Post-Game Talk: gdt (MOD WARNING POST #30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
What I am enjoying is the "They won the Cup and I will be happy regardless for years at least." 40 games later. "Fire the coach!!!"

It seems the contented masses are dwindling by the day.

The “what have you done for ME lately!!!” crowd sure is vocal. No point in constantly engaging them, even though it’s hard not to do.

That said, there are some posters that have “been around the block” in life, that are also vocal with their doom and gloom commentary. Those are the ones that shock me.

Shrug

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It seems the contented masses are dwindling by the day.

The “what have you done for ME lately!!!” crowd sure is vocal. No point in constantly engaging them, even though it’s hard not to do.

That said, there are some posters that have “been around the block” in life, that are also vocal with their doom and gloom commentary. Those are the ones that shock me.

Shrug

I always laughed when people said they didn't care about getting into salary cap hell if it got us a cup. The truth is that they would be blowing their minds if this team was in cap hell and a lottery team. This team is fine, though. I would like to find a way to get Beagle back. I think in situations like they are in now, Beagle would fix it.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I always laughed when people said they didn't care about getting into salary cap hell if it got us a cup. The truth is that they would be blowing their minds if this team was in cap hell and a lottery team. This team is fine, though. I would like to find a way to get Beagle back. I think in situations like they are in now, Beagle would fix it.

And for 2 million at two years I would love to have Beagle back as well.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Who are players on final year deals that are older and won’t be RFA’s on bad teams? Basically, who is def on the block? Any good names? Two biggest are the guys from Columbus, but they’re in our division and no chance we are making a deal with them...

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Did you know that we lead the league in most quality scoring chances given up? Maybe 23rd out of 32 isnt that bad when our defense might be the worst in the league. Looking at the chances we give up we should be worst in goals against.
I didn't - that's awful and begs the question how did it get so bad? :huh:

Btw made an error - Holts is 23rd of 32 w/25+ games in Save pct. GAA correlates w/SV% but wanted to make the correction.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
And for 2 million at two years I would love to have Beagle back as well.

If Vancouver retained on the salary, I could live with the term because MacLellan would figure it out.

This team is terrible on faceoffs except for Backstrom. Beagle was always the balancing force.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Burakovsky, a B prospect and the Canucks retain 500k per season.

Taking the info we have right now Vancouver doesn't want Burakovksy. They want draft picks and prospects. This why we have talk now that Mac wants a couple of picks for him. So....Burt to Edmonton or Colorado for a 2nd and a 4th. Then Hobbs and a non 1st round pick for Beagle with salary retained. MacLellan has said that Hobbs was coming on. That Caps have Seigenthaler and Lewington and Johansen plus Bowey.

If after signing Beagle Vancouver is willing to part with him, I'd guess that is what they are looking for. Not Burakovsky who is just a rental.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The Beagle Boat has sailed. I love Beagle. As has the Chaisson Cutter. I do think its hilarious how quickly a team can regret a signing. Any GM dumb enough to throw tons of money at UFA 4th liners need to be targeted for further exploitation. Dowd has done fine. I love seeing random high skill plays from grinders and he has done that.

If a team cannot develop or ascertain cheap effective 4th liners, the problem is bigger than any single player can fix.

A lack of faceoffs exacerbates some of the problems we have, but we are not losing our games on a lost faceoff. I think the record shows a strong faceoff guy nets about 3 additional goals per season.

More importantly, is building a line that works. I feel like our 4th line has a been a turnstile and mish mash of all types of players.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Fun fact: Capitals in this game gave up most scoring chances a team has given up in a single game by any team this season. They actually gave up 4 scoring chances more than the team who held the record before that.

Anyone care to guess what the number was?

smd333

May 2, 2012
Fun fact: Capitals in this game gave up most scoring chances a team has given up in a single game by any team this season. They actually gave up 4 scoring chances more than the team who held the record before that.

Anyone care to guess what the number was?
What site did you get the stat from? Scoring chances vs scoring chance shots gets confusing for me

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What site did you get the stat from? Scoring chances vs scoring chance shots gets confusing for me

Not the OP but I confirmed his number from Natural Stat Trick

On a side note it looks like the NHL is going to introduce player and puck tracking next season. I wonder how much that is going to change hockey analytics. Obviously it will depend on the quality of the tracking data but there seems like there could be some cool applications of the data that could also possibly turn the current limited analytics (Corsi, xGF, etc,) on their head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad