Confirmed with Link: Gaudreau's teammate Kevin Hayes Won't Sign in Chicago (Update: Signed with NYR)

JulianHopper*

I like Hanowski. Every Heat game I watched this year I caught myswlf thinking "that guy looks good" and every time it ended up being Hanowski.

In 11 games played for the Flames this season he never once got over 10 minutes in a game.

Kenny Agostino in 8 games played got well over 10 minutes in 6 games.

Bryce Van Brabant twice in 6 games played over 10 minutes.

Gives you a bit of an idea of how these players perform at the NHL level. The biggest issue with Ben Hanowski is his skating, he has to improve for sure.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
-If he leaves without a trade they get pick 54 in the draft so they have no reason to trade him for anything less than that.

-If he gets traded to us we need to take a risk that he's not holding out for Florida/Boston.

-This draft year is incredibly unpredictable and we could see guys like Virtanen/Ho Sang go from 10 to falling out of the first round and we'll want our pick 34.

At best I think we can offer the Av's 2nd (likely 55th overall) + Cundari (I can't see him being better than Billins&Kulak&Culkin) which the Hawks may say no to.
don't forget that the 54th pick the Hawks will receive is in 2015 since he will not technically go unsigned until after the 2014 draft.

So that 54th pick in 2015 would be more like what 40th this year?

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
don't forget that the 54th pick the Hawks will receive is in 2015 since he will not technically go unsigned until after the 2014 draft.

So that 54th pick in 2015 would be more like what 40th this year?

ah that's true, for an org like Chicago they are probably best off letting him walk in that case.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
ah that's true, for an org like Chicago they are probably best off letting him walk in that case.
having a pair of 2nd round pics that close together can also be a great asset in moving up in the draft too

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
having a pair of 2nd round pics that close together can also be a great asset in moving up in the draft too

It can be and Burke I'm sure would love to talk to his scouts and see if he can get an almost certain NHLer at 25-30 rather than 2 maybe NHL players with high potential at 34 and 55.

Might be better for us if we talk to Chicago during the 2nd round of the draft and see if there is a player they need the pick for and are willing to get low-balled to make that deal happen.

Last edited:

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
In 11 games played for the Flames this season he never once got over 10 minutes in a game.

Kenny Agostino in 8 games played got well over 10 minutes in 6 games.

Bryce Van Brabant twice in 6 games played over 10 minutes.

Gives you a bit of an idea of how these players perform at the NHL level. The biggest issue with Ben Hanowski is his skating, he has to improve for sure.

This,if you cannot skate you vastly decrease your odds on making it to the show.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Why would Chicago want Hanowski or Cundari when they could get a 2nd rounder in 2015 by letting him walk? Hanowski and Cundari have almost zero potential to be NHL regulars.

No, it's not likely they would want either player, but that just means there's no deal to be made because that should be the absolute most the Flames offer up.

At most, Hanowski and Cundari could provide Chicago with cheap depth call ups in cases of injury and AHL fodder.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This,if you cannot skate you vastly decrease your odds on making it to the show.
Except Hanowski's skating has improved quite a bit and if you paid attention to him you would have seen him beating guys back defensively and winning races for the puck. Hanowski was playing checking minutes because they are trying to develop him as a checking forward. The Flames know where he is, they know where they want him to be. With Agostino they want to see what he has and what he could develop to be, that is why there is a difference in ice-time.

Using time on ice to prove anything is utter nonsense, I am surprised you actually agreed with that garbage.

JulianHopper*

No, it's not likely they would want either player, but that just means there's no deal to be made because that should be the absolute most the Flames offer up.

At most, Hanowski and Cundari could provide Chicago with cheap depth call ups in cases of injury and AHL fodder.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Flames didn't keep Mark Cundari though. He has good agility and quickness even though he's a bit smaller player. Chad Billins is not that much bigger.

If they don't re-sign Chris Butler who's a UFA and Christopher Breen a RFA, Cundari could have a chance to play for the Flames next season.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Except Hanowski's skating has improved quite a bit and if you paid attention to him you would have seen him beating guys back defensively and winning races for the puck. Hanowski was playing checking minutes because they are trying to develop him as a checking forward. The Flames know where he is, they know where they want him to be. With Agostino they want to see what he has and what he could develop to be, that is why there is a difference in ice-time.

Using time on ice to prove anything is utter nonsense, I am surprised you actually agreed with that garbage.

Why do you always gotta put a slight in every time someone disagrees with you? I was talking about skating, not about the minutes.

Sure, he's improved in skating, but from what I've seen, he still has a lot of work to do. With all the players the Flames have in the system now, he may very well be the odd man out and may be traded.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why do you always gotta put a slight in every time someone disagrees with you? I was talking about skating, not about the minutes.

Sure, he's improved in skating, but from what I've seen, he still has a lot of work to do. With all the players the Flames have in the system now, he may very well be the odd man out and may be traded.
You also agreed with what Julian said about ice-time as indicted with starting with saying "this".

JulianHopper*

And yet I didn't elaborate on that, so yeah.

Either way, I was talking about the skating so the rest is irrelevant.

I'll stick with and trust coach Hartley with who he gives ice time and thinks are the better players, stats speak for themselves.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012

I agree with this 100% his skating is actually brutal at the NHL, and he is the odd man out.

STOP TRYING TO ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR BOYS IN THE AHL!

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

As it stands right now hanowski's skating is not good enough to be an effective NHLer. Maybe he can change that, but I'm not overly impressed with anything he does. I would easily offer him up in a trade if it brought a quality return.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As it stands right now hanowski's skating is not good enough to be an effective NHLer. Maybe he can change that, but I'm not overly impressed with anything he does. I would easily offer him up in a trade if it brought a quality return.

Hey everyone, Gnome is back from the dead.

I don't mind Hanowski, however I feel he may be one of the ones lost in mix of all the new prospects we have coming, similar to what happened with Nemo. Seems like a good kid, I think he absolutely has NHL potential, but I don't feel it'll be with the Flames.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Chicago has a ton of better options already for those roles.

They let Pirri go for a couple draft picks a little while ago as they couldn't find room for him. Chicago would much rather have the draft pick (likely in 2015) as it helps spread out their prospects to a time when they may have a greater need for them.

Quantity of marginal prospects would have zero appeal to them.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Hey everyone, Gnome is back from the dead.

I don't mind Hanowski, however I feel he may be one of the ones lost in mix of all the new prospects we have coming, similar to what happened with Nemo. Seems like a good kid, I think he absolutely has NHL potential, but I don't feel it'll be with the Flames.

Haha, I've been reading quite often still. Just haven't felt like posting lately...until now, weird. Hope the baby is doing well :)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Haha, I've been reading quite often still. Just haven't felt like posting lately...until now, weird. Hope the baby is doing well :)

Thanks man, she's doing great. I had no idea I'd enjoy being a Dad as much as I have. Kids are a blast.

You should keep continuing to post, you offer a lot of good contributions. :yo:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Woah you're alive!

Anyway, I agree with the consensus that if Hanowski is going to be an NHL player, his skating needs to take a couple steps forward. So far at the NHL level he hasn't really proven to excel at any one set of particular skills. Which means if hes going to try and be the 'all around checking forward' the Flames are trying to mold him into, hes got to at least get his skating up to an average level. Even then, I would still say odds are against him becoming an NHL regular.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. He has very strong ties to the Panthers with DT, Jimmy and he's good friends with Brandon Pirri who's already chirping to him on twitter hinting #cats :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad