GDT: Sweden vs. Russia, Feb 16, 4:00 PM Torino, 10:00 AM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Ziggyjoe21 said:
How come Samsonov isn't on the team? He's alot better than a few of their wingers.

Name one... Samsonov is perpetually hurt and sucks. Slava Kozlov is an idiot. Zherdev is immature and a defensive liability. Everyone else is either injured or Zubov.

Granted on Zyuzin, Brylin, and Morozov... and to a lesser extent Zherdev who may have warranted a second look.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
My first post will be a rant, but rightly so.

Pure class on the Russian finishing, but the Swedes really made them look good. It's a clichée, but the ref was also a joke. As example, Bäckman got a hooking penalty while holding his stick in one hand. It barely lifted off the ice. He has to drop it on the ice not to get a hooking or what?
The Russians threw themselves to the ice very easily several times, no diving penalties. Mats Sundin got a stick in his face, no call, then the russian who was twice as big as Samuelsson throws himself like he got shot with a rifle. Penalty Sweden. It was a joke. You think it's women's hockey out there, no tackles allowed. Sundin crashes the net with the puck and has a Russian defender on his back. Goalie interference when another Swede puts the rebound in the net. The disallowed goal was ok (the puck moved out from the crease).

The biggest fault is not on the kindergarden ref, of course, he's just a big nuisance. It's on the Swedish players who seem unable to make a 2 inch pass to eachother. They are unable to skate, they are unable to pass, they are unable to tackle (when they tackle, they get a penalty). They constantly let the Russians get on odd man rushes very easily. You DON'T give away the puck like the Swedes did each and every time, embarassing to watch.

The only ones who fought for 60 min were Sundin, Påhlsson, Holmström and Lundqvist. The Russians were pissed after the loss yesterday and wanted this game much more than the Swedes and it showed. They had very lucky bounces as well, Sweden unlucky bounces. They are also more skilled than the Swedish team looking player for player, if the Swedes doesn't play as a team, they'll lose.

Our coach doesn't show any qualities at all. Statement months before the Olympics: "If there will be the NHL judgement on penalties, special teams will be even more important than before. His two biggest mistakes:

1. Where are the fcking reserves?! Canada (and probably USA) has 2-3 reserves on place, ready to jump in. Sweden has zero. Zip. None. It's very unsure if Forsberg will play. WHERE IS NYLANDER? If the coach waits for Forsberg to say that he can't play until he flies in Nylander, I have to book a ticket to Torino to personally beat Bengt-Åke in the face with a wooden plank. If he AGAIN picks a player from Swedish Elitserien, I will resign my position as a Swedish fan. During this weekend, it was clear that Mattias Norström had received a major concussion (thank you LA Kings for not sharing that information earlier). Did he fly in a reserve, just in case? Noooo. He waited and waited. Was Ronnie Sundin from Frölunda the first choice as a replacement for Norström? Or a panic choice?

2. What about those "even more important special teams", Bengt-Åke? First, you refused to pick Holmström for the first team. When Näslund said no, then he could play. Maybee. Perhaps. But can he play in the Swedish PP? Can Lidström play in the Swedish PP? Nooooo... let's roll on the lines and let's give defensive center Jörgen Jönsson from Färjestad, defensive defenseman Kenny Jönsson from the 2nd Swedish division the most icetime in PP. Can you spell the word O-F-F-E-N-S-E and P-O-W-E-R-P-L-A-Y, B-Å? Are we playing SH or something we have missed here?

When he finally, FINALLY, after one and a half game, 5-0 against Russia and 10 minutes to play, gets the brilliant idea to "Hey, let's try to score on PP!", he mirrors Lidström and Alfredsson, (a miracle he even knew he could play Alfredsson at the blueline in PP) playing Alfredsson on the right (WRONG!) and Lidström on the left (WRONG AGAIN!). It takes 5 seconds to create the Swedish PP: Lidström, Alfredsson, Sundin, Zetterberg, Holmström. Done. It took our coach 6 months. And he still doesn't get it right.

If he doesn't want to coach, give the job to someone else. He gives a whole new meaning to the word passiveness.

Sweden is now missing 6 D-men (that's a whole team folks) and 2 world stars. That is too much for just about any team. Norström, Johnsson, Timander, Lilja, Hävelid, Kronwall, Näslund and probably Forsberg (results today in 6.30h). This won't end up good. Let us be eliminated with dignity and end the pain. :cry:

If we don't start giving Lidström and Öhlund alot of ice time (we are missing 6 D-men for crying out loud) we will be punished. I hope the team and the coach understand that they can't play around in the sandbox anymore. Glad this came now and not in the quarter final this time.

Last edited:

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
shawn_kemp said:
today's Swedish team reminded me of the one that showed up in September 2004 in the World Cup QF vs. Czech Republic.

The result was similar, too (1-6).

We did at least score in that game.. :help:

Fredje1981

Mar 18, 2005
Turku
www.lukkofanit.net
Chimp said:

Pure class on the Russian finishing, but the Swedes really made them look good. It's a clichée, but the ref was also a joke. As example, Bäckman got a hooking penalty while holding his stick in one hand. It barely lifted off the ice. He has to drop it on the ice not to get a hooking or what?
If we don't start giving Lidström and Öhlund alot of ice time (we are missing 6 D-men for crying out loud) we will be punished. I hope the team and the coach understand that they can't play around in the sandbox anymore. Glad this came now and not in the quarter final this time.

Brilliant piece Chimp, just brilliant. I've seen the game and it looked like the Swedes were nowhere in the game. Russia played very good and if they continue playing like this or even better (depends if they will keep on playing as a team), they will be potential medallists.

MartinFr

Feb 16, 2006
Kalmar
Chimp said:

The Russians threw themselves to the ice very easily several times, no diving penalties. Mats Sundin got a stick in his face, no call, then the russian who was twice as big as Samuelsson throws himself like he got shot with a rifle. Penalty Sweden. It was a joke. You think it's women's hockey out there, no tackles allowed. Sundin crashes the net with the puck and has a Russian defender on his back. Goalie interference when another Swede puts the rebound in the net. The disallowed goal was ok (the puck moved out from the crease).

The biggest fault is not on the kindergarden ref, of course, he's just a big nuisance. It's on the Swedish players who seem unable to make a 2 inch pass to eachother. They are unable to skate, they are unable to pass, they are unable to tackle (when they tackle, they get a penalty). They constantly let the Russians get on odd man rushes very easily. You DON'T give away the puck like the Swedes did each and every time, embarassing to watch.

The only ones who fought for 60 min were Sundin, Påhlsson, Holmström and Lundqvist. The Russians were pissed after the loss yesterday and wanted this game much more than the Swedes and it showed. They had very lucky bounces as well, Sweden unlucky bounces. They are also more skilled than the Swedish team looking player for player, if the Swedes doesn't play as a team, they'll lose.

Our coach doesn't show any qualities at all. Statement months before the Olympics: "If there will be the NHL judgement on penalties, special teams will be even more important than before. His two biggest mistakes:

1. Where are the fcking reserves?! Canada (and probably USA) has 2-3 reserves on place, ready to jump in. Sweden has zero. Zip. None. It's very unsure if Forsberg will play. WHERE IS NYLANDER? If the coach waits for Forsberg to say that he can't play until he flies in Nylander, I have to book a ticket to Torino to personally beat Bengt-Åke in the face with a wooden plank. If he AGAIN picks a player from Swedish Elitserien, I will resign my position as a Swedish fan. During this weekend, it was clear that Mattias Norström had received a major concussion (thank you LA Kings for not sharing that information earlier). Did he fly in a reserve, just in case? Noooo. He waited and waited. Was Ronnie Sundin from Frölunda the first choice as a replacement for Norström? Or a panic choice?

2. What about those "even more important special teams", Bengt-Åke? First, you refused to pick Holmström for the first team. When Näslund said no, then he could play. Maybee. Perhaps. But can he play in the Swedish PP? Can Lidström play in the Swedish PP? Nooooo... let's roll on the lines and let's give defensive center Jörgen Jönsson from Färjestad, defensive defenseman Kenny Jönsson from the 2nd Swedish division the most icetime in PP. Can you spell the word O-F-F-E-N-S-E and P-O-W-E-R-P-L-A-Y, B-Å? Are we playing SH or something we have missed here?

When he finally, FINALLY, after one and a half game, 5-0 against Russia and 10 minutes to play, gets the brilliant idea to "Hey, let's try to score on PP!", he mirrors Lidström and Alfredsson, (a miracle he even knew he could play Alfredsson at the blueline in PP) playing Alfredsson on the right (WRONG!) and Lidström on the left (WRONG AGAIN!). It takes 5 seconds to create the Swedish PP: Lidström, Alfredsson, Sundin, Zetterberg, Holmström. Done. It took our coach 6 months. And he still doesn't get it right.

If he doesn't want to coach, give the job to someone else. He gives a whole new meaning to the word passiveness.

Sweden is now missing 6 D-men (that's a whole team folks) and 2 world stars. That is too much for just about any team. Norström, Johnsson, Timander, Lilja, Hävelid, Kronwall, Näslund and probably Forsberg (results today in 6.30h). This won't end up good. Let us be eliminated with dignity and end the pain. :cry:

Your right in everything you say, hopefully Bengt Åke will stop coach like a sissy against Slovakia, both Lidström and Öhlund are used to play 25-30mins/game in the NHL and that's what they should get in the olympics too.

Did you see Wikegård when they interviewd BÅ in the studio after the game? Looked really pissed :madfire:

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I agree with Chimp, the lack of special teams is a joke and it's not even April 1 yet! Why not make up a special line for power play INCLUDING Holmström (in front of the net) and Lidström (getting as much ice time as he gets with the Wings)? Jörgen Jönsson shouldn't even touch the ice during power plays, he can do that during box plays but that's a whole different story.

BÅG (the Swedish coach) lives upp to his initials (the Swedish word båg means monkey business or humbug) and I'm starting to doubt that he's a better coach for the team than Hardy Nilsson.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
My two cents after watching LIVE the game:

Sundin (described as awful on this thread) was the only player to pop up when the game was derailing for Sweden..in the second half of the game he was EASILY the most dangerous Swedish player.

Swedish defense looked tentative on the offensive blue line, even Lidstrom didn’t look confident enough to put pressure there. And they were not paying attention enough at the end of their PPs in the third (Kozlov and Afinogenov goals).

Russia didn’t look as good as people are making to be now, after this outcome. The game was much closer than the result suggests, the 2-0 changed it. Russia had all the good bounces (and Nabokov was great), Sweden the bad ones. Yes, the Russians were clearly better in the 2nd and in the 3rd, but not before scoring. Put Forsberg and Norstrom in the Swedish lineup and we are probably talking about a different game..

The offensive lines Sweden should use imo:

Pahlsson-Sundin-Samuelsson
Sedin-Sedin-Modin
Holmstrom-Zetterberg-Alfredsson
Axelsson-Jonsson-Hannula

Or

Zetterberg-Sundin-Holmstrom
Sedin-Sedin-Modin
Samuelsson-Pahlsson–Alfredsson
Axelsson-Jonsson-Hannula

P.S. Who said missing Naslund was not going to matter?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Speaking of Russia

-I’ve been reading that Kozlov was barely noticeable (before the nice one timer), to say how much he sucks.. well, just for the record, he was barely used! How could you notice him more? The Frolov–Kozlov-Korolyuk was clearly used as a real 4th line and Frolov and Korolyuk were in one of the two penalty killing units.. that said, Viktor is not looking like in his old good days in Florida and neither like at the start of this season.. seems slower and with less energy. Hopefully his NICE goal (no chances for Lundqvist from my perspective) will give him some faith.

-They should use Kovalchuk on the point in PP situations. Apparently they refuse to employ special teams in PP, but that could be a key flaw in close games when they really NEED a goal. Seeing Kharitonov out there on the PP doesn’t make any sense. (while they never use Frolov, Kozlov and Korolyuk in such situations. All the three are better than Kharitonov on the PP).

-Malkin was, at least defensively, Russian best forward. At 19, at the Olympics in a bests VS bests tournament.

-Kovalchuk played poorly and didn’t look like a great match for that line. Watching him live from a high position where I could see very well players' movements I have to say he doesn’t shine for hockey sense and I think at the moment he would be better used with an apposite line where he is the go to guy all the time. It looks like he didn’t know exactly what to do and thus didn’t skate as much and as fast as he could.
Maybe it was just an off day, but personally I would put him with two guys that work for him and leave him leading the offense.

Make it:

Frolov-Datsyuk-Kovalev
Ovechkin-Malkin-Afinogenov
Kovalchuk-Kozlov-Korolyuk
Kharitonov-Jashin-Sushinsky

If they are really going to roll four lines..but since it doesn’t seem the case, if there is going to be a real fourth line like against Sweden go with:

Frolov-Datyuk-Kovalev
Kovalchuk-Jashin-Korolyuk
Ovechkin-Malkin-Sushinsky
Kharitonov-Kozlov-Afinogenov

I’m very confident these three top lines would work better.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
We played like girls.

I'm terribly dissapointed.

Sundin showed heart, but the rest... ?

Lundqvist, it was not his fault but he can do much better as well. 5 goals on Lundqvist isn't very common...

Our defense was awful and makes me worried.

We need more selfishness, heart, grit and determination.

shawn_kemp*

Malkin is a monster. He was flying out there. I can't believe he improved so much in less than a year!

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
helicecopter said:
P.S. Who said missing Naslund was not going to matter?
I am too lazy to comment your whole post, but I am one of those who don't rant on Sundin's performance against Russia. At least he fought and tried to show the way as a captain.

As for missing Näslund wouldn't matter, I think it was more that people were happy that Holmström was finally in the squad. As for Näslund, he hasn't performed well in the Three Crowns. Perhaps he is a McCabe case, (McCabe sucks on big ice) perhaps he has been a victim of bad coaching (very probably). As for Lidström he needs his ice time to perform well. He needs his 25-30 min of play each game to "get in the zone". He doesn't get that in the Swedish team and it's a big mystery, since we are missing so many quality defenseman. It's the Swedish B-team on the blueline. Hopefully, he will receive his share the longer the tournament lasts. Otherwise, resign B-Å.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
To me, if Alfie get's hammered for not playing well how does Sundin get off the hook? Because he punches a few guys in the head after the whistle? He may have a couple good rushes and drive to the net a few times, but other than that looks slow and unproductive. Watching his line against the Datsyuk line was a nightmare. To me, too many of my countrymen live in the past with Sundin....calling him our most important forward and things like that. Ridiculous. This is '02, or '98? He should not be centering the top line, Zata should without question. Henrik is a better player than Sundin, a better centerman, a better defensive forward. You look at Russia, they have no problem keeping the Datsyuk line out against a top line because they know how responsible Datsyuk is defensively. That's a great luxury to have. :teach: These lines are all screwed up. :shakehead

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
8snake said:
To me, if Alfie get's hammered for not playing well how does Sundin get off the hook? Because he punches a few guys in the head after the whistle? He may have a couple good rushes and drive to the net a few times, but other than that looks slow and unproductive. Watching his line against the Datsyuk line was a nightmare. To me, too many of my countrymen live in the past with Sundin....calling him our most important forward and things like that. Ridiculous. This is '02, or '98? He should not be centering the top line, Zata should without question. Henrik is a better player than Sundin, a better centerman, a better defensive forward. You look at Russia, they have no problem keeping the Datsyuk line out against a top line because they know how responsible Datsyuk is defensively. That's a great luxury to have. :teach: These lines are all screwed up. :shakehead

Quoted for truth.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
helicecopter said:
-I’ve been reading that Kozlov was barely noticeable (before the nice one timer), to say how much he sucks.. well, just for the record, he was barely used! How could you notice him more? The Frolov–Kozlov-Korolyuk was clearly used as a real 4th line and Frolov and Korolyuk were in one of the two penalty killing units.. that said, Viktor is not looking like in his old good days in Florida and neither like at the start of this season.. seems slower and with less energy. Hopefully his NICE goal (no chances for Lundqvist from my perspective) will give him some faith.

-They should use Kovalchuk on the point in PP situations. Apparently they refuse to employ special teams in PP, but that could be a key flaw in close games when they really NEED a goal. Seeing Kharitonov out there on the PP doesn’t make any sense. (while they never use Frolov, Kozlov and Korolyuk in such situations. All the three are better than Kharitonov on the PP).

-Malkin was, at least defensively, Russian best forward. At 19, at the Olympics in a bests VS bests tournament.

-Kovalchuk played poorly and didn’t look like a great match for that line. Watching him live from a high position where I could see very well players' movements I have to say he doesn’t shine for hockey sense and I think at the moment he would be better used with an apposite line where he is the go to guy all the time. It looks like he didn’t know exactly what to do and thus didn’t skate as much and as fast as he could.
Maybe it was just an off day, but personally I would put him with two guys that work for him and leave him leading the offense.

Make it:

Frolov-Datsyuk-Kovalev
Ovechkin-Malkin-Afinogenov
Kovalchuk-Kozlov-Korolyuk
Kharitonov-Jashin-Sushinsky

If they are really going to roll four lines..but since it doesn’t seem the case, if there is going to be a real fourth line like against Sweden go with:

Frolov-Datyuk-Kovalev
Kovalchuk-Jashin-Korolyuk
Ovechkin-Malkin-Sushinsky
Kharitonov-Kozlov-Afinogenov

I’m very confident these three top lines would work better.

Why in the world would you make lines with players that don't compliment each other and break-up already formed duos with existing chemisty and experience playing with each other?

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Slitty said:
Why in the world would you make lines with players that don't compliment each other and break-up already formed duos with existing chemisty and experience playing with each other?
Cause the chemistry i noticed working for Russia on the international stage doesn't go beyond Datsyuk-Kovalev and Malkin-Ovechkin (last year in Vienna). Which already formed and WORKING duos am i breaking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad