Confirmed with Link: Gaudreau's teammate Kevin Hayes Won't Sign in Chicago (Update: Signed with NYR)

reign of fire

Jan 23, 2004
I'm sure in his mind it's between and Panthers. I would take our chances in FA for sure.

Let's flip this over just for discussion.
Would FLA trade us their 1st round pick this year for a signed JG and BA?
Then they can have the trio instead of us and we get Ekblad

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Let's flip this over just for discussion.
Would FLA trade us their 1st round pick this year for a signed JG and BA?
Then they can have the trio instead of us and we get Ekblad

I don't think you can trade Gaudreau after the commitment our organization has shown him. That's really bad PR to players around the league.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
The Flames should absolutely pursue this kid. Having too many prospects is NOT a problem. If we go through our prospect pool and find players that fit certain positions perfectly (throughout the lineup) then we will become the most dominant team in the NHL. Big RWs like Hayes are hard to come by (especially when they have soft hands like him). A 1-2-3 punch of Poirier-Colborne-Hayes on the RW for the top 9 sounds pretty ****ing good to me in the future. I doubt Arnold will make it past the 3rd line, but it means that he'll probably just get to play with Hayes more. A Reinhart-Arnold-Hayes 3rd line would be pretty hard to beat defensively.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I wouldn't move either Ferland or Kulak for Hayes, let alone add a 3rd round pick. But if the Blackhawks are interested in a quantity for quality type deal, e.g. Cundari, Hanowski and a late pick, then sure.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wouldn't move either Ferland or Kulak for Hayes, let alone add a 3rd round pick. But if the Blackhawks are interested in a quantity for quality type deal, e.g. Cundari, Hanowski and a late pick, then sure.

Actually the Hawks may have real interest in Cundari being how well he's played for their AHL team, great idea.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
As a BC season ticket holder, I was skeptical of Hayes his first two years but he really took a step forward last year before suffering a season ending injury. This year, he put it all together and it wasn't just because he played on a line with Gaudreau. Hayes has great vision/playmaking ability and he protects the puck extremely well. The one area he needed to improve the most was being more aggressive/shooting more/looking to score rather than always set someone else up. He finally did that this past year. Very intriguing prospect IMO. Can play both center and wing.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I don't want to deal Cumdari. Rather, Hanowski, Roy or Gilmour, 2015 4th or 5th. If that doesn't work than sign him. He'll probably sign one of 3 places
BOSTON: Born in Boston, played college at Boston
CALGARY: JG and Arnold
FLORIDA: His brother Jimmy Hayes

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sign for nothing or don't touch him.

Agreed, but think of this. If Cundari is not in the long term plans and Burke already thinks he is not going to resign him, and Hankowski is thought of only being a 4th liner or expendable because of organizational depth, then it makes sense to clear 2 contracts to fill a hole and give us a greater window to sign Hayes. Personally I wouldn't blink at dealing Cundari and Hanowski for Hayes, and the Hawks may really like Gio Jr based on his performance for them.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Agreed, but think of this. If Cundari is not in the long term plans and Burke already thinks he is not going to resign him, and Hankowski is thought of only being a 4th liner or expendable because of organizational depth, then it makes sense to clear 2 contracts to fill a hole and give us a greater window to sign Hayes. Personally I wouldn't blink at dealing Cundari and Hanowski for Hayes, and the Hawks may really like Gio Jr based on his performance for them.

Exactly. With so many guys pressing for spots, moving Cundari and Hanowski wouldn't be any kind of real loss.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I would agree with this. Nothing is plus or minus equivalent to guys like Cundari or Hano.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

Zero chance the Hawks want a "quantity" deal, considering they have a pretty stocked prospect base.

They would more like want to trade quantity for quality.

Kayes is likely not signing with Chicago due to their depth preventing him from getting much of a chance.

Last edited:

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Why would Chicago want Hanowski or Cundari when they could get a 2nd rounder in 2015 by letting him walk? Hanowski and Cundari have almost zero potential to be NHL regulars.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would agree with this. Nothing is plus or minus equivalent to guys like Cundari or Hano.
I get really tired of ignorant ******** like this. A guys watches a player a handful of times and thinks he knows everything about the players but doesn't take the time to consider anything to do with their development path

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I get really tired of ignorant ******** like this. A guys watches a player a handful of times and thinks he knows everything about the players but doesn't take the time to consider anything to do with their development path

Well, they're both older guys, so they should be noticeably further along in their development than the other prospects. I realize you watch a lot more of them than most of us; would you say that either of them has really shown himself to be ahead of the Flames' younger prospects?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, they're both older guys, so they should be noticeably further along in their development than the other prospects. I realize you watch a lot more of them than most of us; would you say that either of them has really shown himself to be ahead of the Flames' younger prospects?
I could care less about Cundari as he is likely gone come July 1st, but Hanowski is much much better than people give him credit for. He's undergoing a transformation as a player and being taught to use his size effectively. He's one of the few big bodies we have that can play on the right side. His hockey sense and hands are also much better than most prospects. But people take his 6 minutes a game and complain he wasn't impressive, but of course he wasn't impressive he played 6 minutes a night in a role that is new to him

May 27, 2012
Earth
I could care less about Cundari as he is likely gone come July 1st, but Hanowski is much much better than people give him credit for. He's undergoing a transformation as a player and being taught to use his size effectively. He's one of the few big bodies we have that can play on the right side. His hockey sense and hands are also much better than most prospects. But people take his 6 minutes a game and complain he wasn't impressive, but of course he wasn't impressive he played 6 minutes a night in a role that is new to him

Well said AH.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I like Hanowski. Every Heat game I watched this year I caught myswlf thinking "that guy looks good" and every time it ended up being Hanowski.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
-If he leaves without a trade they get pick 54 in the draft so they have no reason to trade him for anything less than that.

-If he gets traded to us we need to take a risk that he's not holding out for Florida/Boston.

-This draft year is incredibly unpredictable and we could see guys like Virtanen/Ho Sang go from 10 to falling out of the first round and we'll want our pick 34.

At best I think we can offer the Av's 2nd (likely 55th overall) + Cundari (I can't see him being better than Billins&Kulak&Culkin) which the Hawks may say no to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad