GDT: Sweden vs. Russia, Feb 16, 4:00 PM Torino, 10:00 AM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
Riddarn said:
Hats off to the Russians, well deserved win. Can't say much of the swedish team. It looks about the same as I expected.

When they interviewed BÅ in the studio afterwards.... Wikegård, even though he was sitting perfectly still, looked like he boiling inside and ready to explode. Give Wikegård the team ffs, just for the drama.

As for the game, it was over at 2-0. Some bad bounces, never solved Nabokov, and the russians had very, very good finishing.

People say Sundin had a good game, I think he is playing god awful. He had 2 solo efforts, thats about it.

As for the Alfredsson bashing, sure he lost the puck a few times, but he is fast, always skates hard, and backchecks every time.

Sundin never ever gets into the corners, he doesn't backcheck, he has always looked slow out there, but this was even slower than his usual self. He just totally destroys the energy of that line, I feel sorry for Alfredsson.

Last edited:

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
mach777 said:
When they interviewed BÅ in the studio afterwards.... Wikegård, even though he was sitting perfectly still, looked like he boiling inside and ready to explode. Give Wikegård the team ffs, just for the drama.

As for the game, it was over at 2-0. Some bad bounces, never solved Nabokov, and the russians had very, very good finishing.

Maybe Hardy wasn't so bad after all. Anyone remember how much flak he had to catch after every "fiasco"? This time around, media blames the players... hmm.. :sarcasm:

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
GuloGulo said:
Maybe Hardy wasn't so bad after all. Anyone remember how much flak he had to catch after every "fiasco"? This time around, media blames the players... hmm.. :sarcasm:

Haha, Hardy how I hated thee. :]

shawn_kemp*

today's Swedish team reminded me of the one that showed up in September 2004 in the World Cup QF vs. Czech Republic.

The result was similar, too (1-6).

shawn_kemp*

Danja said:
I hate having school at the same time as all the Russia games :madfire:
Is there a site that I can stream highlights from?

there's a site where you can download the games for free :D

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Rather than ask someone else to do the illegal work for you, just search the internet for them. All you need to do is find one torrent and that'll lead you back to the source.

Not that I would know, of course.

YungGunner94

Apr 7, 2004
re

Nemchinov13 said:
I am. I was born in USSR, but in what is now known as "Republic of Kazakhstan."

just like nabokov

Nabby's mask is awesome too. A shark with all Olympic flags.

yea its pretty dope....i think its a great white chomping down on other countries flags....i know i saw swedens and the czech flag.

shawn_kemp*

I have a question :

Why didn't Afinogenov get an assist on Russia's second goal by Ovechkin? If I remember correctly Ovechkin passed to Afinogenov, who set up Yashin's shot, and Ovechkin put the rebound behind Lundqvist.

I took 5 minutes to think, and concluded that the IIHF awards only one assist on rebound goals.

But during the Canada - Germany game, Sakic scored on a rebound of Nash's shot, and Bertuzzi still got an assist!

So what the hell???

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
shawn_kemp said:
I have a question :

Why didn't Afinogenov get an assist on Russia's second goal by Ovechkin? If I remember correctly Ovechkin passed to Afinogenov, who set up Yashin's shot, and Ovechkin put the rebound behind Lundqvist.

I took 5 minutes to think, and concluded that the IIHF awards only one assist on rebound goals.

But during the Canada - Germany game, Sakic scored on a rebound of Nash's shot, and Bertuzzi still got an assist!

So what the hell???

Didn't Ovechkin pass to Yashin, who shot and then Ovechkin put home the rebound? That's how I remember it.

shawn_kemp*

daikan said:
Didn't Ovechkin pass to Yashin, who shot and then Ovechkin put home the rebound? That's how I remember it.

I just watched a replay : Ovechkin gives it to Afinogenov > Yashin > shot > rebound > Ovechkin scores.

:help:

blamebettman*

shawn_kemp said:
I have a question :

So what the hell???

just an asinine rule conjured up by the IIHF for no other reason than to be different from the NHL.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
shawn_kemp said:
I have a question :

So what the hell???

Ovy carried it in, pushing the d-men back and then delt it back to Yashin who shot.

edit- maybe you're right?

shawn_kemp*

blamebettman said:
just an asinine rule conjured up by the IIHF for no other reason than to be different from the NHL.

Ok but why did Bertuzzi get a secondary assist on Sakic's rebound goal, and not Afinogenov?

I'm gonna have to start a new thread!!! :D

shawn_kemp*

Ziggyjoe21 said:
How come Samsonov isn't on the team? He's alot better than a few of their wingers.

recovering from previous injuries. same as Kipper and Naslund and Fedorov ...

Nemchinov13

Oct 19, 2002
Gravesend
Visit site
shawn_kemp said:
recovering from previous injuries. same as Kipper and Naslund and Fedorov ...
Yup, we didn't ice the best team either. So many players are out:

Zhitnik, Zubov, Tverdovsky, Samsonov, Slava Kozlov, Brylin... These came to my mind more readily than others. There's a bunch of others too. But I like this team. I like this coach too. I have no complaints. Heck, even if they would've iced the RSL team, I still would not have complain as long as they won and gave their best effort.

Kap-the-Head

Jan 7, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
Nabby, in his post game interview, explained the new mask.
It is a a sailboat with 11 national flags (represented at OG) on sails, and Nabby is the Shark eating that boat :yo: . Originally, he wanted the monster, that he has on his SJ mask, to grab on to all those 11 flags, but the artist did not recommend it.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Thoughts on the game:
1. Hell yeah, we win!!!
2. Big relief for players and coaches, pressure is off until quarters, so they will stay fresher mentally..
3. Russia became solid on D only after Naby made a few huge early stops.
4. We'll never know how the game would have gone if Russia fell behind early
5. Sweden does not have the personnel to make comebacks.
6. Russia showed it can be disciplined with a solid lead. If we can play like that when the score is tied or we're behind by a goal, thats when everybody should get scared..
7. Nabokov was spotless.. the "C" has turned Kovalev into a monster, he's doing everything.. Happy for the RSL line, maybe these guys will start finishing now. Ovy is scraping goals from thin air, and destroying people in his spare time. Afinogenov is mostly playing stupid. Kovalchuk... not really a factor.. PK unit looked good, I think its a smart use of Vishnu and Zhukov - they're not so mobile, but on PK they do a good job clearing traffic, freeing up 5-on-5 time for the other d-men - good job Krikunov on that.

I don't know what Russia can work on in the games vs KAZ, LAT, except just improve mutual feel for passing. I think the lines will stay the same, even though some things do not feel right - unless some permutation really makes sense, better to leave them as is and let them figure it out. I like Kovalev-Datsyuk, Su-Malkin-Kharitonov, Yashin-Ovy links.. Kovalchuk is underperforming, Afinogenov is doing far too many stupid things, Frolov is lost in the shuffle.. but what to do about it? Maybe Frolov would be a better fit on the top line, but it will stay as is, because where else can Kovalchuk play? Kovy has to find a way to be more effective, though - he's the X factor on offense..., our other star forwards are pulling their weight.

I say put Frolov with Ovy and Yashin, this will be a solid line, and they'll generate plenty of offense once Afinogenov stops turning over the puck. Demote Afinogenov to the 4-th, let him do whatever he wants, as long as Kozlov and Korolyuk play tight on D. There is enough firepower on lines 1-3... what do you think? Afinogenov is playing out-of-control, and Frolov is better than what he has a chance to show..

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
CSKA said:
How can anyone take Kharitonov over Morozov or Zherdev ?

Give us another coach ! Give us a good coach ! Really i cant see it no more ! I dont give a **** if he is canadien or whatever !

Well I watched the first period on CBC. Then I watched some perliminary of short track speedskating men's team pursuit in which Italy took on Netherlands, but the Dutch fell down anyways.

From what little CBC did show (the 1st period and NOT A SINGLE GOAL), I liked Russia's offensive play better against Slovakia. Even though we lost that was a much more entertaining game than the choppy 1st period with no puck movement, trouble getting a single pass in the offensive zone, and pucks constantly getting stuck in the skates of Russian players.

The defence looked better though, especially both the Markovs. Kharitonov is good guy too, he cycles in the offensive zone with Sushinsky very well, and very speedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad