GDT: GDT #9 New York Islanders @ Washington Capitals | November 2nd | 7 PM | F/3-0 W

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just finished watching the game and haven't read anything but my initial thoughts are that that game was the worst Barzal has looked in some time. He did absolutely nothing but turn the puck over all night. Horvat was all over the ice and making up for Barzal's mistakes.

Aho was abused all night by Oshie.

Kuznetsov was dominating early but after the puck to the head seemed to slow down significantly.

Fasching is a more well rounded player than Wahlstrom.

I’d say he looked pedestrian. Kind of disappointing really. He’s got some elite skill sets but isn’t showing it enough

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I like this team. I think it always had the skill to do well in the playoffs and if they keep doing what they did in the latter part of this game they will be fine. The first 2 periods I would rather forget about. I liked how they were much more aggressive when defending the entry on their own blue line and how they aggressively approached and attacked the the puck handlers at the point rather than everyone just falling back in front of the goaltender. Most of all I liked how they stayed aggressive once they had the lead. All good stuff.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
are you wearing those blue and orange glasses again?? lol
I'm wearing my Bill Parcell's shirt; the one with "You Are What Your Record Says You Are"

Have a nice day! If that's possible for you . . .

I'll make it easy for you tomorrow, here's something you can use each time you want to whine:

1699020178480.png

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So interesting comment on Washington being slow, I purposely focused Ovechkin last night in his pursuit of Gretzky's goal scoring record. And what I saw was a man who's play is definitely being impacted by Father time. I saw a player that had no interest in returning to the play in the D-zone and lacked in his ability to throw his signature crushing hit at least once a game. His pursuit of the puck in the offensive zone also seemed to be missing some spark. Maybe he was having an off night or maybe all those big hits he's thrown all these years are taking a toll. But I'm not sure as all the analyst are saying that it's a "matter of when and not if" the record will be broken. That being said I'm sure in his next game he throws a massive hit and scores a natural hat trick.
Ovechkin himself has slowed down. You can confirm your eye test with his skating stats on NHL Edge. This season against the last 2 seasons they compiled, Ovechkin has gotten progressively slower and his game has gotten less productive. It certainly seems Father Time is winning the battle.

I’d say he looked pedestrian. Kind of disappointing really. He’s got some elite skill sets but isn’t showing it enough
His edgework and his ability to hold the puck still has not translated into production.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Barzal is slowly developing into a nothing player. It's kind of sad to see someone with as much skill as him doing so little with it, and making such bad plays in his own zone.

Good win, and a solid display, where the Isles for once got the better of their opponents being extremely effective.

Reactions: Barzaltrick and MJF

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
my god...

WE ARE 5-2-2 BURN IT DOWN! REBUILD! SHINY PROSPECTS!!!

Barzal is slowly developing into a nothing player. It's kind of sad to see someone with as much skill as him doing so little with it, and making such bad plays in his own zone.

Good win, and a solid display, where the Isles for once got the better of their opponents being extremely effective.

I think he needs to be moved back to center. His game isnt as effective from the wing.

• Haha
Reactions: nyisles

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Wanna give the boys some credit here, Washington was on a 3 game win streak.

Its like looking back at the Arizona game, you fall into the 'oh it's the Coyotes' then realize they are competitive this year..

Reactions: Osakahaus

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
2023-24 New York Islanders Roster, Stats, Injuries, Scores, Results, Shootouts | Hockey-Reference.com

Some interesting stats that kind of go against perceptions.

Engvall has 5A, only 8 shots on goal in 21 attempts, 1 blocked shot and 2 hits, with 4 takeaways and 4 giveaways in 14:46 playing with Nelson and Palmieri, who are producing a lot of points.

Holmstrom has 2G , only 7 shots on goal in 12 attempts, 5 blocked shots and 1 hit, with 7 takeaways (2nd on the team behind Barzal of all people) and only 2 giveaways, while playing 12:40

Lee has one goal but has 21 shots on goal on 37 attempts. We all know that shooting percentage is not staying there. 6 blocked shots too and 16 hits.

Nelson leads with 60 shot attempts but only hit the net with 33 of them.

Pageau at a 62% faceoff percentage

Dobson is playing huge. Besides the PPG pace, he’s blocked 28 shots already. About 50% of his shots hit the net; I’m guessing that’s above average for an offensive defenseman given how point shots get blocked today.

Shot blocks are up over last year. Nearly 19 per game vs 16 last year. We’ve given up 309 shots on goal in the 9 games (34 per game) and the combined save% is .932. Last year we gave up 31 per game.

Wanna give the boys some credit here, Washington was on a 3 game win streak.

Its like looking back at the Arizona game, you fall into the 'oh it's the Coyotes' then realize they are competitive this year..
In 3rd place in their Division

Reactions: JKP and Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Dobson made multiple great defensive reads last night, we're getting back to him being a 2-way force

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
PK?:oops:
you mean PP against?
Yes. The idea is that if the Isles PK is giving up goals 18% of the time and the WAS PP is scoring 12% of the time, then the risk of losing the challenge and giving up a PP goal is maybe 15% versus a 100% chance of giving up the goal that WAS just scored if you don't challenge.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just depends how you view a successful season. If it's cup or bust you'll be right 97% of the time.
Shouldn’t this be our view? Our last trip to the Finals was 40 years ago.

Ownership is solid, off-ice business is coming along, the threat of relocation is dead, our new arena is a palace. What am I missing? Let’s just be better than last year again?

Reactions: Rehabguy

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
FA Signings:
Bertuzzi 2G/1A for $5,500,000
Domi 4A for $3,000,000
Kampf (with the Cizikas type deal) 2A for $2,400,000
Klingberg 5A for $4,150,000
Leafs board wants to send Reaves to Siberia after not responding to Marchand's injuring Liljegren.

The grass isn't always greener . . .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad