OT: General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Like I said, 2 weeks, maybe 3 weeks before the fight, maybe a month. I just find more than that hard to manage,
Well 30 days is a good start.

My point is if people can get away with beating blood tests, they can beat a scale by video call. That's all.
Except the advantages of beating a blood test are quite high. Being over a permissable weight limit doesn't help you with anything.

Of course. At same time you know more about this stuff than I do since you're in the health and wellness field. So don't consider my objection as me discrediting you. Simply put without going into technical details that I don't know:

If they currently allow X of something in your system, some fighters will try to push to something higher.
If they unban PEDs I'm sure fighters won't be responsible.
If they limit PEDs to a higher threshold, I'm sure fighters will still push for something higher.

It's really a *****. Best way is to remove entire thing.
I think that is a silly argument based out of ignorance, no offense. Just because you take more of something doesn't mean it's going to make you better. If a fighter wants to double the dosage of his PEDs, it doesn't mean this is actually going to help him.
Take alcohol as an example, you have a few drinks in, you're the happy pleasant social tipsy still in control guy, keep drinking, you don't get happier and more pleasant do you? No. You perhaps start becoming belligerent, or speech impaired, have difficulty standing straight, and sometimes even just staying awake.
So no, if they allow "X" dosage in your system, going to ''X+'' doesn't mean anything.
As I said, this is mostly based off ignorance and misinformation of PEDs.

The problem with PEDs is much less about hurting your own body and more so about hurting other people.

This isn't tennis. This is a sport where people punch and knee each other in the face. Letting people be above regular human conditions is a sure fire way to cause additional long term brain damage to other fighters.
I get that argument, but I disagree with it.
First off, you are assuming that whoever isn't caught is clean. Now I get it, innocent until proven guilty, but too many of them get popped for this saying to apply. Krzysztof Soszynski back in 2011 said he believes at least 85% of fighters are on PEDs. I know a fighter who had a few fights in the UFC who told me pretty much the same.
Second, the idea that two fighters are on the same playing field simply because they are "clean" is completely fictional. We aren't all born with the same testosterone levels, we don't recover the same way, limb sizes are different, etc.
If my reach is bigger, well, that's a pretty big advantage. Why is that legal? Because it's natural? So? It's still a big ass advantage.
So you can't take a drug SPECIFICALLY made to enhance performance and improve you, make you better, in a sport where we are seeking the absolute best performances, but it's cool to let one guy fight someone that has naturally higher testosterone and a bigger reach?
Ya. That really doesn't add up to me.

I get your point, but disagree with it.
Random weigh ins wouldn't make sense. Nate Diaz for example hasn't fought in years but is still on payroll and in testing. If he does random weigh ins he could easily lose. He's not even competing though...
I am not talking about testing all the roster. I am talking about whoever is set to be on the card. Once it is confirmed, then you are subject to a possible random test.

A system can be made, I never disputed that. I'm disputing how easy you made it out to be.

Again, you said stuff like "just do this, simple" "do that, simple". My point is it is not simple at all. It seems that way but there's other considerations. Surely, they can find something better than the current landscape easily but I never understood the oversimplification. It will take a lot of planning and logistics.

I also think that what stops a guy from weight cutting if he knows he's going to be weighed X days before a fight, know what I mean?
It's easy enough that it can be made.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Wrestlemania for free? Streaming? You can stream UFC too. I've done it several times.
Yeah, WWE routinely has promotions for the network and are offering Wrestlemania free to new subscribers. So, if someone is technically on the fence on which show to watch, odds are they'd be a new network subscriber and would watch Wrestlemania for free. Even if they're not a new subscriber, that assumes they're already paying $9.99 a month for the network.

I wouldn't pay for THIS UFC card after all these fights have been pulled and the main event has fallen apart either.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Seems like a lot of people are blaming NYSAC for lack of a main event. They blocked Max even though he said he was fine, blocked felder...

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Yep, Laquinta steps in, I'm guessing Pettis either couldn't make it in time or wouldn't risk a top fight in less than ideal conditions. He's actually pretty good so it should at least be competitive, he's got wins against Lauzon, Masvidal and crazy Diego in his last 3 fights. I'm pretty sure he beat Kevin Lee some years ago too, if memory serves.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Iaquinta used to be pretty promising, until his large lapse of inactivity. He's good on the feet, good wrestler, terrible grappler. A slightly lesser version of Michael Johnson.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Man, they are really desperate not to cancel this. What is it...Plan D? Actually probably Plan K or L.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
A lot of people feel this was promo stunt. I just don't see it.
Nah, the whole bottle throwing thing with Diaz could have been something like that ( just ended up getting a bit out of hands) but not this thing. The consequences are too severe for it to be a stunt, a sabotaged card plus a lot of legal issues that could hang in the air for a while, etc . That doesn't mean the UFC won't try and make money off a big grudge fight at some point down the road though .

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Nah, the whole bottle throwing thing with Diaz could have been something like that ( just ended up getting a bit out of hands) but not this thing. The consequences are too severe for it to be a stunt, a sabotaged card plus a lot of legal issues that could hang in the air for a while, etc . That doesn't mean the UFC won't try and make money off a big grudge fight at some point down the road though .
Agreed. On top of it..promo for what? He isn't set to fight anywhere. Heard some say it's for mayweather-cm eventually..the hell does any of this has to do with Mayweather?
Some give too much credit to CM. Ya, he's a great hype man for his fights..but this isn't some genius ploy, just like jumping in the ring and shoving a ref wasn't some great marketing stunt either.
I think a) fame and notoriety has gotten to him and b) he is very poorly surrounded.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
DaMhsFUWAAIaJyw.jpg

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The more videos I watch, the crazier this whole thing looks to me. He comes out like a dude out of his mind on blow or pills or whatever the hell else he's into. Just a complete lunatic. There's no way the prosecutors won't look at those videos and find him guilty of all charges. He probably won't do any actual jail time but he could still be in all sorts of legal troubles following this.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The more videos I watch, the crazier this whole thing looks to me. He comes out like a dude out of his mind on blow or pills or whatever the hell else he's into. Just a complete lunatic. There's no way the prosecutors won't look at those videos and find him guilty of all charges. He probably won't do any actual jail time but he could still be in all sorts of legal troubles following this.

The damage to Chiesa is not dramatic. The only thing sue worthy is the damage of income. Chiesa is already paid show money anyway. He’s stated he wanted to fight anyway and will come back soon.

The UFC has more of a claim than them IMO. mind you, they’d never sue him..

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
If Karolina can't manage better than a split decision against that level of competition then I just don't know about her championship potential anymore honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad