Olympics: GDT: Latvia vs Finland

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
It's because they are basically Finland with less talent. They have heart and they got quite organized team defense usually and often there is a good goalie as well.

When ever I see teams trying to out Finland Finland, I think of that Bane and Batman scene. "You think darkness is your ally...."

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
When ever I see teams trying to out Finland Finland, I think of that Bane and Batman scene. "You think darkness is your ally...."

That's why Russia/ROC would be a problem for Finland in this tournament. Russia is playing very untypical Russian hockey with defense first mindset and winning every game 1-0 basically. Against Denmark it was 59 mins of 1-0 untill the empty netter. That reminds me of Finland in those WHC tournaments where Jukka Jalonen was commanding inferior rosters against other top countries in the recent years. 2021 WHC and 2019 WHC to mention a few. Russia probably has the talent to score more than that with their current roster but they seem very disciplined with their defense and sticking to it quite well now.

Reactions: Marioesque

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
That's why Russia/ROC would be a problem for Finland in this tournament. Russia is playing very untypical Russian hockey with defense first mindset and winning every game 1-0 basically. Against Denmark it was 59 mins of 1-0 untill the empty netter. That reminds me of Finland in those WHC tournaments where Jukka Jalonen was commanding inferior rosters against other top countries in the recent years. 2021 WHC and 2019 WHC to mention a few.

For Russia that would be an overnight change from their usual, and to Finland business as usual. They're still very much the Bane in that scenario. But you're right, if Russia learns to play that game they have the roster to win.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
For Russia that would be an overnight change from their usual, and to Finland business as usual. They're still very much the Bane in that scenario. But you're right, if Russia learns to play that game they have the roster to win.

True. Perhaps coaching advantage still lies on Finland's side with that type of hockey. It would be a problematic game for Finland, but not saying that Finland couldn't win it. It remains to be seen if this match up ever happens in this tournament.

Reactions: Marioesque

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
He's insane enough to be a Finn, but he says he's a Swede, so I believe him. Maybe he's a rare Swede.

(Didn't indicate if it's a guy or a gal, but to quote the old hippie hitch-hiking joke, "don't care either way; you're f'd". lol)

He's comments are weird to say the least but no hard feelings. Hoping the best for him on his journey to become one of the legends of HFBoards.

Reactions: Mestaruus and Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Estonians and the people of Hungary can stand us. Rather easy.
Just curious, are you a Finn living in Sweden? Estonian is close to Finnish. Hungarian, among the rare not Indo-European languages, is also somewhat close, but about as close nowadays as English is to Persian. Not very close. You could say the only relation to Hungary is we have Anttila The Hun in the Olympics trying to be not old one more time.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Really wanted to win against Northern Estonians, but as always we're simply lacking that little bit of extra scoring talent. Can't fault the effort from the boys.
860.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad