Providence Bruins General Discussion thread XIX

Dangleittus13

Mar 21, 2020

Hot take…

Merkulov needs more time with BOS, what more can the kid do in Prov?!

Lambert looks lost, how is he playing over Harrison?!?

Duran did not impress, but first game so will give him some time to adjust, but the clowns behind the bench likely won’t give him much rope.

Harrison deserves better from the coaching staff. Worked hard all season to be a regular, one off night and now Maine call-ups playing over him…complete joke!

Reactions: BronxBruin

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
He's tearing it up and has done all season. It's shame that I can't see how he fits on the big B's right now unless someone gets injured.
Before he got injured, Regula was doing the same thing.

There just wasn't a fit. However, Georgii didn't really get the opportunity here when he did come up. I'd rather him be down in Prov playing actual minutes than up here getting grunt minutes

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
He's tearing it up and has done all season. It's shame that I can't see how he fits on the big B's right now unless someone gets injured.
He should clearly be in the mix on our 3rd line. I don’t know everything but I can’t see why Lauko is getting opportunities there over Merkulov other than cap implications.

I hope there is still a chance. He will certainly be a black ace.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I'm usually excited about prospects doing well and like to see them on the big team sooner rather than later, but I have a hard time seeing where he fits on the team. If DeBrusk walks, maybe Merk gets his shot? I but I think I read here he isn't as good a winger as he is a center.

I'll be honest, I'm not high on Merkulov. From the limited viewings I've seen, his shot is a weapon and it'll keep things interesting as far as his future outlook goes. But I'm just not a fan of his skate work. Reminds me of Andy Hilbert in a lot of ways.

Reactions: Dr Hook

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm usually excited about prospects doing well and like to see them on the big team sooner rather than later, but I have a hard time seeing where he fits on the team. If DeBrusk walks, maybe Merk gets his shot? I but I think I read here he isn't as good a winger as he is a center.

I'll be honest, I'm not high on Merkulov. From the limited viewings I've seen, his shot is a weapon and it'll keep things interesting as far as his future outlook goes. But I'm just not a fan of his skate work. Reminds me of Andy Hilbert in a lot of ways.

I would like to see Merk get a look at wing in the NHL down the stretch, although the cap makes that very difficult. i don't really believe he is ever a Center on this team

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I would like to see Merk get a look at wing in the NHL down the stretch, although the cap makes that very difficult. i don't really believe he is ever a Center on this team
Totally agree. Cant be a center on this team at sub 6' and weak on the dot. He was at 20% during his call-up and thats just not going to cut it.

Poitras leap frogged him on the depth chart and its going to be difficult for him to find a spot on the big league, especially with Beecher at the 4C as well.

They aren't going to have 3 rookie-ish centers down the middle next year. No chance. I think he is probably moved somewhere in the offseason to a team that wants to give him a chance.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Totally agree. Cant be a center on this team at sub 6' and weak on the dot. He was at 20% during his call-up and thats just not going to cut it.

Poitras leap frogged him on the depth chart and its going to be difficult for him to find a spot on the big league, especially with Beecher at the 4C as well.

They aren't going to have 3 rookie-ish centers down the middle next year. No chance. I think he is probably moved somewhere in the offseason to a team that wants to give him a chance.

I think Merkulov and Poitras will be in competition for a middle six center spot next season. Poitras was too good for juniors, but he couldn't play in the AHL either. Don't think its a guarantee Poitras doesn't have to win the spot.

Of course, I think Poitras will win it.

Reactions: Kegs and CellyHard

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Merkulov and Poitras will be in competition for a middle six center spot next season. Poitras was too good for juniors, but he couldn't play in the AHL either. Don't think its a guarantee Poitras doesn't have to win the spot.

But that assumes there is even a middle 6 job open for them to compete for. I expect the Bruins to have all the players currently playing center back, and they may add one more at the top.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

Poitras should have been in the AHL this year. Another example where that rule impacts players on the NHL bubble.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I thought Duran was Vanilla but competent ,won some board battles and hunted pucks, looked kinda skinny though
Bavaro skates well enough but the higher pace has him a bit unsettled, he struggles to get his shots through the traffic , however the upside is there

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I thought Duran was Vanilla but competent ,won some board battles and hunted pucks, looked kinda skinny though
Bavaro skates well enough but the higher pace has him a bit unsettled, he struggles to get his shots through the traffic , however the upside is there
Years ago the NHL held a preseason camp here in KW at the Aud. There were a few AHL teams on the ice. Wendel Clark was there helping out. One thing noticeable was how often he berated the players for was a lack of speed in there game. Watching the NHL you can see why only a small percentage of players make the cut out of junior. If a player can't keep up with the pace they won't be up there to long.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Years ago the NHL held a preseason camp here in KW at the Aud. There were a few AHL teams on the ice. Wendel Clark was there helping out. One thing noticeable was how often he berated the players for was a lack of speed in there game. Watching the NHL you can see why only a small percentage of players make the cut out of junior. If a player can't keep up with the pace they won't be up there to long.

true, it is also true why it is the very rare exception that even the best college UFA are ready to play in the NHL when signed.

Reactions: bobber

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
But that assumes there is even a middle 6 job open for them to compete for. I expect the Bruins to have all the players currently playing center back, and they may add one more at the top.

If that happens, I think that center will end up joining Pasta on the top line and Zacha will be moved to LW.

Reactions: HustleB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
oh
And it wasn't remotely close.

Does Merkulov require waivers next year??? My reading of the rules would indicate one more year of eligibility
not close at all, I was one fan who was really thinking the spot was his if he could show something but he looked like a deer in the headlights.

the waiver question is one for fans here who have forgotten more about this game than I`ll ever know sorry

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
another silly NHL rule for sure
It really isn't. The idea was to keep some top tier not ready for NHL players in the CHL so it did not lose all it's star power. Sending those tweener players to the AHL would hurt the CHL overall so the AHL age requirement was put into place. It hurts a player like Poitras and a handful of others who really should be able to play in the AHL but helps keep what is still the top feeder league for the NHL relevant with top level prospects.

Maybe an exceptional status rule for the AHL or something like it for players like Poitras who are not ready for the NHL full time but too good for Jrs?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
It really isn't. The idea was to keep some top tier not ready for NHL players in the CHL so it did not lose all it's star power. Sending those tweener players to the AHL would hurt the CHL overall so the AHL age requirement was put into place. It hurts a player like Poitras and a handful of others who really should be able to play in the AHL but helps keep what is still the top feeder league for the NHL relevant with top level prospects.

Maybe an exceptional status rule for the AHL or something like it for players like Poitras who are not ready for the NHL full time but too good for Jrs?
Right if you could use an exceptional status once every 5 years that seems like the best way to help those few players right on the cusp of the nhl like Poitras without opening the floodgates. The frequency of the exception could be negotiated and maybe junior teams could receive compensatory draft picks to provide positive incentive.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Yes, something like if an NHL team is willing to burn the entry level contract year and have the player play 10 games in the NHL. After that, then that player is eligible for the AHL .

That would seem a reasonable compromise scenario which would only impact rare players. Maybe it adds another 5-10 people leaving a year earlier, but I doubt it.

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Things got dicey for a minute at the end but a good road win. They only had 20 SOG but still managed to score 7.
--Megna & Richard carried the team on their backs. Those two have been superb after a slow start to the season.
--Steen had two nice goals as well.
--Another quiet game for Duran but was nice to see him out there for a 4-on-4.
--It looked like Harrison was turning a corner after the new year but he's gone the last 12 games without a point -- and I don't remember him really doing a whole lot in those games either. He had two bad turnovers in his own zone tonight (one of which resulted in a goal). An example that progress isn't always linear. Hopefully he finishes the year strong but his season is approaching disappointment territory for me.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

You find a spot. 2d in AHL scoring.
He needs a chance to prove he is not Hilbert.....and if he is....well you found out on your team instead of trading him somewhere else and he explodes.

I said same thing with Boychuk....won AHL best defenseman trophy...and people said well it's the AHL.
That's what it's for.....to develop prospects and give them a chance.

How many people would say Brazeau has poor skate work.....plenty of guys can skate (Lauko for one) but are not getting results....it's knowing how to use the skills you have to be successful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad