NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Post I responded to: NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

The title of the thread is "NHL TV ratings 2023-24." If you or others do not wish to see Canadian TV ratings, you can always create a "US-Only NHL ratings" thread.
Here’s the post you responded to

With tonight's game 6 and a potential game 7 on monday without an NBA game I wonder what's the record for all canadian game on cable¿?
It’s obviously US, as basketball isn’t out drawing hockey in Canada, especially with no Raptors.

Reactions: Reaser

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Post I responded to: NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

The title of the thread is "NHL TV ratings 2023-24." If you or others do not wish to see Canadian TV ratings, you can always create a "US-Only NHL ratings" thread.

Everyone, except you, understood with 100% clarity the question being asked.

You're comically wrong, embarrassingly wrong even. Over aggressively told me the question has already been answered trying to act big time when you have no clue what you're talking about. Then insanely accused me of moving goalposts. All because you lack basic and simple comprehension skills.

Why do you think the NBA was mentioned, you oblivious dolt.

FWIW, I have posted more Canadian TV ratings in this thread this season than anyone else, by far.

One of us contributes in a sane, accurate and respectable manner. The other one couldn't be more wrong and instead of admitting their mistake is going on the attack. Clown behavior.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Actually, you are the one who is incorrect. Perhaps you need glasses.

I said GAME 7 not game 6. in 2011. Game 7 drew 9.69 million viewers.

Also what on earth are you talking about? I was referring to the Toronto-Montreal game that reportedly drew 7.4 million viewers on Wikipedia. You are now going on about Game 6 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, which nobody ever mentioned.
Lmao dude you said leafs habs second most watched, and I corrected you.

Actually second most watched was 2011 as well, just game 6 of final.
The question was Canada’s numbers in US I thought, not Canada in Canada.
Who’s needs reading glasses now, your up to strike 5, give it up now.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Here’s the post you responded to

It’s obviously US, as basketball isn’t out drawing hockey in Canada, especially with no Raptors.
Once again, this is an NHL ratings thread. Believe it or not, many posters are interested in the Canadian viewing numbers, as well as American numbers. I'm not sure why you are so perturbed about someone posting Canadian numbers.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I was curious so I took a look at some other all-Canada games in the US:

2022 Edmonton @ Calgary R2 G5 - 1.169M

2021 Montreal @ Winnipeg R2 G4 - 868k
2021 Montreal @ Toronto R1 G7 - 507k (G5: 544k, G6: 534k)
2021 Edmonton @ Winnipeg R1 G4 - 308k (G3: 407k)

2015 Montreal @ Ottawa R1 G6 - 971k
2015 Vancouver @ Calgary R1 G6 - 444k

2013 Ottawa @ Montreal R1 G5 - 278k

It's interesting that the battle of Alberta beat out a Montreal-Toronto Game 7 in the United States. Does it show what networks the games were on?

So a 1.2M would do it at least for the modern era and it very posible even at 9PM east coast.
I'm predicting the Edmonton-Vancouver Game 7 rating will eclipse the 2022 number. It's on a Monday evening at the end of a long weekend, so it's certainly beneficial for the NHL.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's interesting that the battle of Alberta beat out a Montreal-Vancouver Game 7 in the United States. Does it show what networks the games were on?

I'm predicting the Edmonton-Vancouver Game 7 rating will eclipse the 2022 number. It's on a Monday evening at the end of a long weekend, so it's certainly beneficial for the NHL.
It’s not a long weekend in the States, (that’s important)

and in Canada not all provinces celebrate Victoria Day weekend, though if you work for the Feds you get if off, regardless of province.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
and in Canada not all provinces celebrate Victoria Day weekend, though if you work for the Feds you get if off, regardless of province.
One would think it would be time to get outside and go for a walk, if life revolves around critiquing a persons posts on an internet forum.

Nearly all people in Canada (93.5%) celebrate Monday (Victoria Day in English Canada), in some capacity.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
One would think it would be time to get outside and go for a walk, if life revolves around critiquing a persons posts on an internet forum.

Nearly all people in Canada (93.5%) celebrate Monday (Victoria Day in English Canada), in some capacity.
lol removes 20% of population by leaving out Quebec nice cherry pick.

Why would you remove the part about no holiday in the US, since that is viewship numbers we’re discussing.

There would be no critiquing if you’d post something correct for a change, like several other posters have brought up.

We’re done bro, as it’s become a waste of my time, doing the corrections.

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
I am thinking Edmonton/Vancouver will have 1.5 million viewers in the US with no NBA game on and 3.5 million viewers in Canada. 5 million total for North America. I could be wrong but throwing that prediction out there.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I am thinking Edmonton/Vancouver will have 1.5 million viewers in the US with no NBA game on and 3.5 million viewers in Canada. 5 million total for North America. I could be wrong but throwing that prediction out there.
Seems reasonable with no NBA or other NHL games on. Though a 9pm EST will hurt it a bit.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
So with the conference finals schedule out the NHL could get two games on ABC over one for the NBA and even one sunday at 3 which is probably the best slot for any non NFL sporting event very intrigued to see the ratings.

Reaser

May 19, 2021

Yup, I was asked yesterday and I said closer to 2.0M than 1.0M, meaning 1.501M+ ... It's not just that there's no NBA game.

note: I think lead-ins get overstated but they do matter, to an extent. Also, my default is that there's always 'competition' (something else on) but obviously there's degrees to that.

Tonight has the obviously popular Caitlin Clark as the lead-in on ESPN. So it's not a nothing lead-in. And then there's very little competition, nothing really major (NBA playoffs) happening H2H w/EDM-VAN. There's a handful of MLB regular season games, WWE overlaps and dependent on time zone for how much it overlaps, The Voice is on -- not sure how much crossover audience there is with that & Stanley Cup Playoffs/sports, ha! Just meaning to show that there's not a whole lot happening "on TV" tonight at that time, sports or otherwise, other than Oilers-Canucks.

So with the conference finals schedule out the NHL could get two games on ABC over one for the NBA and even one sunday at 3 which is probably the best slot for any non NFL sporting event very intrigued to see the ratings.

Sunday at 3pmET (3:30pmET is better and possible but close enough) is the best the NHL can hope for on ABC/OTA, at this point.

I know we just talked about it but for others. My longstanding belief for best time slot for Sunday sports on U.S. TV is start with 8pmET then subtract how long 'your' sport takes. So if games are over 3 hours (round up to 3 & a half) subtract 3 and a half from 8pmET and you get 4:30pmET -- NFL's premier Sunday slot is 4:25pmET, so explains that.

When the NBA was on NBC, and this was the peak of NBA on TV/OTA, they figured out 5:30pmET for the playoffs as their premier window on Sunday. That is the time slot when MJ's Bulls played and later the Shaq/Kobe Lakers got that slot. It worked so well they even started introducing the time slot into the regular season & moved Sunday conference final games to that slot. NBA games are roughly 2 and a half hours long, subtract that from 8pmET and you get 5:30pmET start.

So my belief has been, with NHL games over 2 and a half hours (round up to 3 hours/short pregame) 5pmET would be the premier Sunday U.S. time slot for the NHL. We'll never see that on ABC because they don't start sports that late (outside of championship games.) But I'd like to see the time slot someday just to see if it plays out as I expect it would.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Through the second round there's been 27 games that have had a truTV simulcast and the average of average viewership for the truTV portion of those simulcasts is 233k

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad