GDT USA vs Latvia 2-15-06 9:00 PM Torino time, 3:00 P.M. EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
John Grahame - 88% save percentage against a team with less than 5 NHLers.

The good ole boys network never fails... to fail.

KH1

crashlanding said:
If you don't think Grahame had a decent game, a game good enough to win your TV is broken.

Defense was the problem here, not goaltending. I don't think Miller would have done too much better.

I didn't get to see today's game but from what I've read Grahame was certainly not the problem. I do however find it interesting that the same arguement that Isles fans have used for Rick DiPietro and been mocked for is now being used for John Grahame.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
King Henry I said:
I didn't get to see today's game but from what I've read Grahame was certainly not the problem. I do however find it interesting that the same arguement that Isles fans have used for Rick DiPietro and been mocked for is now being used for John Grahame.

People will always make excuses for bad goalies.

The bottom line is good goaltenders stop shots that, had they gone in, wouldn't have been "their fault". It's easy to blame the defense and say none of the goals were stoppable, but all three could have been saved. He only needed to get one of them.

KH1

MLH said:

The bottom line is good goaltenders stop shots that, had they gone in, wouldn't have been "their fault". It's easy to blame the defense and say none of the goals were stoppable, but all three could have been saved. He only needed to get one of them.

So it's your opinion that no goalie's ever given up a goal that couldn't be stopped?

It's easy to blame the defense when the defense is as overmatched as any team in the tournament.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
King Henry I said:
So it's your opinion that no goalie's ever given up a goal that couldn't be stopped?

Obviously, yes. There's no such thing as an unstoppable goal. Clearly, there are goals when the goalie is the last to blame, but watching Hasek in his prime tells me that anything can be potentially stopped. The difference between, say Miller, and any goalie on the US roster is he'll get more saves on shots that wouldn't have been his fault had he not stopped it.

King Henry I said:
It's easy to blame the defense when the defense is as overmatched as any team in the tournament.

The US defense wasn't overmatched. A vast majority of Latvia's shots were from the outside and not dangerous at all. They had 6 or 7 quality shots, three of which went in.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Hey, take your goalie BS elsewhere. I'm no Grahame 'fan' myself but your bitterness on this thread is disgusting. I also get the picture that many of you are watching fantasy stats instead of the game. Unless you watched the game you have no right to complain about the goaltending.

Just leave the GDT and start your own whiney thread. This is getting ridiculous.

acr*

sabresrat said:
I hope they turn it around. Don't they pretty much need to win out to make a medal round now?

Not really. They can get through with another tie, if it's to a team like Russia who's already lost.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
crashlanding said:
Hey, take your goalie BS elsewhere. I'm no Grahame 'fan' myself but your bitterness on this thread is disgusting. I also get the picture that many of you are watching fantasy stats instead of the game. Unless you watched the game you have no right to complain about the goaltending.

Just leave the GDT and start your own whiney thread. This is getting ridiculous.

I'm sorry.

In the future I will just take whatever disgrace is happening to our country without complaining.

I guess it's ok if you don't care that Team USA is failing, but I do.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
MLH said:

Amazing how similar statements were made last year about Raycroft. Just because 'your' guy is playing well, today, doesn't mean he does for eternity...

Let got of the Miller can stop everything and anything. If the guy was riding the bench IN the tourney, then complain away. However, he is not. The team is what it is...

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
crashlanding said:

The only point you've made is that he played "decently". It's simply not good enough in the Olympics.

I'm not bitter, I want the US to win. The goaltending today wasn't good enough to beat the 3rd worst team in the tournament; a team with two NHL players.

Apparently you're content with a tie to Latvia. I'm not.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
sabresrat said:
I think an NHL goalie stopping only 88 percent of the shots against LATVIA is a BIG problem.

Seems like you dont have any clue about latvian hockey and what it means to us. Well, im telling you, even thought its a good result for us, its definately not the best. Many things will come and go and mind my words you will hear word LATVIA more often in years to come. And its funny how many of you stress that we have just NHL players on the roster, feels like beside NHL nobody knows how to play hockey.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
MLH said:

Well, go ask Turco vs. LA this past Sunday...According to the above, he is NOT a good goaltender... :shakehead

JoeLH

Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
amon said:
I think we can just say one word

GRAHAME

i think he forgot is talent in usa ........

big disgrace

he forgot WHAT in the USA?? ... well, you are in a quite luxorious position if you can leave a Ryan Miller only in the Taxi Squad ... :shakehead

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
blitzkriegs said:
Amazing how similar statements were made last year about Raycroft. Just because 'your' guy is playing well, today, doesn't mean he does for eternity...

Let got of the Miller can stop everything and anything. If the guy was riding the bench IN the tourney, then complain away. However, he is not. The team is what it is...

Have I said anything about Miller being a HOFer? Have I said he's going to be an all-star for seasons to come? Unless the next ten days is an "eternity", I don't see your point.

I agree, Miller's not on the team and it doesn't matter. I was using him as an example. Today's goalie couldn't get it done, I hope DP gets hot or Grahame gets it together.

I'm sick of hearing people deflect all the blame away from goaltenders if the defense allows, gasp, an odd-man break or makes a single mistake.

amon

Jul 20, 2005
Montreal
JoeLH said:
he forgot WHAT in the USA?? ... well, you are in a quite luxorious position if you can leave a Ryan Miller only in the Taxi Squad ... :shakehead
I really think that usa miss the boat in their selection for the 2006 turin olympic . Too much big player that cant skate

Hatcher and Chelios look like pylon

Tkachuk ,guerin and Knuble are non visible

Im a canadian fan but i feel that were watching the end of an era for usa ........

They are far from Canada , Sweden , Czech republic and even Finland

Special mention to Scott Gomez who were the only one to skate all over the ice

Golden Slumbers

Dec 26, 2005
Ottawa
Interesting result, but we all know the USA can play a much better game than that.

Maybe a different goalie and a little more hustle will change the story against the Kazakhs.

amon

Jul 20, 2005
Montreal
Hedican could have be a much better defence than hatcher .(never invited ... could be great on big surface )
Leetch instead of Chelios
Paul mara could have been interesting too (didnt know why he was never invited can someone help me )

Chris higgin in other hand could have been great with blake and cole
( a fast forecheking line )

just reflexion .....maybe im totally stupid

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
MLH said:
I'm sick of hearing people deflect all the blame away from goaltenders if the defense allows, gasp, an odd-man break or makes a single mistake.

When there are several odd man breaks, there is some blame that should go to the defense for that.

KH1

MLH said:
Obviously, yes. There's no such thing as an unstoppable goal. Clearly, there are goals when the goalie is the last to blame, but watching Hasek in his prime tells me that anything can be potentially stopped. The difference between, say Miller, and any goalie on the US roster is he'll get more saves on shots that wouldn't have been his fault had he not stopped it.

I respect your opinion but I can't really think of another way to put this: I think that you are 100% wrong. Stopping a 2 on 1 or a 95 MPH slapshot with a bunch of huge guys in your face isn't nearly as easy as it can look. If your defense leaves you out of position and makes no effort to stop the other team from moving the puck wherever they want there are times where the goalie would have to be either Stretch Armstrong, a psychic, or both to make the save.

The US defense wasn't overmatched. A vast majority of Latvia's shots were from the outside and not dangerous at all. They had 6 or 7 quality shots, three of which went in.

It wasn't overmatched against Latvia, but the fact that they still gave up several great opportunities to Latvia makes me shudder to think about what could happen against a team like the Czech's or the Canadians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad