GDT: GDT - GAME 1: Canada vs. Russia (at Ufa)

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
Nice deke, bad goaltending...

This is, essentially, a game that Russia should win if they want to win the tournament. Doesn't look too good

joe_shannon_1983*

How long is it before the Ruskies start getting frustrated, and start taking stupid penalties like they did in past Gold Medal games?

VladNYC*

I can't remember a worse looking team Russia ever. They are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Will be amazing if they win 1 game.

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
ANOTHER PP FOR RUSSIA! Can Canadians start complaining yet? This is joke officiating.

Being pro-Canada in this tournament if anything, I don't see your point at all. Or are you one of those people who believe that both teams should have the same amount of penalties no matter what? I think that the ref has been decent, really. It's tight, sure, but not just for Canada, remember that Canada even got the penalty shot...

If you're joking, I apologize. You just can't be sure with these kinds of arguments.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
2nd PERIOD SUMMARY

Coaches will preach that goals in the first and last minute of a period can kill a team, and the Canadians are hoping that it will do the same to the Russians. 2007 WJC gold medal winner Brad Chartrand deposited a feed from Sam Gagner after a beautiful move by the Oilers prospect just 58 seconds into the period to give Canada their first lead of the game. Then, with just over a minute remaining

Using the momentum of the early goal, Canada killed off four penalties in the second period, including a critical 5-on-3 where goaltender Steve Mason kept Russian shooters at bay. Mason played considerably better, looking more comfortable between the pipes en route to stopping every shot faced in the second.

Although they played better in the middle frame, Canada still suffered from a few mental mistakes, with both Keaton Ellerby and Karl Alzner taking delay-of-game penalties. Again, it wont please head coach Brent Sutter, but what will is the penalty killing of son Brandon Sutter and the duo of Kyle Turris and Claude Giroux, who have been dominating while down a man.

The Russians will need their powerplay to generate more offense if they hope to get back into the game. The Canadians have taken nine penalties through two periods, with the Russian powerplay yielding just one goal. Goaltender Semen Varlamov will also have to be sharper, allowing three of the four goals Canada scored through the legs.

After two, the Canadians lead 4-2.

To view the Game Blog, please click HERE.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Being pro-Canada in this tournament if anything, I don't see your point at all. Or are you one of those people who believe that both teams should have the same amount of penalties no matter what? I think that the ref has been decent, really. It's tight, sure, but not just for Canada, remember that Canada even got the penalty shot...

If you're joking, I apologize. You just can't be sure with these kinds of arguments.

PP's are now 12-4 for Russia, by a Russian ref in Russia. Don't tell me something isn't a little bit amiss here. The fact that Russia is 2 goals down with a helper like that on their side tells me that this is likely going to be easy 4 games for Canada once it comes back to Canada.

edit - 12-4 with 2 long 5 on 3's

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
PP's are now 12-4 for Russia, by a Russian ref in Russia. Don't tell me something isn't a little bit amiss here. The fact that Russia is 2 goals down with a helper like that on their side tells me that this is likely going to be easy 4 games for Canada once it comes back to Canada.

edit - 12-4 with 2 long 5 on 3's

Are you watching the game or just throwing stats around? I haven't seen questionable calls.

EDIT: I agree with this probably being a pretty easy series for Canada, at least unless Varlamov totally turns his game around.

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
Nice win for Canada! Great effort, as usual (especially regarding Sutter's teams) by the blue-collar guys, Sutter, Marchand etc.

From my point of view, the jury is still out on the series. I think I'm going to watch at least game 2 but unless the level of play improves and/or Russians get better this might not be a very good watch... But at least the effort was there, which bodes well for the series.

VladNYC*

I saw NOTHING good from the Russian side. Just completely out hustled, out played, out hit and out coached. Our players are afraid of the Canadians, they don't shoot the puck, they won't even get close to a corner. I saw no chemistry and Varlamov is awful in net. I just don't get what is going on. To call this a Super Series is an insult to the great players of hockey past.

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
I saw NOTHING good from the Russian side. Just completely out hustled, out played, out hit and out coached. Our players are afraid of the Canadians, they don't shoot the puck, they won't even get close to a corner. I saw no chemistry and Varlamov is awful in net. I just don't get what is going on.

Agreed. Do you/does anyone know about Nemchinov's coaching resume? I mean, the system didn't impress at all, it kind of left the players alone. He at least can't be very experienced behind the bench, given that he only stopped playing three years ago...

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I thought officiating was good, no problems there.

Team Canada lacks chemistry right now, and definetly are taking way to many penalties, that being said the PK was just amazing and Brandon Sutter is just awesome. Can't rely on that all tourney though, gotta get some discipline, that will come though, these guys are all off their stride with not playing for a while.

Team Russia is skilled, a little intimidated and one guy even dove to get away from a hit along the boards, a bit of a cowards move but just affraid more than anything. The Russians actually dominated this game with puck possesion, but were too affraid to go into traffic areas and the corners to really do much with the puck.

Series could still go either way.

VladNYC*

Agreed. Do you/does anyone know about Nemchinov's coaching resume? I mean, the system didn't impress at all, it kind of left the players alone. He at least can't be very experienced behind the bench, given that he only stopped playing three years ago...

Coach? That's funny. That did not look like a team with a coach to me.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
3rd PERIOD SUMMARY

Although they continued to take penalties, including another 5-on-3 kill, the Canadians played a highly effective third period, playing strong and disciplined in their own end - undoubtedly frustrating the offensively talented Russian forwards. Not to be left out, Canadian forecheckers frustrated Russian defensemen in the third period as well, constantly beating their counterparts to the puck and winning board battles throughout the final frame.

With another five penalties in the third, the Canadian penalty killers outdueled the Russians, who were forced to keep passing the puck on the perimeter, hoping they could get Team Canada running around and out of position. This wasn't the case, however, and the likes of Carolina Hurricanes prospect Brandon Sutter was one of many to keep the Russians from garnering a quality scoring chance.

Canadian goaltender Steve Mason, who struggled in the first period after giving up a pair of goals in the opening ten minutes, was highly effective in the third. Never caught out of position, Mason stayed square to the shooter and didn't offer up much of the net to Russian shooters. Being 6'3 and positionally sound, nothing was able to evade Mason, who started playing the puck with more confidence as the game wore on.

You can view the entire game blog of Game 1 of the Super Series by clicking HERE

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I thought so too. They even called the Russian for diving out of the way of the check. Very very very consistent and strict.

Werd, the reason Canada had some many penalties was because they were running around, the Russians always had the puck which is why they didn't take penalties.

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
Coach? That's funny. That did not look like a team with a coach to me.

My point exactly. That's why the players seemed to be alone and a bit lost. Maybe they made the mistake of hiring a "name" guy instead of a strong coach?

EDIT: therealdeal: Yes, and Canada also was using the stick much more. Those infractions are undisciplined, and I'm sure Sutter will let the guys hear about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad