General Discussion (All Team/Player News/UFA Talk) - Offseason thread part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Its more if Brodeur comes back that sends a pretty negative message to Schneider

When Schneider has a multi year deal worth at least 5 times his backup that is the ONLY message that matters.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn't be opposed to Vokoun if he's content with 20 games. He has familiarity with DeBoer from their time in Florida and we'd be one player closer to making a Czech Voltron.

Which is exactly why Vokoun WON'T be coming here. Pete benched him for freaking Clemmensen during vital games lol

Hiller - probably getting a starting job.
Thomas - I wouldn't be completely against him as a backup
Dubnyk - not NHL calibre and played himself out of the league
Nabokov - Eugene would be good for 20 games. He's pretty close to on par with Marty at this point, but I think he'll be more accepting of a backup role.
Bryzgalov - would be fine with him as a backup actually.
Vokoun - kind of risky being 38 and sitting out a year with injury
Khabibulin - LOL hasn't been any good in 10 years, should probably retire.
Emery - worst goalie in the league possibly, **** no.
Giguere - he's finished, washed up, done.
Gustavsson - re signed by Detroit, he blows anyway.
Clemmensen - he's done.
Greiss - have some mild interest there.
Montoya - he's gone back to racing now.
Mcilwhatever - re signed by Columbus today.
Ochocinco - some interest from me.

So my choices are pretty much Nabokov, Greiss, Johnson. I'm still fine with Kinkaid too. I don't exactly trust guys like Griess long term though. Mike Smith got injured in the last few weeks of the season. Greiss took over and they fell out of a playoff spot. There's also Peter Budaj, he's garbage though.

Budaj's not a FA (yet), he's signed for another year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Which is exactly why Vokoun WON'T be coming here. Pete benched him for freaking Clemmensen during vital games lol

Budaj's not a FA (yet), he's signed for another year.

I don't know why I thought Budaj was a UFA? I wonder if they trade him an let Tokarski get the backup spot?

NJDpassantino

Jan 16, 2012
I usually always have a positve outlook and think that Lou does things for certain reasons, but not using a buyout is foolish. We have way to many D and Fayne is still not signed yet. I could understand Lou does not sign Fayne cause he thinks he can get a better D in the UFA, but not getting rid of Sal or Volch is absurd. A buyout can free a spot for a young player and it also helps the cap.

Lou better be trading one of them because this is not going to work next year. Can it be that Volch and Sal are that bad that no one wants them on their team? Like I said Lou better be doing something big because we are not winning with this team. Do not get me wrong the group can play very well but in my mind there are to many wild cards. Lou took the chance with the wild cards last year and lost. I would not do the same this year. You need players that you know are going to show up every night.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Its announcement Tuesday !! As we all know Lou announces **** on Tuesday

If it isnt announced tomorrow then looks like we wait till next week

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
When Schneider has a multi year deal worth at least 5 times his backup that is the ONLY message that matters.

seriously, you'd think Marty was looking for a 3 year deal reading these posts.

if Schneider can't handle having the best goalie of all time, a devils icon, as his backup for 1 season...yikes.

but luckily, I don't buy into THAT line of BS from Chere, either. it works both ways

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Did anyone consider that our ownership doesn't want to pay for a buyout?

A buyout of Anton Volchenkov would mean ownership needs to write a $5.6MM check so Volchenkov doesn't play for their team over the next two seasons. It would cost ownership $8.5MM if Volchenkov played out his contract.

That's $2.9MM in savings over two years, however a player will need to replace Volchenkov on the roster. If that player earns $1.0MM per season ($2.0MM) total, the savings goes down to $900k.

So, in real dollar terms, buying out Volchenkov is not a no brainer.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

A buyout of Anton Volchenkov would mean ownership needs to write a $5.6MM check so Volchenkov doesn't play for their team over the next two seasons. It would cost ownership $8.5MM if Volchenkov played out his contract.

That's $2.9MM in savings over two years, however a player will need to replace Volchenkov on the roster. If that player earns $1.0MM per season ($2.0MM) total, the savings goes down to $900k.

They already have guys that are signed or that will be signed(RFA) that will take a roster spot in place of him.

I'm sure every owner discourages buyouts but some things have to be done to move forward. Anyway I don't think Lou will say he's going to buyout a player until it has been done.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Yes, I've been saying this for over a year. No ones cares and most think we'll use a regular buyout on Sal after a compliance on Volch.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yes, I've been saying this for over a year. No ones cares and most think we'll use a regular buyout on Sal after a compliance on Volch.

I doubt most people think that Lou will use 2 buyouts lol. People want it to happen but I doubt everyone expects that to happen.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I would call that very likely... but not so much the new owners don't want to pay, I would imagine it's more Lou's budget has already been set and a buyout might be burdensome to that budget.

Especially if you are planning on being a buyer in FA.

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
Hiller - probably getting a starting job.
Thomas - I wouldn't be completely against him as a backup
Dubnyk - not NHL calibre and played himself out of the league
Nabokov - Eugene would be good for 20 games. He's pretty close to on par with Marty at this point, but I think he'll be more accepting of a backup role.
Bryzgalov - would be fine with him as a backup actually.
Vokoun - kind of risky being 38 and sitting out a year with injury
Khabibulin - LOL hasn't been any good in 10 years, should probably retire.
Emery - worst goalie in the league possibly, **** no.
Giguere - he's finished, washed up, done.
Gustavsson - re signed by Detroit, he blows anyway.
Clemmensen - he's done.
Greiss - have some mild interest there.
Montoya - he's gone back to racing now.
Mcilwhatever - re signed by Columbus today.
Ochocinco - some interest from me.

So my choices are pretty much Nabokov, Greiss, Johnson. I'm still fine with Kinkaid too. I don't exactly trust guys like Griess long term though. Mike Smith got injured in the last few weeks of the season. Greiss took over and they fell out of a playoff spot. There's also Peter Budaj, he's garbage though.

Justin Peters is another guy who could be a very good fit.

Status Quo*

Adrian Dater ‏@adater 6m

I'm hearing more that Stastny will listen to other offers. Possibility he could circle back to Avs, but count me as a pessimist

Status Quo*

Stastny's going to walk out of his house on July 1st to see a Brinks truck backed into his driveway.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I have a hard time believing Stastny is leaving Colorado...and the fact that they just elected to go with arbitration for O'Reilly says there is some uncertainty there.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Stastny's going to walk out of his house on July 1st to see a Brinks truck backed into his driveway.

hes gonna see several different Brinks trucks with various NHL logos on them. he just chooses which one appeals most

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I have a hard time believing our owners wouldn't pay the buyout. if they REALLY are serious about winning then they'd do it

although I have a strong feeling that Salvador just goes on LTIR for the year and we get taht cap space anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad