Speculation: General roster discussion, trade speculation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It'd be nice if some of these reporters would press DeBoer on why Schlemko is sitting again. There's no reason for Schlemko to be a healthy scratch if he's ready to go. His play doesn't justify sitting in the press box over DeMelo, Dillon, or Martin.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
At least Wingels is out. I can appreciate that

After getting an assist last game? I'm no Wingels fan but there's no possible justification for sitting him or anyone else over Haley. Especially since the Oilers don't even have Gazdic or any other goons in their lineup anymore.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
After getting an assist last game? I'm no Wingels fan but there's no possible justification for sitting him or anyone else over Haley. Especially since the Oilers don't even have Gazdic or any other goons in their lineup anymore.

But Haley brings grit sandpaper and truculence which is needed in today's NHL so your star players feel someone has their back. Those 6 minutes a night are the difference between a winning record and last place in the division :sarcasm:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Can't imagine a justifiable reason for on ice performance that he could sit.

Multitude of other reasons; attitude, demelo getting a chance, unreported injury.

And to play devils advocate here; demelo has 3 less points in 21 less games than schlemko.

Now back to regularly scheduled programming. The simple fact is schlemko helps us score goals. I think the 57%GF vs 33% for demelo speaks for itself. But maybe deboer isn't really looking at those things.

I like demelo a lot but maybe schlemko is just the odd man out to get demelo reps. Otherwise he's a rotting corpse that isn't playing at all and this becomes useless for playoff depth.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
He absolutely messed up that season but it was still a matter of what was available to him at the time and that's impossible to say. Everyone knew their left side of the blue line was a weakness and it was never addressed. It was a justifiable criticism. The question was with all the history DW has had, was it in him to see it and fix it. He has a long history of questionable depth acquisitions but he finally got some things right when it comes to depth. The Ward, Martin, Schlemko, and Boedker signings are still good signings from a depth perspective even with Boedker's lack of production thus far. There are still some weird ones now and then like Zubrus, Spaling, and Polak but at least now there's some good ones plus the youth that has stepped in has helped immensely to address those issues as well whether it's Donskoi, Karlsson, or Tierney.

I agree that you can't know which players were available, what the costs would be, or what constraints DW is operating under (e.g., the long term plan, $$ if we're not spending to the cap or how they project the future, etc.). I don't see a lot of criticism about failing to make specific acquisitions on this board, even when ppl say "I wish we could have gotten Leddy, Hamilton, etc." I think it's generally a fair criticism when there are obvious holes that persist - especially with depth players - because filling them doesn't depend on specific acquisitions. I was talking more about DW's public statements after the loss and in the following season but it also applies to the lack of depth not only in that year but in prior years.

My main point was that some ppl on the board seem to equate criticism with hatred. It seems bizarre to me that ppl would jump to that conclusion. It happened to me when I criticized the Jones trade. Ppl said that I must hate Jones when that was laughable given that I'd said before we got him that I hoped DW would offer sheet him bc I'd love to have him on the Sharks. That's one minor example bc I've seen it more with other posters than with me. It seems to be the same here where ppl are equating criticizing DW with hating him.

Criticism =/= hatred. Praise =/= love.

alexander supertramp

awesome hockey dude
Jul 10, 2009
ubiquitous, Earth

not only an assist, but he totally made that play that got Donskoi off the mark.

maybe one of Wingels best games of the season with 3 shots in addition to the assist and now he's scratched....makes me scratch my head at these decisions.

very puzzling

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
If this is about DeMelo getting reps there are at least two other defenseman who deserve to be scratched for that purpose far more than Schlemko. Something else is going on here and I'm sure it has to do with DeBoer being an obstinate idiot.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am really hoping Schlemko sitting is more to do with us trying to put DeMelo (or Dillon) on display for trade purposes.

Not that upset about Ward over Wingels to be honest. Though don't understand why Haley is getting time over Wingels.

Definitely looks like a couple of head-scratching decisions on the surface. But really, who knows what is going on in the background.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Haley's in there for Kassian. That's all there is to that. I don't agree with it and I don't agree with benching Wingels to account for that just to get Ward in as well. I'd bench Karlsson or Tierney before I would've benched Wingels after the game he had.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
If this is about DeMelo getting reps there are at least two other defenseman who deserve to be scratched for that purpose far more than Schlemko. Something else is going on here and I'm sure it has to do with DeBoer being an obstinate idiot.

Just throwing actual ideas out there instead of calling the coach and idiot.

Nobody sees a good player. Doing the right things. Helping us win and just scratches them for no reason. It may be a reason you'll never know but they aren't just an idiot. And you post that everytime he makes a decision. It's old.

Can't comment on the wingels thing but getting a point or making one good play isn't solidifying your spot in the line up. I too would prefer he played over Haley, simply because he can play longer and in more situations.

Maybe he wants Haley to pull a kadri on mcdavid and try to get him annoyed and frustrated? I dunno lol. Haley hasn't even been bad this year. Arguably has had more good games than wingels.

Also if wingels is out. Who centers the 4th line?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
DeMelo over Schlemko is idiotic. I like DeMelo but if it were just about him getting into games, then Dillon would sit on, Martin would sit one, hell, Braun could sit one. Not just Schlemko.

This Haley obsession is ridiculous. He's not nearly a single bad as Burish/Brown/Scott/whoever but there is still literally no good reason for him to be playing over both Nieto and Wingels. This would be a perfect game for Nieto to get into, for example, using his speed and defensive abilities. I'm not happy to be right about this, but several weeks ago someone around here guaranteed that Haley wouldn't play over anyone but Nieto. Now he's playing over Wingels, Ward, Donskoi... this is getting old fast.

With all that said, literally every single coach plays sub-optimal lineups. Mike friggin' Babcock plays Roman Polak every game.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I am really hoping Schlemko sitting is more to do with us trying to put DeMelo (or Dillon) on display for trade purposes.

Not that upset about Ward over Wingels to be honest. Though don't understand why Haley is getting time over Wingels.

Definitely looks like a couple of head-scratching decisions on the surface. But really, who knows what is going on in the background.

Why would they even want to showcase Dillon or Demelo though? They don't have much value and I'd rather have both of them for the playoffs instead of one and Mueller.
Schlemko doesn't have a history of locker room or coaching issues either (and seems like all the players, especially Burns and Dillon like him). Pretty inexcusable by Deboer.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Maybe he wants Haley to pull a kadri on mcdavid and try to get him annoyed and frustrated?

:laugh: If this is the case, I will jump on the "DeBoer is the worst coach of all-time" train. The only way McDavid wouldn't score the moment he saw he was on the ice at the same time as Haley would be if he fell over laughing.

Why would they even want to showcase Dillon or Demelo though? They don't have much value and I'd rather have both of them for the playoffs instead of one and Mueller.
Schlemko doesn't have a history of locker room or coaching issues either (and seems like all the players, especially Burns and Dillon like him). Pretty inexcusable by Deboer.

Theoretically, it could be for Tim Heed, but yeah. Players don't get showcased. That's an urban legend.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I was just trying to look at possible reasons why they could be healthy scratching Schlemko. I did not think Schlemko had any character or locker room issues in the past either. PDB has also shown that he will play the youngsters like Meier and Labanc in the roster and bench vets like Ward, Nieto and Wingels.

Instead of assuming that PDB is an idiot and just making decisions randomly, I would give him the benefit of doubt and think something else is going on. I actually think Dillon has value right now and would not be surprised if DW asked PDB to showcase Dillon for a trade. I would rather him not do that because having Mueller as the #7D is asking for trouble. But maybe DW sees our teams need as scoring and is willing to gamble giving up a D-man for scoring help. Also, its not like I actually expect PDB to come out and say, I am doing this because DW asked me to.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Just throwing actual ideas out there instead of calling the coach and idiot.

Nobody sees a good player. Doing the right things. Helping us win and just scratches them for no reason. It may be a reason you'll never know but they aren't just an idiot. And you post that everytime he makes a decision. It's old.

Can't comment on the wingels thing but getting a point or making one good play isn't solidifying your spot in the line up. I too would prefer he played over Haley, simply because he can play longer and in more situations.

Maybe he wants Haley to pull a kadri on mcdavid and try to get him annoyed and frustrated? I dunno lol. Haley hasn't even been bad this year. Arguably has had more good games than wingels.

Also if wingels is out. Who centers the 4th line?

Pretty much comes down to Ward, Tierney, and Karlsson on who could center that 4th line with Wingels out.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I highly doubt Dillon would be showcased. He's the type of player guys like DeBoer love.

If anyone were being showcased, it would be DeMelo to make room for Tim Heed. The only reason the showcase theory is even remotely plausible is because Heed needs to be in the NHL stat.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I was just trying to look at possible reasons why they could be healthy scratching Schlemko. I did not think Schlemko had any character or locker room issues in the past either. PDB has also shown that he will play the youngsters like Meier and Labanc in the roster and bench vets like Ward, Nieto and Wingels.

Instead of assuming that PDB is an idiot and just making decisions randomly, I would give him the benefit of doubt and think something else is going on. I actually think Dillon has value right now and would not be surprised if DW asked PDB to showcase Dillon for a trade. I would rather him not do that because having Mueller as the #7D is asking for trouble. But maybe DW sees our teams need as scoring and is willing to gamble giving up a D-man for scoring help. Also, its not like I actually expect PDB to come out and say, I am doing this because DW asked me to.

Yeah, the locker room thing wasn't directed at you, just a general point. I don't think Deboer is making moves randomly, I think he just has his favorites like every other coach. However, it is absolutely idiotic to bench Schlemko over some of the others.
And if you want to "showcase" Dillon, you don't bench the only partner he's good with. And if its someone else, you especially don't bench the same guy twice. That's just asking for rust.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Much rather Haley get reps and Wingels etc.... Hayley has done very good for his role. Let's tire him out and have our others as rested as possible come playoff time. Wingels may just be the most banged up of the bottom six right now. You haters have no idea why these decisions are being made.

Something else is going on with Schlemko and it doesn't mean DeBoer is an idiot.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I highly doubt Dillon would be showcased. He's the type of player guys like DeBoer love.

If anyone were being showcased, it would be DeMelo to make room for Tim Heed. The only reason the showcase theory is even remotely plausible is because Heed needs to be in the NHL stat.

This. I was thinking they're showcasing DeMelo.

DeMelo/Schlemko could be said to have Schlemko carryin' DeMelo. I guess DeBo got orders from DeeDub to get him DeMelo out there. Who knows...

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad