GDT: GDT - GAME 1: Canada vs. Russia (at Ufa)

Macman

May 15, 2004
Sorry, but the referreeing wasn't consistent. I have no complaint with what was called against Canada, for the most part. But if you're going to call it that tightly against one team, you have to do it for both, and those guys didn't.

Tremendous win for Canada, though. They looked so bad the first 10 minutes, but that's expected after all the travel. Mason settled down nicely and the D played pretty well. I thought Turris and Sutter were great. Tavares looked like a fish out of water on the big ice. This is the third time I've seen Cherapanov play against Canada and he's been pretty invisible all three times.

The bottom line: Brent Sutter is a genious.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I guess were not going to see this series in high def until it gets to Canada. TSN's feed was from a Russian network. Disappointing. I thought the pace of the game after the first was pretty good considering the supposedly bad ice. It was nice to see a full house. The Russian fans were great. I'd love to be there.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Sorry, but the referreeing wasn't consistent. I have no complaint with what was called against Canada, for the most part. But if you're going to call it that tightly against one team, you have to do it for both, and those guys didn't.

Tremendous win for Canada, though. They looked so bad the first 10 minutes, but that's expected after all the travel. Mason settled down nicely and the D played pretty well. I thought Turris and Sutter were great. Tavares looked like a fish out of water on the big ice. This is the third time I've seen Cherapanov play against Canada and he's been pretty invisible all three times.

The bottom line: Brent Sutter is a genious.

Tavares looked a little lost in the 1st and 2nd, but he had a great back check in the third to kill a scoring chance for the Russians.

I don't think he has much chemistry with his linemates yet.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Or he gets to coach better players than other coaches.

I dunno. This is a very young, inexperienced team and to go into the heart of Russia and survive a terrible start is pretty impressive. The players obviously buy into whatever it is he says to them.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
GAME REVIEW:

The game of hockey cannot be won in the first ten minutes of the opening period, and the Russians found that out in the opening game of the Super Series Monday.

Coming out of the gates with imposing physical play, sharper passing and a hunger that surpassed the Canadians, Team Russia jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead on Canada. But the Canadians, who were seeing their first game action as a unit, slowly and surely managed to step up and become more comfortable on the larger ice surface, eventually taking over the game late in the first period and never looking back.

A disinterested Russian team couldn't manufacture anything in the way of scoring chances on Canadian netminder Steve Mason, who was beaten twice by shots from beyond 30 feet. After the shaky start, Mason calmed himself and regained his composure, stopping every puck thrown his way in the last 50 minutes of the game.

His counterpart, Washington Capitals prospect Semen Varlamov, wasn't nearly as sharp in the games final 50, however. Three times he was beaten between the legs, including on a sharp angled goal by Sam Gagner that put the game out of reach for the Russians.

Varlamov wasn't the Russians only weakness, though, as the highly offensive group managed but one goal on an incredible 14 powerplays - including two lengthy 5-on-3 opportunities. Credit the Canadian penalty kill as much as the ineptitude of the Russians though, as the duo of Kyle Turris and Claude Giroux did an excellent job of keeping the Russians off the scoresheet in the second, while Brandon Sutter played steller with two Canadians in the penalty box in the second and third period.

For the full game review including who impressed and who didn't, please visit Future Considerations

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
General impressions from game 1:

Canada was the better team and deserved the win, despite a slow start.

None of the goals were really 'good' goals, with the possible exception of Turris' penalty shot. Varlamov might want to think about paying closer attention to the five-hole, where three of the goals were scored. After the second goal, I thought to myself that Mason might not be seeing much action after this game, but he was quite strong in the second and third.

Canada was sloppy defensively, which was surprising given who the coach is. That sloppiness was a big reason for all the penalties. Between their running around and their giveaways, they probably shortened Sutter's life by about three years.

Russia's play was, overall, kinda disappointing. Except in spurts, they seemed to rely on a lot of one-man rushes. For a team that had played two full games before today, their team play was sadly lacking. They played physical at times, but once Canada started to respond, they seemed to back off on that aspect as well.

The officiating wasn't bad. Some of the calls were questionable to be sure, as were some non-calls. Based on Hockey Canada's criteria, I wouldn't have called the penalty shot; one of the five criteria is that a reasonable scoring chance was denied, but Turris still got a shot off, however weak. (Note that that's Hockey Canada's criteria; it's a reasonable assumption that the IIHF criteria are different.) Regardless, the officiating isn't an excuse.

For the next game:
Canada had better figure out the way the game is being called. A dozen power play chances against, including multiple 5-3s, is not acceptable. They also need to have better goaltending for all 60 minutes. Mason was good in the last 50, but a 10-minute lapse is not acceptable at this level. And they need to be sharper, especially with the puck, in their own end.

Russia needs to start playing as a unit. They have good puck skills, but trying to go one against five is almost always going to end up the same way. They need to capitalize on their chances. And yes, they also need better goaltending.

Russia needs three wins on home ice if they're going to win this series, because once the series shifts to the smaller ice surfaces over here, the advantage swings heavily to Canada.

One last thing: someone needs to figure out how to fix the ice in that rink. You could tell, five minutes in, that the ice was horrible.

silverback

Jul 10, 2007
How did David Perron do? I don't see him on the score sheet but, I heard he didn't look good. Was he a minus for the game?

Wish this was televised in the U.S.

Thanks for the info!

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Perron was okay. Took a dumb penalty in the first, but then again, so did a lot of players. He didn't stand out by any means.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'll be curious to see if Sutter changes some things up on that 1st line after this game.

Turris was very good to excellent, but Tavares and Perron were mostly nervous passengers and did little...and one report I read indicated that in the practices leading up to game 1, they'd been having trouble creating some chemistry between them.

I don't think we'll see the Gagner line fiddled with, but with Sutter having one game in the win column already, he might decide to do a bit of tinkering to see if he can get Tavares going.

Macman

May 15, 2004
with Sutter having one game in the win column already, he might decide to do a bit of tinkering to see if he can get Tavares going.

It's pretty hard to get going, though, when your team's in the penalty box for half the game and the Russians aren't getting any penalties. I don't know what Tavares's minutes were, but it must have been pretty minimal.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Pretty good game...Canada looked totally lost up until Legein popped one in, then they started to get things going. I don't know much about Varlamov but he got beat 2-3 times fivehole, he looked kinda shakey at times. Mason did too before settling in.
I was really impressed with Gagner, Turris and Sutter, above all. Legein looked good too. I was hoping for a bit more from Tavares, but he's going to explode in this series sooner or later. I thought he was working really hard out there.
I'm not good with names so I don't remember too many standouts from Russia, except Artem Anisimov, who was excellent. How they managed only one goal on 14 powerplay opportunities (2 5-on-3s) is a mystery to me, but Canada's PK was excellent.
I'm looking forward to seeing 7 more games between these teams, today was only a small glimpse of what to expect.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
The question I'd have is if Sutter plans to rotate the scratches in. I could see D Ty Wishart come in, given that Canada's defence was not stellar. But Dana Tyrell, the forward scratched, is mostly an energy guy. Canada's checking line performed very well, including scoring their first goal. It's a tough spot for Tyrell to be in. It's a tough argument to make that there's a spot on that roster for him.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
My point exactly. That's why the players seemed to be alone and a bit lost. Maybe they made the mistake of hiring a "name" guy instead of a strong coach?

Even though Nemchinov had no previous coaching experience I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
But, based on today, that guy has absolutely no clue what he's doing. It's nothing but individual play; players running around with their head cut off; no PP at all; etc.

I don't care if he's the GM of the national team.........there's a BIG difference between being a GM and actual coaching.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Even though Nemchinov had no previous coaching experience I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
But, based on today, that guy has absolutely no clue what he's doing. It's nothing but individual play; players running around with their head cut off; no PP at all; etc.

I don't care if he's the GM of the national team.........there's a BIG difference between being a GM and actual coaching.

Canada's best asset going into the tourney was Brent Sutter. He's made a lot of coaches look bad in the past, so not exactly the right situation for a new coach to learn his chops!

This leads to Russia's bigger problem: Canada played a rather underwhelming game. Tavares is finding his stride, the defence was rusty and they took too many penalties. Tomorrow morning Sutter will be addressing these things in practice and he will adjust his game plan now that he has seen the opposition play.

Canada is definitely going to get better. Russia needs to get much better and much more quickly.

VladNYC*

The bottom line is Team Russia didn't even care. They smiled and joked around after Canadian goals. They took no exception to having 5 Canadians in the crease. I can probably get a u-20 team of Russians from Brighton Beach Brooklyn NY that would perform better. Varlamov looked like it was the first time he wore goalie pads. They won't win a a single game this way. What a ****ing disgrace.

Bobby Lu

Feb 7, 2007
Brandon Sutter is a beast defensively. I didn't know how well he would play because the knock on him is his skating ability. I thought he would suffer a bit more on the international ice surface.

There was one guy Luke Schenn was a monster on our back end blocking shots.

Gagner has some seriously dangle/sticka handling skills. He improved a lot since the World Juniors where he was hardly a factor being so young.

toastman344*

Vlad:
The bottom line is Team Russia didn't even care. They smiled and joked around after Canadian goals. They took no exception to having 5 Canadians in the crease. I can probably get a u-20 team of Russians from Brighton Beach Brooklyn NY that would perform better. Varlamov looked like it was the first time he wore goalie pads. They won't win a a single game this way. What a ****ing disgrace.

Maybe I'm stereotyping but I've long had the impression that RUS fans either get too high after a win or too low after a loss...Yes, I would agree that Team Russia was outcoached BIG TIME...Unquestionably, Mason outplayed Varlamov... Yup, again the Russian pp was pretty bad... BUT in no way was this game a disgrace...This was certainly a game Rus coulda won !

Team Russia had 42 shots...I had no major problem with the officials either...so there was a reason that our Boyz took so many penalties...& a lot of that had to do with the fact that their opponents were given them problems...

For sure our guys were rusty/jet lagged...for sure positive adjustments will be made by Brent Sutter...Sans doubt ,Team Canada WILL Get Better....BUT so will Team Russia...

There were 2 Rusty teams out there today....This series is FAR FROM OVER ! Unless, our guys play a helluva lot better...we're gonna lose our share of games ...It's way too early to crown ourselves champion...and its equally absurd to imagine that our very talented opponents can't come back strong !

CHEERS

time

Feb 26, 2005
...It's way too early to crown ourselves champion...and its equally absurd to imagine that our very talented opponents can't come back strong !

What I'm waiting for is them to sub in some goalie we've never heard of. Then the guy will stand on his head.

But it will take something like that if Russian has a chance at winning a majority of the games.

espo*

Good start for us all things considered.I thought we'd drop the first game and it sure started out with all signs pointing in that direction but our guys got focused afetr that first goal and then took the game to them. Our first game in these type of things is usually our worst one so we should just get better from here on in especially with a Sutter coached team.Need to get better defensively and stay out of the box more however.

The Russian team looks like they can play with Canada if they would play as a team with some focus but it seems the usual deficiencies in their game were at play yesterday like bad game plan,lack of mental toughness,unability to play and stay at a physical game and too much foolish soloing from their players indicating a lack of sound hockey sense.

they have to get it together,that was a bad game for them to drop as it should have been a winnable contest all things considered.

it's early though.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
I've just watched the 1st period of game 1, and to be honest I was really disappointed. I expected something intense, with a lot of speed and adversity ... but the game actually looked more like Columbus visiting Chicago. Slow paced game, unexperienced players, etc.

Why didn't the NHL want a senior Summit Series rematch?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad