Speculation: Gaudreau seeking $8M annually on new deal with Flames -- Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
In the open market sure he's worth 7.5-8 mil but he's not on the open market.

Is the similar situation with a 10.2(c) RFA demanding top dollar? You can't really compare numbers with other rfa's who aren't in the same classification.

I can see a Bridge deal or 6 or 7 year deal with no ntc or nmc but I don't know enough to put a number on it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

when_someone_is_wrong.gif

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
In the open market sure he's worth 7.5-8 mil but he's not on the open market.

Is the similar situation with a 10.2(c) RFA demanding top dollar? You can't really compare numbers with other rfa's who aren't in the same classification.

I can see a Bridge deal or 6 or 7 year deal with no ntc or nmc but I don't know enough to put a number on it.

A NTC/NMC couldn't kick in for 5 more years. Since they can't be there until the player becomes a UFA. So it's not like on a 6-7 year deal that it would mean or be worth much.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Who was the last team to win the cup without an elite #1 center?

Ducks in 2007
Devils in 2003
The Devils were 2 wins away in 2012 with Zajac as their #1. If Kovy didn't get hurt I think they could have beaten LA.

I also wouldn't say the Bruins had a true elite #1 center in 2011. Bergeron and Krejci were both great players but I don't think they were elite #1 centers at the time.

Point is, you can win without a top 10 center

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if Gaudreau was trying to negotiate a 6 year deal with an NMC in the final year, similar to the deals that Kane and Stamkos signed after their ELC's. The Flames are very against NMCs, so that could be a big sticking point. This deal would bring him to UFA at 29, so he can get one more big money 8 year contract.

The Flames, with their leverage, likely want an 8 year deal, with no restrictive clauses.

Both parties probably want their contract to be at the same AAV, likely in the 7-7.5 million range.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ducks in 2007
Devils in 2003
The Devils were 2 wins away in 2012 with Zajac as their #1. If Kovy didn't get hurt I think they could have beaten LA.

I also wouldn't say the Bruins had a true elite #1 center in 2011. Bergeron and Krejci were both great players but I don't think they were elite #1 centers at the time.

True, but every cup winner in the last decade+ has had either a #1C or a #1D. They usually have both, but never have neither. I.e. Carolina in 2006 no #1D, Pitts in 2009 (debatable, Gonchar was declining and was hardly a #1 anymore, and Letang sure wasn't one yet).

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Ducks in 2007
Devils in 2003

The 2012 Devils are irrelevant because they lost.

Bergeron was for sure, Krejci was very close to as well.

The 2007 Ducks had 2 Hall of fame defenders to make up for that, not to mention Andy McDonald had 78 points and was great defensively. Definitely an elite season at the very least.

And Scott Stevens and Martin Brodeur. Enough said.

Even including that you have 2 examples in 13 years.

The point is, it certainly wasnt elite wingers winning them those cups.

Last edited:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
True, but every cup winner in the last decade+ has had either a #1C or a #1D. They usually have both, but never have neither. I.e. Carolina in 2006 no #1D, Pitts in 2009 (debatable, Gonchar was declining and was hardly a #1 anymore, and Letang sure wasn't one yet).

I guess it's a good thing Calgary has two number one defensemen then.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The Devils are irrelevant because they lost.

Bergeron was for sure, Krejci was very close to as well.

The 2007 Ducks had 2 Hall of fame defenders to make up for that, not to mention Andy McDonald had 78 points and was great defensively. Definitely an elite season at the very least.

Even including that you have 2 examples in 13 years.

I'd say the data set looks the way it does is because most great forwards tend to be centers. Since there are a lower number of high scoring wingers than high scoring centers, you tend to see more cup teams with elite centers. In general I think we attribute too much team success to an individual player or even position.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I guess it's a good thing Calgary has two number one defensemen then.

Gio will be long past his prime when Calgary's contending, and Brodie is on the very low end of #1D. That forward depth still looks very ugly, especially without Gaudreau. Easily the worst forward lineup in the league if Gaudreau isn't in it.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Gio will be long past his prime when Calgary's contending, and Brodie is on the very low end of #1D. That forward depth still looks very ugly, especially without Gaudreau. Easily the worst forward lineup in the league if Gaudreau isn't in it.

Brodie was better than gio last season.

I'd say Carolina has us beat on the trash forwards, but it's not like I came here saying 'woah we have sooo much depth'

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yeah, but none of that has improved from last season, personnel wise.

Coach certainly did. Goalie did. By far. Either way, I didn't say it has. I haven't said we are making the playoffs. I said we have two number one dmen.

Why are oiler fans coming to a Gaudreau thread to talk ****, like the oilers have been so vastly successful lately?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Ducks in 2007
Devils in 2003

Thanks, I haven't had a good laugh like that in a while. Nobody was beating that 2012 Kings team.

And while you don't need an elite center to win the cup, more often than not the cup winner has at least 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad