General Preds Talk Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Outside of our defense and 1st, I'm not sure what other GMs' would be interested in to land what we need as an "upgrade"?
I would expect picks & prospects coming back if we do make a move.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Outside of our defense and 1st, I'm not sure what other GMs' would be interested in to land what we need as an "upgrade"?
I would expect picks & prospects coming back if we do make a move.
Yeah. Maybe a high potential prospect, depending on the teams involved, but we're not getting any established scorers unless a team needs to discard them for other reasons, or we move d-men. At this point, despite the potential return, I am becoming less and less a fan of blowing the defense up.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Pretty good article over at section303.com about Poile's comments on moves that still need to be made. Not a whole lot of detail, but I think it is good to know that he is still working to make moves for the team!

Poile: Preds roster “still needs some tinkering…â€

The article is written as though we're sellers, but Poile seems to be of mind to add a piece in the week before the Olympic hiatus. For a team so deep in a hole, though, I'm not sure the pieces we could acquire would be worth the asking price.

I do think we're either going to cut bait on Wilson or sell high on Spaling by the end of the summer, but I doubt either gets us much in return unless part of a bigger deal to get something of real value.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I still think parting ways with Wilson would be a mistake. He's a 24-year-old player with a ton of skill, who seemed to be coming into his own last season before getting hurt. He's the sort of player the team should be adding, not subtracting - young, talented, with a lot of potential. He has a couple of years yet before I'd be ready to declare his potential tapped out. But of course that's just my personal opinion.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I still think parting ways with Wilson would be a mistake. He's a 24-year-old player with a ton of skill, who seemed to be coming into his own last season before getting hurt. He's the sort of player the team should be adding, not subtracting - young, talented, with a lot of potential. He has a couple of years yet before I'd be ready to declare his potential tapped out. But of course that's just my personal opinion.

I think we're keeping him and moving him to center with Legwand moving this year, and Cullen and Fisher moving sometime in the next two years.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Callahan is a Trotz/Poile type of player. You know DP would love to add him to the roster. He isn't a superstar, but he is a borderline #1 center, two way game, consistent 20 goal scorer. Reportedly asking for 7 years 42 million (yikes) ....

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Callahan is a Trotz/Poile type of player. You know DP would love to add him to the roster. He isn't a superstar, but he is a borderline #1 center, two way game, consistent 20 goal scorer. Reportedly asking for 7 years 42 million (yikes) ....

Are you talking about right winger Ryan Callahan who has taken 59 face-offs since 2011 and scored 50 points once in his career? That sounds nothing like a #1 center. He would be a useful player, but at $6M a year for a player with similar production to Hornqvist, I'd pass.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Are you talking about right winger Ryan Callahan who has taken 59 face-offs since 2011 and scored 50 points once in his career? That sounds nothing like a #1 center. He would be a useful player, but at $6M a year for a player with similar production to Hornqvist, I'd pass.

Wow. My mistake. I've always viewed him as a center. Obviously I haven't watched a lot of tape on him. Those are 1/2 center numbers. Not as impressive from the wing.

Last edited:

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I don't think Wilson moves. I think one of legwand and cullen moves and they continue to test the waters with Wilson back at center after trotz's glowing review of his game against the peg. It's funny we worry about Center for the future with Legwand/Cullen/Fisher/Gaustad all being old and potentially near the end of their careers and here we have had Wilson the whole time a natural center out on the wing.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser

I'd take him in a heartbeat on a wing here.If the wheels are in motion to dump Cullen or Legwand and Wilson to center it makes sense, I'd pay a million more than Legwand for him.

(Legwand will get 5 million on the thin open market for a 2-3 year deal)

hypothetically

top six-Wilson, Fisher, Forsberg, Hornquist, Callahan, Smith
bottom six-Spaling, Gaustad, Bourque, Nystrom, Cullen/Legwand, pick a winger-Beck, Sissons (moved into the convo) Clune, Watson

That group looks like a 175 goal group to me (assuming the kids continue to develop). and add in another 55-60 or so from the D and it is roughly a 240 goal team which is plenty of offense. For reference sake, the pens the last full season led the league with 273. And also 3 goals a game over 82 games is 246, which I think is a good goal for any team. Only 3 clubs did it the last full season

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Maybe I'm totally dense and can't see it but what happened to the message board on the preds website? They have this updated Social Media portal with tweets twirling, links to facebook, etc but can't find link to the message board. Is it dead or just moved?

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
It's now a license plate: LMN8ED.

It got to be spammer heaven, and very few people actually posted over there. Thus, the PFO lady in charge decided to do her best Tina Fey impersenation. "SHUT. IT. DOWN."

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
If we trade for another D man I'll scream. Kadri? I know there are always rumors about Leafs shopping him.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
If we trade for another D man I'll scream. Kadri? I know there are always rumors about Leafs shopping him.

In all seriousness, I think Fenton was looking at Kulemin. Carlyle has never been high on him, and he hasn't been in a role where he can put his talents to full use. His primary linemates have been McClement and Clarkson, who have fewer points combined (6 and 8, respectively) than Kulemin does. He could probably be had for a song.

Kadri and Lupul and the like are unrealistic when Toronto is looking to make a run in the playoffs, IMO.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
So we win, Winnipeg beats Vancouver, and we're 5 points out of a playoff spot. Beat St. Louis and Minnesota and we're right back in the race.

What a bizarre season.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So we win, Winnipeg beats Vancouver, and we're 5 points out of a playoff spot. Beat St. Louis and Minnesota and we're right back in the race.

What a bizarre season.

The big misconception on these boards is that the season has been a disaster and the team has been terrible. True, the losses have often been ugly, but I don't think we ever got more than a couple games below .500

Still need a minimum of 34 more points, but its not out of the question.

Also not sure how anyone can still fault Poile for choosing Hutton as a backup this offseason. He's 4 games over .500. I admit I thought he was terrible early on, but you really can't ask for more than that from a backup.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
We aren't as bad as people make it out to be. It just looked that way because we would have some really bad losses. That is going to happen with backup goalies and a very young defense. We remember those bad losses and not the wins. It also looked worse because of how hot the west teams were and getting way ahead of us. Now some of them are coming back to us. If you look at the last 10 games we are 6-3-1 but it didn't seem like it because all people talked about were the loses which were the 4-0 loss to MN, 5-4 loss to Colorado that was worse then the score because we came back and the 5-1 loss to Edmonton. Plus the Shootout loss to Calgary when we had a big lead but it gave us a point. We are just as good as a lot of the teams in the east and we would have been in the playoff race the whole time if we weren't in the west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad