GDT: GDT - GAME 1: Canada vs. Russia (at Ufa)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why didn't the NHL want a senior Summit Series rematch?

I'm sure the NHL Board of Governors would love to see a high-intensity 8-match competition right before the lucrative season starts. ;)

Oops, there goes my star player with a groin injury.

Only way it would ever happen is at the immediate conclusion of the NHL season, and at that time, many players aren't really interested anyway or are exhausted from the grind.

toastman344*

PaxtonFettel:
I've just watched the 1st period of game 1, and to be honest I was really disappointed. I expected something intense, with a lot of speed and adversity ... but the game actually looked more like Columbus visiting Chicago. Slow paced game, unexperienced players, etc.

Come on ! They were jetlagged ...that was their first game together...factor in the long summer layoff ...the steady parade to the penalty box...the Big Ice adjustment ...So too.... that Ufa Ice WAS AWFUL...

Under those circumstances our Boyz deserve an A minus, at least ....They showed true grit/ fire in their bellies !!! U think NHLers woulda looked good under similar circumstances ?

Ur dreamin in technicolor ...Those fat cats woulda packed it in early !!! Our U20's Always...BUT ALWAYS...Show more heart...Course their NOT pampered millionaires...

They Play for the Love of the Sport/ Their Country !

OH CANADA !!!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
so in the end it all comes down to the NHL and the money

I think it's more the fact that the Stanley Cup championship is probably a lot more compelling than a throw-back Summit Series involving players we all know and love. Half of the interest was the fact that neither team was particularly familiar to one another.

Nowadays, you'd see NHL teammates on opposing teams posing for photographs together after the game. Hardly the same atmosphere.

Besides, it's an insult to the rest of the hockey world to exclude the other Big 5 nations given how well they've developed since 1972.

Bragging rights between Canada and Russia really don't mean as much anymore, particularly given that Russia's senior team has failed to win anything for over a decade or so.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
PaxtonFettel:

Come on ! They were jetlagged ...that was their first game together...factor in the long summer layoff ...the steady parade to the penalty box...the Big Ice adjustment ...So too.... that Ufa Ice WAS AWFUL...

Under those circumstances our Boyz deserve an A minus, at least ....They showed true grit/ fire in their bellies !!! U think NHLers woulda looked good under similar circumstances ?

Ur dreamin in technicolor ...Those fat cats woulda packed it in early !!! Our U20's Always...BUT ALWAYS...Show more heart...Course their NOT pampered millionaires...

They Play for the Love of the Sport/ Their Country !

OH CANADA !!!

what the ???

VladNYC*

Problem is, the last time any BB resident was under 20, Lenin was dodging Fanny Kaplan's bullets.

******** when is the last time you been there? The last wave of Russians has packed full every project in southern Brooklyn with young thugish immigrant Russians blasting 50 cent from their Nissan maximas.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
******** when is the last time you been there? The last wave of Russians has packed full every project in southern Brooklyn with young thugish immigrant Russians blasting 50 cent from their Nissan maximas.

Brooklyn is hilarious, I live in Boston and every time I'm there it's just a zoo. There are a lot of non jewish illegal Russian immigrants there now, who are in their early 20's...

toastman344*

NyQuil:
... it's an insult to the rest of the hockey world to exclude the other Big 5 nations given how well they've developed since 1972....Bragging rights between Canada and Russia really don't mean as much anymore

I'm sorry Nyquil BUT ur talking nonsense here...Case u haven't noticed :)...This is a JUNIOR U-20 Summit...There is no question that historically, there has only been 2 SuperPowers in the World U20's and Canada-Russia are it...Yes, the US NTDP is great, yes the 3Kr jr's are back....BUT Can-Rus jr's have completely dominated at this level , as witnessed by the fact that 5 of the last 6 finals have been CAN-RUS...SInce this tourney's became official circa 1977...CAN has something like 13 Gold RUS 12...the nxt highest is 2 for Cze I believe...Swe=1, Fin=1 ( but of course that was the Piestany-Punch up year ) USA=1

So let's recap shall we ?:) U20's CAN + RUS= 25 Gold !!! Rest of WOrld =5 ...If the rest of the planet feels insulted for being excluded from this True Super-Power U20 Summit...Maybe they ( R.O.W.) better WIN Gold more than once ever damn decade , eh ?!!!? :)

OH CANADA + RUSSIA BABeeeeY !

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
******** when is the last time you been there?

Last year, I think, but if your post is true never will be soon enough for the next time. You must admit however that it's the dominoes and the track suits originally purchased in 1988 at the Tiraspol tolkuchka that grab your immediate attention.
I shall probably never forget the one time I ate at a BB pelmennaya with what looked like a gay version of Pesnya-74 blasting from a wall-size TV screen. The pelmeni were great, however.

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
it's an insult to the rest of the hockey world to exclude the other Big 5 nations given how well they've developed since 1972....Bragging rights between Canada and Russia really don't mean as much anymore

Well, that's what World Cup was for, the long-forgotten beautiful idea that it was. If you remember (and few people do), they even used to through in a well-natured minnow, like Germany (or was it GDR?), Switzerland and occasionally Tanzania (I think... not that it matters) in there, just to even out the number of participants.
It was a wonderful tournament, certainly much better than the half-baked Worlds that IIHF throughs out there every year hoping that enough NHL stars cop out of the SC playoffs early to make it watchable.
And where is it now? You tell me. I forgot.

As for this... It's just for the old times' sake, it's all. Hopefully, this one will make us learn all those things we neglected to take into account 35 years ago.

PS (in addition to BLS' post)... Ahhhh, the Piestany Punch-Up... IIRC, they never even showed it on Soviet TV. I remember a Vremya report with all the gloves and sticks lying on the ice, but not the actual fisticuffs. It's out there on Youtube somewhere. You tell me if there is a better rivalry in sports. Americans can take there Yankees-Red Sox and stick 'em where sun don't shine. By which, of course, I mean the bloated stomachs of baseball players.

Half of the interest was the fact that neither team was particularly familiar to one another.
Nope. 99% of the interest was politics, and nobody can possibly be sorry that this is a thing of the past (one would hope, but with today's atmosphere in Russia, you never know). As for knowing... Canadians thought they knew: it'd be a bunch of overrated commies who never played against a country anyone could find on a map. Oh, they'd eat 'em alive, they would. Espo probably put his skates on twice through all of training camp, and it was a part of a bar bet.
The Russians also thought they knew: it'd be a bunch of grizzly "professionals" (used as a swear word in USSR, as opposed to CSKA's rosy-cheeked "amateurs"), brainless fuel for a humanless machine of capitalistic enterprise spoiling the clean sheets of sporting ideals.

Is this really the kind of charm you want back?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad