GDT USA vs Latvia 2-15-06 9:00 PM Torino time, 3:00 P.M. EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acr*

crashlanding said:
It also doesn't help that Adam Banks is out with a groin pull.

I thought Syphillis broke his wrist with a dramatic two-hander.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Miller was the only tough, physical defensman this team had. Now that he is gone, I think this D corps is pretty brutal. Cheli is about as tough as they have now. After that its Hedican, Schneider, Liles, Leopold????

This is Latvia flying up and down the ice on the USA. It will probably only get worse from here.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Mr Brownstone said:
I'll have to see the second one again. That third goal was a perfect shot, right up underneath the bar. It was a 2 on 1, that's Chelios's fault.

Once again, bad goalies leave people to make excuses for them. He gave up a rebound that cost him, couldn't save a point shot, and got beat cleanly by a Latvian forward. I'm guessing they have roughly 15 shots. A SP% of .800 against Latvia doesn't bode well for the future.

I know whining about it isn;t going to put Miller on the team, but hopefully this will ensire that Waddell never has anything to do with picking a team ever again. Costly, costly mistake.

Hopefully, Grahame or DP will get hot and we'll medal. Doesn't look good as of now.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Jon Prescription said:
There was a huge snow storm...
Huge is also a bit of an understatement...I still wonder though because wouldn't other countries have players leaving from the NY/Philly area?

JDevils3

Jul 3, 2005
Long Beach, NY
Every D-man not born in the 1980's has been terrible tonight. They really could use Rafalski out there. They(USA) are going to some production from the Modano-Rolston-Guerin line, to win this game.

calgarylen13

Mar 15, 2002
Roskilde
Visit site
Sakaarnis said:
3-2 WE ARE IN LEAD!!! I smell the revenge from last year. God! i Love This Game!

GO LATVIJA!

'I wanna be the sunshine in your arms
I wanna be the light from shooting stars
I wanna be the queen in your sweet lies
I wanna be the love-spark in your eyes'

AHI AHI AHI AHI AHI! :D

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Higgy4 said:
Miller was the only tough, physical defensman this team had. Now that he is gone, I think this D corps is pretty brutal. Cheli is about as tough as they have now. After that its Hedican, Schneider, Liles, Leopold????

This is Latvia flying up and down the ice on the USA. It will probably only get worse from here.
I think you're forgetting Derian "The Flying Elbow" Hatcher

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Ovechkin_mvp said:
Latvie beating US?????

Hmm, that would be a Miracle on Ice.

Not really. Latvia has been decent in the international level for a long time, and its the first game of the tournament for both teams. Often big teams, like USA and other top7 have problems at the start.

The real surprise moment is in the first game. I still think USA will pull this off, but judging by the 2nd period, Latvia is better! They have had great scoring chances, and Grahame has kept USA in the game.

Still, of course USA has the better team. Maybe just not in this game! (hope so!)

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
People are also underestimating Latvia it seems. They are a good hockey nation. They have the most intense fans in the world, and they usually perform well at international tournament (they are hosting the Worlds this year). Canada had the toughest time against them at the Worlds last year.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
Wow, our defense looks terrible. What's with all the odd-man rushes? I wish they'd say what exactly is wrong with Rafalski, and if they expect him back for the next game.

USA needs to get it in gear for the third period, they absolutely can come back to win this, but only if they stop playing like ****.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Tricolore#20 said:
People are also underestimating Latvia it seems. They are a good hockey nation. They have the most intense fans in the world, and they usually perform well at international tournament (they are hosting the Worlds this year). Canada had the toughest time against them at the Worlds last year.

Good post. Latvia is very solid and is always a feisty opponement no matter what.

As for the USA, they need Tom Poti and Jed ortmeyer! :snide:

Basher

Higgy4 said:
Yeah, I did forget him. Still....this D corps is weak.

Hall Gill might be a suitable option - he doesn't play offense, he knows his role and would be an anchor in the back for a team that obviously thinks it can roll over teams that aren't as talented.

On a side note, Latvia are playing with an extra bit of emotion, as former Predator and Wild player Sergei Zholtok was a part of the team when he died on the ice two years ago. I'm sure that lays heavily on thier minds as they play, and there is no question they have more heart the the Americans up to this point.

We have to get it together.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Riddarn said:
Go Latvia! :D

Seriously though, when will people stop taking wins against Germany, Latvia and Switzerland for granted? Sure, the big 7 are clearly better on paper but those three teams are good enough to pull out an upset against the best of them. That said, I have no doubts that the US will pull out a win in this one when all is said and done.

I think some of us knew better. This game had the ingredients for a close game or an upset before it started. Personally, I was nervous the minute I saw the USA's first game was against Latvia. The fact that the travel was so messed up added to the problems created by USA Hockey's decision not to coordinate the travel is simply an excuse if they lose, fatigued or not; USA Hockey should have planned better, IMO. The Latvian team always plays with a ton of pride and motivation (and then there is Sergei Zholtok's memory), Irbe is capable of standing on his head, and they have some NHL players combined with the core of the team arriving in Italy earlier and playing and practicing together.

Hopefully the USA can pull this out in the third; a PP goal to start would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad