Olympics: GDT: Latvia vs Finland

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Really wanted to win against Northern Estonians, but as always we're simply lacking that little bit of extra scoring talent. Can't fault the effort from the boys.

I'm always a bit nervous when facing Latvia. Neither Sweden or Finland could afford to get complacent against you guys as you just dont give up, so I was very relieved when the third goal came.

Reactions: Stubu and mattihp

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I feel like this Finnish team could perhaps win the bronze. I feel like the roster, especially the forward group, is a bit too old. Well, I could be wrong. I know it's early on but something is lacking for me.
The defense looks a bit shaky with Hietanen, Pokka etc. Hietanen is no shutdown guy, neither is Vatanen. Then we have Pokka who looks a bit sluggish for me.
I believe we can lose against teams such as the Sweden, Russia, Switzerland, Czech Republic and others. These rosters are really close for me, the opposite of womens hockey.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I feel like this Finnish team could perhaps win the bronze. I feel like the roster, especially the forward group, is a bit too old. Well, I could be wrong. I know it's early on but something is lacking for, at least for me.
The defense looks a bit shaky with Hietanen, Pokka etc. Hietanen is no shutdown guy, neither is Vatanen. Then we have Pokka who looks a bit sluggish for me. I believe we can lose against teams such as the Sweden, Russia, Switzerland, Czech Republic and others. These rosters are really close for me, the opposite of womens hockey.

My biggest concern is defense, I don't think we can shut teams down the same way we could in 2019 and last year. I also don't know how efficient our scoring will be to compensate for that.

I'm also not 100% sold on Säteri yet but we'll see.

Reactions: Svedu

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
My biggest concern is defense, I don't think we can shut teams down the same way we could in 2019 and last year. I also don't know how efficient our scoring will be to compensate for that.

I'm also not 100% sold on Säteri yet but we'll see.
That's true, Ohtamaa and Lindbohm are great shutdown d-men but Vatanen, Lehtonen and Hietanen are quite soft defensive wise.

But, let's be honest here. We shouldn't do any conclusions about these first couple of games. All respect to Latvia, but there's a reason why they are never playing for medals. They can play super energetic and cause problems to any team, and they will but that's not winning hockey. These kinda teams will always lose in the long run.

So the fact that Latvia caused us trouble doesn't mean jack sh*t. You can press like no tomorrow and bounce like a superball and get your opponent off-balance but you still lose.

Finland will just play their own game no matter what, doesn't matter if Latvia scores 3-0 they still play it and eventually get the result. Don't jump into conclusions, this team will be in the final and we have seen it time and time again with Jalonen. And when we're in the finals i just say i told you so.

Russia is the ultimate test and Canada too, they are always scary.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, this looks very much like a regular Jalonen team - not very flashy, especially in the first games, but solid and giving minimum chances to opponents. And absolutely disciplined and hard working. Looks pretty good so far.

Reactions: Husqvarna

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
"There's two ways to win games - you can score a lot, or you can score a little. In the latter case, you can't allow too many, but luckily we know how to do that."

Some Bubi Wallenius -level philosophizing from Coach Jalonen in the post-game interview.

Reactions: Stubu and Mara

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Luckily for me my girlfriend's dad wants the sports coverage so we share :D

Too bad too sad there are only 1%:ers like Hell Angels to have a girlfriends dad to pay to watch the Olympics hockey nowadays ...and I don't mean you are an a hell angel in anyway Finland bro'.:DD

No way.

From now on this Chinese democracy :skeptic:hockey tournament will be followed with eyes wide shut, if ya know what I mean.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
... like the rest of the jippo.

Finland won a gold today - remember him in or so 30 years to come:rolleyes:.

If Finland in hockey wins Olympic Gold this China time around - not quite so as easy rust to sleep: Rust never sleeps, remember.

But tigers ... ah, hey, my,my lions sleep at night and attack at days. Oder was. The way around.

In Finland you can trust (thirst) for the hockey-gold more than Gollum for his golden ring:thumbu:

Last edited:

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Would be fantastic to see these teams in a reprise next Sunday morning, improbable but never say never ;). Essential that Southern Estonia's captain Daržins is not badly injured and is back for the decing games.

So, what will Northern Estonia do regarding Olkinuora? Surprised that he wasn't given the start today - perhaps Jalonen plans to start him vs the swedes? If he doesn't start there and Winland advances directly to the quarterfinals, Säteri will surely keep playing on as the starter until the end. (Despite the first two wins I'm still not convinced that Säteri should be the #1.)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
So, what will Northern Estonia do regarding Olkinuora? Surprised that he wasn't given the start today
The reason he didn't even dress today was because he hasn't cleared all the COVID protocols yet, despite being let out of isolation. It's the same reason Anttila didn't play yesterday.

I expect to see Jussi in net vs. Sweden.

Reactions: THE JAM

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Too bad too sad there are only 1%:ers like Hell Angels to have a girlfriends dad to pay to watch the Olympics hockey nowadays ...and I don't mean you are an a hell angel in anyway Finland bro'.:DD

No way.

From now on this Chinese democracy :skeptic:hockey tournament will be followed with eyes wide shut, if ya know what I mean.
Sometimes I think you must be completely crazy, and you're also my favorite Swede (even over my family friends in Stockholm).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad