Rumor: Geno where art thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
With all the Geno rumors and news, time for its own thread. Keep the Geno talk here please.

pittsburgh-penguins-evgeni-malkin.gif

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We agree on this at least.

I'll be curious to see if we move someone out before free agency starts. If so we could conceivably get not only a second line Center meaning Gino, but another really good piece moving forward.
Yea, we have to move someone out before tomorrow at noon. You can’t find a very good piece too far into free agency.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yea, we have to move someone out before tomorrow at noon. You can’t find a very good piece too far into free agency.
We're getting to the nitty-gritty to be sure but again I have faith something will shake loose and we will be triumphant!

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The whole poor Geno thing about not being wanted, having a bad work environment is pretty silly imo.

HIs work enivorment is his teammates, his coaches. and the fans. And by all accounts they all love Geno. Plenty of love.

Who cares what some suits in the Front office. who he never has to see or talk to if he doesn't want to, feel about him. Geno makes more money than they do. Will have greater job security than they do. (if he gets a NMC). If Geno gets 4 yrs. as reported, he will most likely outlive the tenures of Hextalll and Burke. Those guys are just passing by. How many GM's has Geno seen in his career 4? Geno can be a Penguin for life. Those guys surely won't be. He's gonna let the opinion of 2 guys color his whole attitude??I don't think that's it.
I'm not saying it's rational, but I think that's what it is.

Sullivan spoke up for him publicly too and clearly has the most clout of anyone in management with FSG. But I'd venture to guess Sully was lukewarm privately.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I'm not saying it's rational, but I think that's what it is.

Sullivan spoke up for him publicly too and clearly has the most clout of anyone in management with FSG. But I'd venture to guess Sully was lukewarm privately.
Sully can flap his lips all he wants. It'd pretty apparent Geno is a rogue stallion that annoys the piss out of him. A guy like Trocheck is more appealing as he's able to be tamed to his liking.

Tell me I'm not right

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Sully can flap his lips all he wants. It'd pretty apparent Geno is a rogue stallion that annoys the piss out of him. A guy like Trocheck is more appealing as he's able to be tamed to his liking.

Tell me I'm not right

I 100% agree. And like 60% agree with Sully, but also highly doubt myself.

But the subtext is pretty clear. They are lukewarm on him as a player. TBH they are more certain about Rust or even Rakell going forward than Geno.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just saw JFresh call Trocheck "a poor man's Kadri", and while I think the comparison has some validity, I'm not entirely sure their results are different enough to drastically put one ahead of the other.

FXgegGuWAAAcCWA

FKoJuJPXMAM_DU7

I've already commented on how I think finishing talent is overrated on the JFresh card, but I honestly think this one shows it pretty well too. Look at how wildly both Trocheck's and Kadri's WAR percentile rank varies in the last 3 years, it's almost entirely a function of their finishing.

I get the justification, but I honestly don't see how one guy with a 77th percentile offensive analytics and 44th percentile defensive analytics that produces well ends up in the 49th percentile of players, while another guy with a 73rd percentile offensive analytics and a 26th percentile defensive analytics that produces a bit better is the 81st percentile of player.

Kadri just happened to have his unsustainable PPG season over a full year this year, while Trocheck had his unsustainable PPG season over the COVID shortened season last year. I think anyone who pays him based on the 87 point guy he was this year, instead of the 55 point guy he's been in the rest of his career, is going to be wildly disappointed.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I dunno I think the Pens demonstrated this year how important finishing is. But if Kadri makes like 8-9 mil and Trochek 5-6 then ya, somebody is overrating Kadri.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just saw JFresh call Trocheck "a poor man's Kadri", and while I think the comparison has some validity, I'm not entirely sure their results are different enough to drastically put one ahead of the other.

FXgegGuWAAAcCWA

FKoJuJPXMAM_DU7

I've already commented on how I think finishing talent is overrated on the JFresh card, but I honestly think this one shows it pretty well too. Look at how wildly both Trocheck's and Kadri's WAR percentile rank varies in the last 3 years, it's almost entirely a function of their finishing.

I get the justification, but I honestly don't see how one guy with a 77th percentile offensive analytics and 44th percentile defensive analytics that produces well ends up in the 49th percentile of players, while another guy with a 73rd percentile offensive analytics and a 26th percentile defensive analytics that produces a bit better is the 81st percentile of player.

Kadri just happened to have his unsustainable PPG season over a full year this year, while Trocheck had his unsustainable PPG season over the COVID shortened season last year. I think anyone who pays him based on the 87 point guy he was this year, instead of the 55 point guy he's been in the rest of his career, is going to be wildly disappointed.

you’re missing one…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dunno I think the Pens demonstrated this year how important finishing is.

But does Kadri have a "finishing" talent if he's wildly fluctuating between a 100th percentile, a 10th percentile and an 80th percentile?

There are guys with truly elite finishing abilities for sure. Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Matthews, McDavid...these guys all have it. But I'm not sure it makes sense to heavily weigh finishing ability for inconsistent finishers who vary between "elite" and "awful" with their finishing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
you’re missing one…

That Malkin graph proves my point, his projected WAR profile is just directly a function of his finishing ability. What's the point of the offensive and defensive playdriving if a player can yield good WAR percentiles just by being a good finisher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad