General UFC/MMA/Boxing discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
The fight was stopped at the right moment, McGregor wasn't throwing back any punches.

He actually did better than I thought, his jab was great. But he had nothing left in the tank to defend against Mayweather's right punch.

Interesting fight, would have preferred no hammer punch, no back turned and a little less grappling though.

The sandwich was tastier than it looked like at first glance.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Like always the Mayweather haters are out in full force. Great fight and great to see Pretty Boy Floyd end his legendary career on a high note.

Congrats to Mayweather 50-0 :handclap:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Pretty sure McGregor was smiling and happy because he just made a ******** of money and got out of there without getting embarassed. Hard to have hoped for a better outcome on his end.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Much better show than I expected so I'll give credit to Conor for showing up and trying. You could see as it progressed that Mayweather was taking it slow though, as soon as he opened it up you could see the difference in skill.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'm a happy Conor fan. 10 rounds vs. the GOAT boxer. Not bad. He did much better than many, myself included, thought. The cardio just wasn't there, though. The entire game plan seemed to be KO in the first 4 rounds.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm a happy Conor fan. 10 rounds vs. the GOAT boxer. Not bad. He did much better than many, myself included, thought. The cardio just wasn't there, though. The entire game plan seemed to be KO in the first 4 rounds.

Oh absolutely, he did a million times better than I expected. People don't realize how different boxing is to MMA striking, the stance, the movement, he had to take a lot of stuff in a short time. Plus he walked out a very rich man.

KerryFraser

Apr 6, 2008
Pretty sure McGregor was smiling and happy because he just made a ******** of money and got out of there without getting embarassed. Hard to have hoped for a better outcome on his end.

Yeah from a mma fighter against the most reward boxing fighter i think it was a really impressive performance.

JtotheC

Apr 29, 2011
Montreal
Impressive performance but remember, Mayweather is 40 years old. How about McGregor vs a boxer in their prime..he would get KO'd much earlier and would be in a lot of danger.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Much better show than I expected so I'll give credit to Conor for showing up and trying. You could see as it progressed that Mayweather was taking it slow though, as soon as he opened it up you could see the difference in skill.
It looked like Mayweather wanted to give the fans a longer match by sandbagging the first three rounds. Connor saying he was just tired well he would of been on a stretcher if the ref doesn't save him.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Maybe it's because I had such low expectations for this fight but I thought it was actually entertaining. Not a great fight but still pretty good.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Impressive performance but remember, Mayweather is 40 years old. How about McGregor vs a boxer in their prime..he would get KO'd much earlier and would be in a lot of danger.

I don't think a fight versus a prime boxing champion would have been sanctioned. Making this one happen at all was super difficult and a lot of people felt McGregor was risking his health doing it. It basically had to be against a smaller, retired 40 year old opponent. MMA and boxing are two completely different sports, I think this fight showed it plainly in the end. Freak show fights like this don't need to happen too often.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Absolutely. Great showing by Conor. To do that well in your first fight ever against the king, nothing but kudos and it looks like the majority of fighters are thinking the same way judging by their comments.

Very entertaining fight. The bar I was at was rocking, everybody having a good time.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Yes Connor should of took a page from Mayweathers book and ducked him for 5 or 6 more years , then fought him. :laugh:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I don't think a fight versus a prime boxing champion would have been sanctioned. Making this one happen at all was super difficult and a lot of people felt McGregor was risking his health doing it. It basically had to be against a smaller, retired 40 year old opponent. MMA and boxing are two completely different sports, I think this fight showed it plainly in the end. Freak show fights like this don't need to happen too often.

Good post. True

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
FM waited 4 rds to throw a punch n still won easily. CM lasted a while but I think that was FM's plan.

Last edited:

holyhabs

Jun 9, 2007
Mayweather gave Connor 3 rounds and then did what he never does and attacked to give the fans a show because he knew the other guy wasn't going to land anymore punches. 40 year old retiree wasn't afraid of him imagine what someone younger and his prime would have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad