GDT: GDT #39 New York Islanders @ Vegas Golden Knights | January 6th | 10 PM | F/5-2 L

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
When he was re-signed to that deal did it bother you at the time?
Sorokin notwithstanding, this isn’t my favorite line of argument. If someone isn’t performing up to their salary, that’s that - doesn’t matter what the opinion was when it was signed.

Reactions: SI90

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Hard to win when the 8+ million dollar goalie allows 4-5 a night.
This is the truth right here. Sorokin has a good game with a shutout or allowing 1 goal once or twice every 5 games, But 3-4 times he allows 4-5 goals. When you are supposed to be the undisputed best player on the team that is not getting the job done.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Vegas is down
-Karlsson
-Theodore
-Hill
And we just made the Knights look great because our offense is struggling against the forecheck. I really hate to say this but the defense is so bad right now, that i have to forgive Sorokin's f***ups. They just pile on with games like this. Vegas is gonna murder this team. I can't help but wonder if Lamoriello has a panic move incoming

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Vegas is down
-Karlsson
-Theodore
-Hill
And we just made the Knights look great because our offense is struggling against the forecheck. I really hate to say this but the defense is so bad right now, that i have to forgive Sorokin's f***ups. They just pile on with games like this. Vegas is gonna murder this team. I can't help but wonder if Lamoriello has a panic move incoming
Allowing 5 goals on 25 shots is not all on the defense. Most of those goals were unscreened shots with no deflections.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
This is the truth right here. Sorokin has a good game with a shutout or allowing 1 goal once or twice every 5 games, But 3-4 times he allows 4-5 goals. When you are supposed to be the undisputed best player on the team that is not getting the job done.
On a team that is coached not to play defense.....guess what really needs to change.

BalButtercluck

Nov 22, 2017
Long Island
Sorokin has not been the Ilya we have known for the last 3 years, that is 100% for sure.

But he is not the problem. The coaching and defensive scheme is the problem. I guarantee you if Lane goes back to his more defense oriented approach we had when we were down barzal the last 30 games of last year, or if Trotz is coaching this team, Ilya is in the Vezina race.

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Allowing 5 goals on 25 shots is not all on the defense. Most of those goals were unscreened shots with no deflections.
Thats still terrible from the defense as much as its from Ilya.

I will give Ilya shit for some of this but this game lies on awful play on the boards. This is not the Coyotes man, this is Vegas IN VEGAS

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sorokin notwithstanding, this isn’t my favorite line of argument. If someone isn’t performing up to their salary, that’s that - doesn’t matter what the opinion was when it was signed.
That’s fair but there also needs to be context. Hes a legit franchise goalie who’s having an inconsistent year but his elite play still shows up for us. It needs to be more often for sure but on the list of isles problems he’s far from near the top. Team is completely lost defensively. Sometimes your goalie needs to bailout your defense but your defense needs to help out your goalie too.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Can you defend Engvall or Mayfield for 7 years when they are replacement level players?

I welcome the hyperbole from you. At least it's a different tune.

I never said you were right or wrong. All I said was that's all you ever f***ing say. Every game we're reminded how long those two players have left on their deals is if we don't already know, and as if endlessly repeating yourself is going to magically undo the deals. We get it, you're not a fan.

Reactions: xECK29x

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
On a team that is coached not to play defense.....guess what really needs to change.
Disagree. This team is regularly scoring 3 ore more goals per games. Asking the supposed best goalie in the league to allow less than 3 goals more often that not is not outrageous expectations.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
This has nothing to do with Sorokin. His confidence is completely shot with absolutely stupid defensive system they're playing.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I welcome the hyperbole from you. At least it's a different tune.

I never said you were right or wrong. All I said was that's all you ever f***ing say. Every game we're reminded how long those two players have left on their deals is if we don't already know, and as if endlessly repeating yourself is going to magically undo the deals. We get it, you're not a fan.
No other team in the league signs players of that caliber to 7 year deals. 3 years is a stretch for those guys for the rest of the league

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Vancouver

Toronto

Nashville

Winnipeg

Minnesota

Chicago

Buckle up, this is where we find out how good Lamoriello is at managing this team

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
That’s fair but there also needs to be context. Hes a legit franchise goalie who’s having an inconsistent year but his elite play still shows up for us. It needs to be more often for sure but on the list of isles problems he’s far from near the top. Team is completely lost defensively. Sometimes your goalie needs to bailout your defense but your defense needs to help out your goalie too.
Yes this has been going on all year. They are leaving their goaltender out to dry. Enough with this basketball defense. Get back to basics. Stop them along the boards. Open ice hits. Stand them up at the blueline. Basics.

Reactions: SI90

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This has nothing to do with Sorokin. His confidence is completely shot with absolutely stupid defensive system they're playing.
Again disagree. With the way he is playing this year the team needs to score at least 3-4 goals per game to win. The whole point of having the supposed best goalie in the league is that he should bail you out from time to time. The Isles should be able to play more of an offensive system like other teams and know the goalie will back them up. Sorokin has not done that. When you have the best goalie in the league you shouldnt have to play more defensive to help him out. That makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad