OT: Geek Haven: Comic Books, Comic Book movies, RPG's, Star Wars etc thread

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I picked up AoE 1: Definitive Edition… no idea when I will get around to it.

My library is filling up with 90s games… even some 80s. Since I haven’t touched modern games (was on WoW), I’m almost immune to the aging thing. It’s kinda interesting to see how some genres have evolved.
By AoE I assume you mean Age of Empires. That was the only computer game I ever got into. Actually AoE II Conquers Edition to be more specific... my friend knew how to hook up games online so we could play each other before that was really a common thing. I remember I tried to reload that game onto a computer many years later and it actually totally crashed the system.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
By AoE I assume you mean Age of Empires. That was the only computer game I ever got into. Actually AoE II Conquers Edition to be more specific... my friend knew how to hook up games online so we could play each other before that was really a common thing. I remember I tried to reload that game onto a computer many years later and it actually totally crashed the system.

You can get AoE2 on Steam now for pretty cheap and there are loads of players. They added a bunch of expansions and civs, there's close to 30 now I think.

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

It’s actually fun to see all the remasters getting released and the modding community also getting involved to correct old defects, fix balance and sometimes improve graphics.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Episode II of the Legendary Wrestling Obsession podcast is out (at least partially) check out SNME II Part 1 the 2nd part will be out on the weekend or sooner. Check it out! Who doesn't love a wedding? Episode III will be a journey back to watching the AWA in Winnipeg in the 70's and 80's and a bit about how we lost them in 1986!
E6NX4ow.jpg

Part II is now posted for this show.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Episode III is going down a different path. Growing Up AWA has been released and covers the fan experience of being in the AWA Territory in Winnipeg, mid 70's to 1986 when our precious show was taken from us. Parts 2 and 3 of this episode will be available on our Patreon channel soon. Whether Saturday CKND All Star Wrestling was a part of your life or not you'll want to check this out!

jisprkj.jpg

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Episode III is going down a different path. Growing Up AWA has been released and covers the fan experience of being in the AWA Territory in Winnipeg, mid 70's to 1986 when our precious show was taken from us. Parts 2 and 3 of this episode will be available on our Patreon channel soon. Whether Saturday CKND All Star Wrestling was a part of your life or not you'll want to check this out!

jisprkj.jpg

My uncle watched AWA wrestling and got me hooked on it.

I loved Mad Dog Vachon, Baron Von Rashke, Hulk Hogan, Da Crusher, Jessie the body Ventura, Andre the Giant, Rick Martel, Sheik Adnan el Casey, Ken Patera and Jerry Blackwell.

Vern Gagne made a mistake always teasing giving the Heavyweight Championship to Hulk Hogan but never sticking with it.

I watched until Hogan left and AWA disappeared off local TV and replaced with the WWF.

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
My uncle watched AWA wrestling and got me hooked on it.

I loved Mad Dog Vachon, Baron Von Rashke, Hulk Hogan, Da Crusher, Jessie the body Ventura, Andre the Giant, Rick Martel, Sheik Adnan el Casey, Ken Patera and Jerry Blackwell.

Vern Gagne made a mistake always teasing giving the Heavyweight Championship to Hulk Hogan but never sticking with it.

I watched until Hogan left and AWA disappeared off local TV and replaced with the WWF.

That's awesome, we literally mention those promos where they set up the cage fencing in front of the wrestlers. Hogan left in December of 83. We got the Road Warriors in 84 and that was the year Martel became champion. AWA stopped being shown in Winnipeg on CKND in January of 1986. I still remember sitting down to watch and something that wasn't wrestling coming on the TV... I was gutted. Luckily WWF had all the AWA guys so it was an easy transition. Little did I know how those two things were connected.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Interesting discussion on the Original Screwjob of Wendi Richter.

Ya, it was such a weird time for women's wrestling. It went from being the 2nd biggest thing on the show to basically off of TV almost over night. Had things gone differently for Wendi and if you could have overlapped say Sheri Martel and Madusa with her I think they could have kept something going. But with out Cyndi Lauper the whole thing kind of imploded.

Reactions: Guardian17

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Ya, it was such a weird time for women's wrestling. It went from being the 2nd biggest thing on the show to basically off of TV almost over night. Had things gone differently for Wendi and if you could have overlapped say Sheri Martel and Madusa with her I think they could have kept something going. But with out Cyndi Lauper the whole thing kind of imploded.

I agree, once Cyndi left, woman's wrestling became an afterthought.

13340506-2331723598.jpg

I can also Wendi's desire to be paid more as she had the semi main event at Wrestlemania 1, was on Hogan's cartoon and appeared in a couple of Cyndi Lauper's videos.

288%2B-%2BWendi%2BRichter.jpg

It's just too bad that Vince McMahon dumped her like that.

f5ec9-16656007171058-1920.jpg

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I agree, once Cyndi left, woman's wrestling became an afterthought.

13340506-2331723598.jpg

I can also Wendi's desire to be paid more as she had the semi main event at Wrestlemania 1, was on Hogan's cartoon and appeared in a couple of Cyndi Lauper's videos.

288%2B-%2BWendi%2BRichter.jpg

It's just too bad that Vince McMahon dumped her like that.

f5ec9-16656007171058-1920.jpg
She should have asked for Junkyard Dog money, not Hogan money and maybe things would have worked out?

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I went to see GOTG 3 the other day at the new(ish) Cinplex Junxion at KP mall, nice theatre! Large, comfy reclining seats with foot rests and a table, excellent sound.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I went to see GOTG 3 the other day at the new(ish) Cinplex Junxion at KP mall, nice theatre! Large, comfy reclining seats with foot rests and a table, excellent sound.
How many threaters did they put in there? I haven't been to as many movies the last few years so it would be good to check out. Too bad that revamp killed the last Arby's in Winnipeg. We can't have nice things. (or even mediocre things)

Reactions: macmaroon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad