GDT USA vs Latvia 2-15-06 9:00 PM Torino time, 3:00 P.M. EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Guys don't underestimate "the jetlag" and Latvias quickness up front. I doubt US will go 0-3 against Slovakia, Russia and Sweden. Latvias quickness was a perfect fit against Hatcher and Co. The commentators mentioned something about US having the biggest team in the tournament, I am not sure about that, but they will be able to controll a team like Russia for example pretty well. I would not put allot of money on Russia against US thats for sure...

Every international tournament there is a upset like this.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
reaper said:
USA need to put their players on the diet :D Can't have a team with only 100+ kg's players. Some are decent on skates but many of them look painfully slow compared to Russia and Slovakia.

I seriously belive that a big part why Slo-Rus looked so fast was because neither of the teams played a good hockeygame... I think this US team will win atleast one game against thoose two.

It seems like I am alone on the entire HF board of beeing a bit impressed by this USA team. I think they might take some big scalps this tournament...

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
g52 said:
The problem with Team USA is that everyone on the team is trying to be the hero. Gomez and Gionta are the worst offenders- everytime they touch the puck they try to go end to end with it. And Jason Blake..wow...I have never seen someone dive this much.
Are you kidding right now??

Gionta and Gomez were two of the bright spots for the US in what can only be described as a dissapointing tie. What game were you watching? :dunno:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Sabres22 said:
Ryan Miller is laughing in Buffalo......

Why? Because he would have scored the game winner? The US team tied this game, not the lack of goaltending.

Miller isn't the only player that deserves a spot that was not given one.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
The goaltending was fine. Too bad that we couldn't score. I can see 5th or 6th place for us fairly easily. No offense to Latvia, especially good 'ol Arturs Irbe (Loved him when he played for SJ) but they are the 2nd worst team in the tourney. There's no way we should have tied.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
rohan said:
The goaltending was fine. Too bad that we couldn't score. I can see 5th or 6th place for us fairly easily. No offense to Latvia, especially good 'ol Arturs Irbe (Loved him when he played for SJ) but they are the 2nd worst team in the tourney. There's no way we should have tied.
Kazakhstan and Italy are worse.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
crashlanding said:
Kazakhstan and Italy are worse.

Forgot about Kazakhstan. Okay 3rd worst. I can't see us beating any of Canada, Sweden, Finland, Czechs, or any other team outside Germany, Kazakhstan, and Italy.

We could have another miracle though.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
MLH said:
Yep. The goaltending was good enough to tie Latvia. That's all you can really ask for.
If you don't think Grahame had a decent game, a game good enough to win your TV is broken.

Defense was the problem here, not goaltending. I don't think Miller would have done too much better.

Miracle80

Jan 30, 2006
Rochester, NY
rohan said:
Forgot about Kazakhstan. Okay 3rd worst. I can't see us beating any of Canada, Sweden, Finland, Czechs, or any other team outside Germany, Kazakhstan, and Italy.

We could have another miracle though.
Don't let the score fool you, Germany could have beat the Czechs today.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
crashlanding said:
If you don't think Grahame had a decent game, a game good enough to win your TV is broken.

Defense was the problem here, not goaltending. I don't think Miller would have done too much better.

I think he had a "decent" game. We were playing Latvia and this is the Olympics. "Decent" isn't good enough.

I think the US would have gotten two points with Miller, but Miller's not in Italy so it doesn't really matter.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Folks, this is the gameday thread for the United States and Latvia. It was intended to discuss the game and the players that played in the game, not who you think should or should not have made the team. There are plenty of threads out there for that. Please keep this to game talk only. Thank you.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
rohan said:
If we can't score more than 3 goals on Latvia, the offense is the problem.

Why? Latvia's strength is it's defense and goaltending. If it's going to take 4 to beat Latvia, what's it going to take against Sweden? 8?

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Wow...U.S fans...here's a song ya'll might wanna get familiar with..."na na na na...na na na na....hey hey hey...goodbye.." - j/k :D

But seriously...its just the first game..doesn't mean much (likely that lot of the players are fatigued)..once they get that chemistry going and IF their goalies start playing well...they could still be contenders..

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Miracle80 said:
Don't let the score fool you, Germany could have beat the Czechs today.

I know. They scored first, and played well from what I heard. I'm rooting for them, especially since so many Sharks play on that team. Prospect Tomas Greiss will get the start in goal against Canada tommorrow.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
rohan said:
If we can't score more than 3 goals on Latvia, the offense is the problem.

I think Laviolette tried to implement his system too early in the tourney. Some guys are used to playing like that, but some guys aren't which is why there were numerous odd man rushes for Latvia today. He needs to simplify things for the players to get used to it. Goaltending wasn't the problem today, but some will blame whoever is in net because one of their guys isn't starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad