General Discussion (All Team/Player News/UFA Talk) - Offseason thread part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sounds like Marty plans to leave, which we knew. Thing is if the market is bare and Marty came crawling back and we haven't signed a backup Lou may still sign him.

Personally I think he is going to retire because I don't think anything he would want will be out there.

Yeah that's the only real unknown in this equation. Marty's made it clear for most of the last year he wanted out so what Lou said wasn't a big surprise, the only surprise was that he publicly acknowledged that Marty 'made his decision'.

Whether Lou will leave the porch light on for Marty or whether he'll be swift and sign not only Cory but a backup not named Marty in early July still remains to be seen. I'm kinda hoping Marty does sign somewhere quick to take the decision out of Lou's hands.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The step forward Greene took THIS season is far beyond anything he has done in previous seasons regardless of points.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And Merrill obviously doesn't need anymore time in the AHL...a 3 year college player is vastly different than a kid out of juniors...presumably the college kid has been living on his own and managing his time for those years unlike a kid in junior living with a host family...

This is partially why Paul Martin, Mark Fayne and Jon Merrill were all able to make the jump pretty much straight out of college and into the league.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah that's the only real unknown in this equation. Marty's made it clear for most of the last year he wanted out so what Lou said wasn't a big surprise, the only surprise was that he publicly acknowledged that Marty 'made his decision'.

Whether Lou will leave the porch light on for Marty or whether he'll be swift and sign not only Cory but a backup not named Marty in early July still remains to be seen. I'm kinda hoping Marty does sign somewhere quick to take the decision out of Lou's hands.

I didn't wanna bring it up in the schedule thread, but I got a bad feeling if there were too many back to backs, Lou would sign an experienced backup. That experienced backup could be Marty. :help:

It's not the end of the world if Marty was brought back to only play back to backs, but I have a feeling he'll play more than that. I was willing to take him back as a backup this season, but not after that stretch of time from January to the remainder of the season. Where every morning he talked about wanting play elsewhere and going somewhere else. My offer would be off the table after that 3 months of BS.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
On the topic of defensemen. Even if we don't re sign Fayne and don't use a buyout, WE STILL HAVE TOO MANY DAMN DEFENSEMEN!

Greene, Zid, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, Kremlin Kone, Salvadeuce, Petey Jr. That's 8 D men AGAIN!

Unless Salvadeuce is really LTIR'd and banished to Siberia due to leg cramps or something. The other two scenarios would be either a trade, or Merrill plays in the AHL. Gelinas and Larsson can't play in the AHL anymore without being exposed to waivers.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
This does NOT sound like what you(MartyOwns) just said :

Lou's own words. Sounds like Marty is Gonzo, MartyOwns. Don't know how you can spin it like he's still undecided. Seems more like he's made up his mind. :dunno:

Only thing I will agree(which I've stated way before) is that a deal had already been reached with Cory and Lou is just waiting for the July 1st to have Cory sign the contract. :nod:

Of course that's not exactly what you said. You simply said that Cory will be re-signed which has been the go-to phrase of the entire offseason for many of us here. But Lou's quotes actually made it very much a REALITY(if you read between the lines) that it will indeed happen.

it's silly to try and interpret Lou, but I took it as- Marty's decision is to test FA. not leave the devils. both sides have left wiggle room for Marty to come back if he wants to (as a backup)...but neither side is ruling anything out.

and yeah, agreed on Schneider. but it's not the first or last time Lou gives a non-answer about re-signing someone...I don't think that means anything is done. he gave the same quotes with parise, cbgb, etc. "he's doing his best to sign him...we'd like to keep him..." etc. personally I think it gets done, but I honestly never know anymore. time will tell

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
One name that doesn't get mentioned around here is Jeff Skinner. I'd kill to get that kid.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I didn't wanna bring it up in the schedule thread, but I got a bad feeling if there were too many back to backs, Lou would sign an experienced backup. That experienced backup could be Marty. :help:

It's not the end of the world if Marty was brought back to only play back to backs, but I have a feeling he'll play more than that. I was willing to take him back as a backup this season, but not after that stretch of time from January to the remainder of the season. Where every morning he talked about wanting play elsewhere and going somewhere else. My offer would be off the table after that 3 months of BS.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

It isn't exactly a pretty picture. Assuming you take out Ryan Miller (who's getting a starting job) and Marty, the UFA goalies of relevance are:

Hiller
T. Thomas
Dubnyk (no thanks)
Nabokov
Bryzgalov
Vokoun after a year off
Khabibulin (yech)
Emery (double yech)
Giguere (I thought he retired though?)
Gustavsson - I think he's about to resign with Detroit
Clemmensen
Griess
Montoya
McIlhenney
C. Johnson

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
On the topic of defensemen. Even if we don't re sign Fayne and don't use a buyout, WE STILL HAVE TOO MANY DAMN DEFENSEMEN!

Greene, Zid, Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, Kremlin Kone, Salvadeuce, Petey Jr. That's 8 D men AGAIN!

Unless Salvadeuce is really LTIR'd and banished to Siberia due to leg cramps or something. The other two scenarios would be either a trade, or Merrill plays in the AHL. Gelinas and Larsson can't play in the AHL anymore without being exposed to waivers.

Does it at all concern you that 6 of the 8 you've named have either never played top 4 full time minutes or haven't in very many years?

Is this not an issue?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Like someone else said I'm not entirely convinced Merrill playing right away was any better the other way than jerking around Larsson, or making Gelinas a forward by the end of the season. Yes Merrill was pretty good defensively especially considering he was a rook but I think he's got some offensive potential too and I don't want to see that go to waste being 'safety first' all the time.

Gelinas playing forward for a couple games doesn't change the fact that he spent two solid years in the AHL and had a very good rookie season in the NHL.

If another team's fan were to look at his progression they would call it very good. The problem is that so many people here hate DeBoer and lambaste every decision he makes.

People have an argument with Larsson. They don't with Gelinas.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
A lot dmen play LW early in their careers. If it was OK for Scott Niedermayer, I'm sure it'll be alright for Gelinas.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

It isn't exactly a pretty picture. Assuming you take out Ryan Miller (who's getting a starting job) and Marty, the UFA goalies of relevance are:

Hiller
T. Thomas
Nabokov
Bryzgalov
Vokoun after a year off
Khabibulin (yech)
Emery (double yech)
Clemmensen
Griess
Montoya
McIlhenney
C. Johnson

I wouldn't be opposed to Vokoun if he's content with 20 games. He has familiarity with DeBoer from their time in Florida and we'd be one player closer to making a Czech Voltron.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
i'd be perfectly fine with Bryz as the backup, but you know the reaction that would get around here because hes probably a 79 in NHL 14 or something.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Hiller
T. Thomas
Dubnyk (no thanks)
Nabokov
Bryzgalov
Vokoun after a year off
Khabibulin (yech)
Emery (double yech)
Giguere (I thought he retired though?)
Gustavsson - I think he's about to resign with Detroit
Clemmensen
Griess
Montoya
McIlhenney
C. Johnson

Hiller - probably getting a starting job.
Thomas - I wouldn't be completely against him as a backup
Dubnyk - not NHL calibre and played himself out of the league
Nabokov - Eugene would be good for 20 games. He's pretty close to on par with Marty at this point, but I think he'll be more accepting of a backup role.
Bryzgalov - would be fine with him as a backup actually.
Vokoun - kind of risky being 38 and sitting out a year with injury
Khabibulin - LOL hasn't been any good in 10 years, should probably retire.
Emery - worst goalie in the league possibly, **** no.
Giguere - he's finished, washed up, done.
Gustavsson - re signed by Detroit, he blows anyway.
Clemmensen - he's done.
Greiss - have some mild interest there.
Montoya - he's gone back to racing now.
Mcilwhatever - re signed by Columbus today.
Ochocinco - some interest from me.

So my choices are pretty much Nabokov, Greiss, Johnson. I'm still fine with Kinkaid too. I don't exactly trust guys like Griess long term though. Mike Smith got injured in the last few weeks of the season. Greiss took over and they fell out of a playoff spot. There's also Peter Budaj, he's garbage though.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
people don't want Marty back because they don't want 'the drama'...but they are OK bringing in one of the most polarizing (starting) goalies in the nhl in Bryz to back up #35? bryz, who had pretty much the same SVP and GAA as Marty last year? is that right?

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
people don't want Marty back because they don't want 'the drama'...but they are OK bringing in one of the most polarizing (starting) goalies in the nhl in Bryz to back up #35? bryz, who had pretty much the same SVP and GAA as Marty last year? is that right?

Its more if Brodeur comes back that sends a pretty negative message to Schneider

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Bryz would probably accept being a backup. I don't think Marty will, and if he says he will, I still don't trust him for ****. Time to move. Period.

Bryz wouldn't be my first choice by the way.

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
Bryz would never get a contract here, he opens his mouth too much. Vokoun, Greiss, Montoya, Johnson, and to some extent Thomas but thats about it and I really would prefer to stay away from Thomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad