something needs to be done. K?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I think that 20+ teams were they looking for a gm and McPhee available would have a lot of interest. to suggest that only 5 or 6 crappy a$$ teams would want him I just wrong.

His quote was that gmgm is good enough to build a team for the playoff but not get any farther. And with that there are "alot of teams that would kill for that." Not sure but I'm fairly confident there aren't 20 teams out there looking to just make the playoffs. In fact many teams not making the playoffs wouldn't settle for a first round loss either.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I don't think you can find a single legit SC contender that would take McPhee over their current GM. He has shown enough times that he is incapable of building team that gets somewhere in the playoffs.

Well that's dumb as well. A "legit" SC contender isn't gonna need a new GM, because they're the top 5 or 6 team in the NHL. I'm talking midrange to lower end teams. Would you call those SC contenders?

His quote was that gmgm is good enough to build a team for the playoff but not get any farther. And with that there are "alot of teams that would kill for that." Not sure but I'm fairly confident there aren't 20 teams out there looking to just make the playoffs. In fact many teams not making the playoffs wouldn't settle for a first round loss either.

Bull. Teams that can't fill arenas? Teams that are having problems making money? There are a lot of teams that'll take sold out stadiums and at least a round of NHL playoff revenue coming in.

People seem to think me saying teams would want GMGM or that he's not the worst GM in the league suddenly means he does a great job and should only be replaced if a top talent GM is out there. I don't mean that. I mean he can probably build a Regular Season team and guarantee a few years of good revenue for the team. While everyone wants to have a team like the Penguins, there would be a lot of teams that would just like to be in the hunt come the end of the year. Anyone who makes the dance at the end of the year is in the hunt, in one way or another.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think that 20+ teams were they looking for a gm and McPhee available would have a lot of interest. to suggest that only 5 or 6 crappy a$$ teams would want him I just wrong.

You really think over half the NHL would be interesting in a guy who's best accomplishment to date was winning a lottery? I'd put the over/under at 10 tops. He's no dummy but he's done next to nothing when it counts. Great pick if you're a team who's missed the playoffs or is rebuilding.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
(by "hessian", http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey...es-not-practicing-amateur-psychology-caps-0):

I'm a loser
I'm a loser
And I'm not what I appear to be

Of all the trades I have won or have lost
There is one trade I got double crossed
Poile knows his shlt, my friend
I should have known he would win in the end

I'm a loser
David Poile got the best of me
I'm a loser
Erat's not what he appeared to be

Although I run the team like a clown
Beneath this scarf I am wearing a frown
My team is falling my jobs on the line
I best not deal with David Poile next time

I'm a loser
David Poile got the best of me
I'm a loser
Erat's not what he appeared to be

=> not bad for fan poetry :)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You really think over half the NHL would be interesting in a guy who's best accomplishment to date was winning a lottery? I'd put the over/under at 10 tops. He's no dummy but he's done next to nothing when it counts. Great pick if you're a team who's missed the playoffs or is rebuilding.

sure. i know some people that work for the league from media to operations. from what i understand McPhee is widely respected. so, yea. if each team had to give up their gm and all 30 were looking at once, 20 of them being interested on McPhee sounds about right.

david poile is the pre McPhee. McPhee in many ways in fact. He had Langway instead of Ovechkin, but he had a hall of famer. in fact didn't Poile have 5 hall of famers on the same team? maybe i don't remember correctly. Langway, Stevens, Gartner, Murphy....ok....Hunter isn't a HHOF'r yet.

poile got a new gig right away and is still there. he's gm of team usa.

so...yea.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
sure. i know some people that work for the league from media to operations. from what i understand McPhee is widely respected. so, yea. if each team had to give up their gm and all 30 were looking at once, 20 of them being interested on McPhee sounds about right.

david poile is the pre McPhee. McPhee in many ways in fact. He had Langway instead of Ovechkin, but he had a hall of famer. in fact didn't Poile have 5 hall of famers on the same team? maybe i don't remember correctly. Langway, Stevens, Gartner, Murphy....ok....Hunter isn't a HHOF'r yet.

poile got a new gig right away and is still there. he's gm of team usa.

so...yea.

David Poile has never had the luxury of money. He does and did more with less than McPhee ever has or ever will accomplish.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
David Poile has never had the luxury of money. He does and did more with less than McPhee ever has or ever will accomplish.

He's a solid GM and IMO they are roughly in the same class....GMDP obviously having a lot more experience. That said....all that extra experience has lead to the same level of success. Steady and sometimes great regular season success with tons of post season failure.

It would be interesting to know exactly what went on behind closed doors during the offer sheet to 3. Was this short sightedness 100% on Abe? It wasnt that long after (2 seasons?) that Hatcher held out and was making essentially the same kind of money. Poile worked the eastern euro aspect very well at the time but seemed to have a real hard time drafting top notch forwards

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
He's a solid GM and IMO they are roughly in the same class....GMDP obviously having a lot more experience. That said....all that extra experience has lead to the same level of success. Steady and sometimes great regular season success with tons of post season failure.

It would be interesting to know exactly what went on behind closed doors during the offer sheet to 3. Was this short sightedness 100% on Abe? It wasnt that long after (2 seasons?) that Hatcher held out and was making essentially the same kind of money. Poile worked the eastern euro aspect very well at the time but seemed to have a real hard time drafting top notch forwards

If I remember correctly, it was the same off-season.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
If I remember correctly, it was the same off-season.

I seem to recall there were two separate time Hatcher had mini hold outs. Both times he didnt have a contract so it wasnt as bad as it sounds now but anyway....maybe that was the first one. I really dont think he had a 7 figure salary for a couple more seasons.....

point being, in terms of not matching, they should have seen the writing on the wall. Salaries were now going to sky rocket....you werent getting the toothpaste back in the tube. I could be wrong but by the time 3 finished that contract, Hatcher was the higher paid player....or very close

EDIT:

Stevens 4 year contract runs 90-91 thru 93-94. His salary in 93-94 is $1,121,250

Hatcher 93-94 salary $1,325,000

Last edited:

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
It's hard to compare McPhee and Poile because while Leonsis may not be as free with his money as some of the other owners, he is not the miser many considered Abe Pollin to be. Abe was a generous man and a great leader of our community but that didn't translate to investing in talent on the ice. Poile was and is a superior GM (and I like McPhee). George can't touch Poile's consecutive playoffs run.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I seem to recall there were two separate time Hatcher had mini hold outs. Both times he didnt have a contract so it wasnt as bad as it sounds now but anyway....maybe that was the first one. I really dont think he had a 7 figure salary for a couple more seasons.....

point being, in terms of not matching, they should have seen the writing on the wall. Salaries were now going to sky rocket....you werent getting the toothpaste back in the tube. I could be wrong but by the time 3 finished that contract, Hatcher was the higher paid player....or very close

EDIT:

Stevens 4 year contract runs 90-91 thru 93-94. His salary in 93-94 is $1,121,250

Hatcher 93-94 salary $1,325,000

Interesting tidbits on Stevens trade found here...link

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

money or not, he had 4 legit hall of fame players on his roster at the same time. in some cases in their prime. his playoff results mirror McPhee's at best.

lets not act like the caps of the poile era were some roster challenged team like the preds are that scratches out a playoff spot and then tries to make something special happen.

the rod langway, mike gartner capitals were always a top half of the playoff draw team that was upset regularly. they set the standard for blowing 3 game to 1 playoff series leads for the current era caps. they had at least one team that was in the same general category as the caps president's trophy team. they were the original choking dogs.

lets not make them out as the little engine that couldn't quite. they should have had at least one cup and they choked. hard.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
money or not, he had 4 legit hall of fame players on his roster at the same time. in some cases in their prime. his playoff results mirror McPhee's at best.

lets not act like the caps of the poile era were some roster challenged team like the preds are that scratches out a playoff spot and then tries to make something special happen.

the rod langway, mike gartner capitals were always a top half of the playoff draw team that was upset regularly. they set the standard for blowing 3 game to 1 playoff series leads for the current era caps. they had at least one team that was in the same general category as the caps president's trophy team. they were the original choking dogs.

lets not make them out as the little engine that couldn't quite. they should have had at least one cup and they choked. hard.

So it would stand to reason that some Caps fans in the GMGM era could feel the same way you do about those 80s and early 90s teams, right?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

He acquired those players despite his financial restrictions. Youre the one who made the Poile/Mcphee comparison.

Poile has done more with less than Mcphee ever has.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
George can't touch Poile's consecutive playoffs run.

no, but a regular bash around here is that McPhee and Leonsis appear to be content with a playoff spot and don't care about winning a championship.

the consecutive playoff run could be bashed the same way.

look...I like them both. I think they are both great. putting poile on a pedestal the smack McPhee around, though, is just being revisionist.

They choked.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
It's hard to compare McPhee and Poile because while Leonsis may not be as free with his money as some of the other owners, he is not the miser many considered Abe Pollin to be. Abe was a generous man and a great leader of our community but that didn't translate to investing in talent on the ice. Poile was and is a superior GM (and I like McPhee). George can't touch Poile's consecutive playoffs run.

not really fair to compare that....at the time all you needed was to be top 4 in your division....would it be fair to point all the SE division banners compared to what went up during GMDP's time? of course not

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
look...I like them both. I think they are both great.

I totally agree. McPhee may have screwed the pooch on the Forsberg trade but generally I like the team under his watch. Plus I just like the guy.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Since its all about winning hockey games and more specifically playoff games maybe some stats would help.

DP 594-454-132 (52-64 playoffs)
GMGM 574-457-69-94 (44-52 playoffs) not counting this year.

And since our one real run in the playoffs was with GMGM, but DP's roster, I think were splitting hairs. They both are about the same.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So many fans of mediocrity....sigh....

Poile is the better GM, but both lack when it counts. Great layers of a foundation, but not guys who will get you over the top IMO. They both have an overly safe streak in them that will keep their franchises from the bottom of the league more often than not(Poile typically in his drafting, McPhee in holding onto his nuts), but rarely give them a shot to go far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad