GDT: GDT #39 New York Islanders @ Vegas Golden Knights | January 6th | 10 PM | F/5-2 L

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Pack it up and move on. What a terrible loss either way by the isles. Terrible road trip as well. 3/8 points, and absolute failures against teams above us in the standings. The next 7 games might be even worse. we might be losing 6 of 7 as well.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Pack it up and move on. What a terrible loss either way by the isles. Terrible road trip as well. 3/8 points, and absolute failures against teams above us in the standings. The next 7 games might be even worse. we might be losing 6 of 7 as well.

The thing about this team is, you never know what you're gonna get on any given night or stretch. We all thought they were toast after that crap west coast stint, and then they went on a run. It's certainly uncomfortable being a fan this season, but it wouldn't surprise me if they went on another run (and then went into another funk afterwards).

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I am really a bit confused as to what Lou is thinking. He has made changes for less, and tonight is a pattern, not a one off....i'm in on just about anyone.
Team has responded to Lambert, the defensive play is bad a lot of the times with really bad coverage in high danger areas. The PK also hasn’t helped, how much will getting Pelech back and hopefully eventually Pulock too help? I’m guessing they hope it helps alot.

Reactions: Potvottier

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The thing about this team is, you never know what you're gonna get on any given night or stretch. We all thought they were toast after that crap west coast stint, and then they went on a run. It's certainly uncomfortable being a fan this season, but it wouldn't surprise me if they went on another run (and then went into another funk afterwards).
Its the stretch of "oh god its all the teams we suck against" coming up. Vancouver, Nashville, Minnesota, and Toronto all in that stretch. I hope we can beat the Predators and Canucks but its unlikely.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
He’s just old and in his twilight. It is what it is. I just hope they don’t use the Pelech Pulock excuse because the team went on that point streak and run without them
Pelech is their best defender, top of his game he’s probably too 10 in league just as a defender. Getting him and Pulock and being able to put them together on top of that has to be the hope that’s going to push this team into playoffs.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Pelech is their best defender, top of his game he’s probably too 10 in league just as a defender. Getting him and Pulock and being able to put them together on top of that has to be the hope that’s going to push this team into playoffs.
I do not care how many top 10 defensemen you put into a crap, passive minded defensive scheme, you still end up with a crap defense....but hell, what do i know, just been watching hockey for 40+ years. :)

Reactions: MarsTBOW and SI90

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I do not care how many top 10 defensemen you put into a crap, passive minded defensive scheme, you still end up with a crap defense....but hell, what do i know, just been watching hockey for 40+ years. :)
The system isn’t designed to allow what they allow, they take more chance offensively which is why they are scoring more but you can’t tell me that Pelech and Pulock playing over Aho and Bolduc isn’t going improve it. The group needs to clean it up including forwards, they need to get the PK cleaned up also.

It ain't gonna be easy, that's for sure.
It’s not going to be easy, we are going to be at game 80 and still fighting five or six teams for three spots.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
So he comes in as number 7/8 what about Aho? Lou messed up this offseason plain and simple
The Isles are in contention so I’m happy about that. The ascension of Dobson has been the key not only for this season but it gives me optimism for the future.

I’m in agreement that Lou’s plan sucked. Specifically, the Engvall and Mayfield terms were ill advised. He was negotiating against himself. I wasn’t a big fan of the Varly term either but I can live with that one. Add in 4 more years of Cizikas to that list. Casey has been a warrior but he’s a 20-25 point guy who is no longer a force on the PK and he’s barely above 50% on the dot.

It’s a mixed bag with the Isles now having a productive top line for the first time in a long time. With all that being said, Sorokin has been a disappointment. He’s the key to this team making the playoffs and advancing in the tournament.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Usually a loss in Vegas wouldn’t be too unexpected, but getting whooped by a struggling team that clearly brought their B Game doesn’t inspire much confidence.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Totally agree with numerous posters that having both Aho and Bolduc in the lineup is a challenge. I am sure the coach knows that it is not ideal, but the injuries have really hampered this team and are giving up a lot of rubber and high danger chances. Not having the ability to insert Varly to spell Sorokin some could be an issue.

The ripple effect is that this team's now duo of 24 year olds on the backend are starting to show some wear and tear. The Isles upcoming schedule is going to be tough as well and Pitt, NJD, and Wash are still on their heels. Could Salo get another look?

I know the Isles have a ton of bodies up front, but wonder if an ahl call up for a few games at some point is a possibility. Doubt that is what Lou would do. For those in the know, who would be a call up? Dufour, Ish???? Ish seems to have good vision, however, where would he fit in the lineup? Can't really see him playing center, and not sure he could survive on the wall in the big leagues. I really thought maybe Durandeau had a place on this team in the future.

Tough loss last night and I still felt the Isles could possibly salvage a point. Lee hitting the post, failure to win faceoff's on the PK and rough defensive coverage doomed them.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
With three minutes or so left in the second the Isles were the better team and I am not sure it wad even close. Not scoring on the Lee Horvat 2v1, any one of the 8 Engvall chances or coming out of the first really the story of the game. Mayfield unable to adequately defend on goal two was pathetic. A recurring issue with him abandoning the guy most likely to get a tap in. Typical Aho on goal three. Either picking himself or his stick up while everyone scrambles around him. Terrible decision to have him out there after a goal with 90 seconds or so left. He and Houda should not be"leaving Las Vegas". Challenge certainly could have gone our way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad