Gary Bettman talks an Olympics dis, expansion rumors and whether we're going to see another lockout

SunDancer

Jan 4, 2015
on the Range
There should have been 4 teams down south: Houston, Atlanta, dallas, Miami. The NHL went to college towns rather then focus on Atlanta and Houston. Carolina is nice but they will never have the same impact a good Atlanta or Houston team would, or when Dallas won the cup.
Big markets sound appealing but the NHL has not done well in places like Phoenix, Atlanta or Miami. These large, crowded sports markets with transient populations are a challenge even for the Big 3, let alone the NHL. With successful clubs in cities like Tampa and Nashville (and Vegas by the looks of it), there's something to be said about being the big fish in a little pond.

Reactions: Llama19

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Big markets sound appealing but the NHL has not done well in places like Phoenix, Atlanta or Miami. These large, crowded sports markets with transient populations are a challenge even for the Big 3, let alone the NHL. With successful clubs in cities like Tampa and Nashville (and Vegas by the looks of it), there's something to be said about being the big fish in a little pond.
But it does not grow the game as much.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
There should have been 4 teams down south: Houston, Atlanta, dallas, Miami. The NHL went to college towns rather then focus on Atlanta and Houston. Carolina is nice but they will never have the same impact a good Atlanta or Houston team would, or when Dallas won the cup. With ESPN, I would point to the hole on their winter schedule. If they had the NHL right now it would be way more content for them, and the game on ABC on Sunday. Wednesday and Saturday would help the NHL expand quickly. ESPN was the weak sister, especially with the problems they have. And with that larger TV contract, I would have a soft cap. As long as revenue sharing works properly, a soft cap works. Because of a mediocre TV contract and lack of revenue sharing, we need a had cap. Its bad business for promotion of talent and the sport with all that roster turnover.

I'm assuming you are only talking about potential in markets vs the markets themselves. Atlanta lost a team for a second time & is generally a bad sports town. Plus, they did have a decent to good team & it still wasn't supported. Miami is a bad sports town. Tampa has been a success story, so not sure why you are getting rid of them to favor Miami. Dallas was a relocation, so it wasn't an expansion. Houston I agree with.

ESPN just switches from football to basketball, both pro & college once the Super Bowl is over. Not really seeing the hole you speak of & the current train wreck that is ESPN doesn't make your case. ABC having a game per week is no different than NBC doing the same. And under what circumstances does ABC/ESPN pay more money? Perhaps the league saw the writing on the wall back in 2005. Plus, NBC had a huge hole in programming which the NHL helped to fill.

Why so much support for a soft cap? From a fan's perspective, this is the worst thing possible...

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I'm assuming you are only talking about potential in markets vs the markets themselves. Atlanta lost a team for a second time & is generally a bad sports town. Plus, they did have a decent to good team & it still wasn't supported. Miami is a bad sports town. Tampa has been a success story, so not sure why you are getting rid of them to favor Miami. Dallas was a relocation, so it wasn't an expansion. Houston I agree with.

ESPN just switches from football to basketball, both pro & college once the Super Bowl is over. Not really seeing the hole you speak of & the current train wreck that is ESPN doesn't make your case. ABC having a game per week is no different than NBC doing the same. And under what circumstances does ABC/ESPN pay more money? Perhaps the league saw the writing on the wall back in 2005. Plus, NBC had a huge hole in programming which the NHL helped to fill.

Why so much support for a soft cap? From a fan's perspective, this is the worst thing possible...
Not getting rid of Tampa, just saying Miami should have gone first. Those 4 are the core of the south. I'm talking both, and I think the NHL management is why Atlanta failed. The stars should have stayed in Bloommington and Dallas gets the wild later if we want to be politically correct, but I just feel southern expansion should have been done much better. ESPN doesn't show all of the basketball games, most of them are local just like the NHL. There's support for the soft cap because people want to see dynasities and bigger markets bring bigger ratings. Plus why force players to live somewhere they don't like just to get paid more. If people don't want to live in Buffalo, there is a reason for that. Census trends point out why.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Not getting rid of Tampa, just saying Miami should have gone first. Those 4 are the core of the south. I'm talking both, and I think the NHL management is why Atlanta failed. The stars should have stayed in Bloommington and Dallas gets the wild later if we want to be politically correct, but I just feel southern expansion should have been done much better. ESPN doesn't show all of the basketball games, most of them are local just like the NHL. There's support for the soft cap because people want to see dynasities and bigger markets bring bigger ratings. Plus why force players to live somewhere they don't like just to get paid more. If people don't want to live in Buffalo, there is a reason for that. Census trends point out why.

Atlanta failed because their ownership didn't want them. Not sure what the league could have done. Minnesota moved under the existing ownership which as we've seen in other leagues is impossible to stop.

There hasn't been an NHL dynasty since 1990 & I don't see this support you speak of. Pens have won 3 Cups in the past 9 years & there is plenty of Pens hate (same with the Hawks). What people want to see is competitive hockey which we see every playoff.

As far as the players go, I don't really care. Like all pampered pro athletes they are ridiculously compensated no matter where they play. I feel no sympathy. They can always choose a different profession.

We are not going back to the days when only 4-6 teams could hoard talent & the rest of the league was told to suck it up. The hard cap is a permanent fixture.

Still waiting on how ESPN gives the NHL more money....

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Atlanta failed because their ownership didn't want them. Not sure what the league could have done. Minnesota moved under the existing ownership which as we've seen in other leagues is impossible to stop.

There hasn't been an NHL dynasty since 1990 & I don't see this support you speak of. Pens have won 3 Cups in the past 9 years & there is plenty of Pens hate (same with the Hawks). What people want to see is competitive hockey which we see every playoff.

As far as the players go, I don't really care. Like all pampered pro athletes they are ridiculously compensated no matter where they play. I feel no sympathy. They can always choose a different profession.

We are not going back to the days when only 4-6 teams could hoard talent & the rest of the league was told to suck it up. The hard cap is a permanent fixture.

Still waiting on how ESPN gives the NHL more money....
We'll see. I think if teams like the leafs want to keep their players and have a dynasty, there will be some noise. People have a right to choose their job and live where they want. If your city isn't up to par for them, then that is a munnicipal issue and you should figure out why people want to be in NYC, Chicago, LA, Boston, DC, SF or other big markets. Not just pro sports. ESPN gives the NHL more exposure, which is more money. At the end of the day, pro sports is a business. The goal is not always to win, it's to make money.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
We'll see. I think if teams like the leafs want to keep their players and have a dynasty, there will be some noise. People have a right to choose their job and live where they want. If your city isn't up to par for them, then that is a munnicipal issue and you should figure out why people want to be in NYC, Chicago, LA, Boston, DC, SF or other big markets. Not just pro sports. ESPN gives the NHL more exposure, which is more money. At the end of the day, pro sports is a business. The goal is not always to win, it's to make money.

That ship has already sailed. The Leafs had their chance to do just that in the pre-cap days & didn't. Thing is, just because you spend a ton of money doesn't mean you win. It didn't work for the Rangers or Flyers either. You have to draft well & have good coaching. Plus, what makes you think that a bigger market is automatically better than a smaller market? A lot of the bigger markets are in high tax zones also. A player making $5M in NY but getting taxed at a 45% tax rate is worse off than a guy making $4M in Buffalo but getting taxed at only 25%....& we haven't even gotten into cost of living either.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
That ship has already sailed. The Leafs had their chance to do just that in the pre-cap days & didn't. Thing is, just because you spend a ton of money doesn't mean you win. It didn't work for the Rangers or Flyers either. You have to draft well & have good coaching. Plus, what makes you think that a bigger market is automatically better than a smaller market? A lot of the bigger markets are in high tax zones also. A player making $5M in NY but getting taxed at a 45% tax rate is worse off than a guy making $4M in Buffalo but getting taxed at only 25%....& we haven't even gotten into cost of living either.
The players said it, not me. The NHLPA surveys say it all. Plus, bigger endorsement opportunities and others things in places like Los Angeles and Toronto other places just don`t have. Also, if you know the Rangers and Flyers won`t win all the time, what is there to be afraid of getting rid of the cap?

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
The players said it, not me. The NHLPA surveys say it all. Plus, bigger endorsement opportunities and others things in places like Los Angeles and Toronto other places just don`t have. Also, if you know the Rangers and Flyers won`t win all the time, what is there to be afraid of getting rid of the cap?

Outside of 1994, they didn't win at all. And it's about having a competitive league. The owners want that.....& the fans as well....

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Outside of 1994, they didn't win at all. And it's about having a competitive league. The owners want that.....& the fans as well....
Only some of the owners and some of the fans want that. Some people understand that you can't really market parity after a while. The NFL is getting mediocre from every team being the same.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Only some of the owners and some of the fans want that. Some people understand that you can't really market parity after a while. The NFL is getting mediocre from every team being the same.

I'm not sure that the NFL's problems stem from the relative parity it has. I'm also not sure I agree that all NFL teams are similar enough to support your statement. I also think that the media will report any negative story it can to drive ratings, clicks, etc. My guess is that for the most part, the NFL's problems have been somewhat overstated by the media.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

If that were true, the owners would have pushed for a revocation of the cap last lockout. Actions speak....

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
I think we will see another lockout if that is the case & if a big chunk of the season is lost because of a lockout the NHL. is in big trouble considering most of the teams have not fully recovered from the last 2 lockouts & we could be seeing a lot of changes & relocations being done such as a new commissioner most likely someone from the outside that has good business sense , start cutting the dead weight & relocate the coyotes , panthers & hurricanes to stronger markets , add a 32nd expansion team to even the league out , get the NHL. players back in the Olympics & change there business & marketing strategy in the USA. because what they are doing now is not working considering the NHL. is one of the least followed sports leagues in the USA. .

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I think we will see another lockout if that is the case & if a big chunk of the season is lost because of a lockout the NHL. is in big trouble considering most of the teams have not fully recovered from the last 2 lockouts & we could be seeing a lot of changes & relocations being done such as a new commissioner most likely someone from the outside that has good business sense , start cutting the dead weight & relocate the coyotes , panthers & hurricanes to stronger markets , add a 32nd expansion team to even the league out , get the NHL. players back in the Olympics & change there business & marketing strategy in the USA. because what they are doing now is not working considering the NHL. is one of the least followed sports leagues in the USA. .

Cliff Notes summary: the NHL needs a team in Hamilton.

Reactions: Hoek and Killion

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
But it does not grow the game as much.

First of a;; people need to let go of the idea that the NHL "Doesn't work" in Miami or Phoenix. The Coyotes were doing JUST FINE until in one of the worst moves in pro sports history, they decide to cheap out and build an arena way out in the middle of nowhere.

To give this some context, Ottawa did the same thing and have ALWAYS had attendance issues because of it, even in the playoffs.

People are NOT willing to sit in an hour and a half traffic to see the Coyotes play the Hurricanes on a Tuesay night. Not in Phoenix not in CANADA,

Look at those few playoff appearences by the Yote's few years back, thier arena was ROCKING, and again for playoff tickets, they out-sell Ottawa.

For the play-offs the fans WERE willing to make the road-trip like trek to Glendale, those are GOOD fans

Teams NEED to have thier arenas in prime locations, so people can start off the night going to the game, then go to the club, catch the subway home, it's all about making the game experience PART of a fun night, you don't make people slog through misery to go to a game.

And FLA? They were VERY popular right off the bat, the hispanic population loved them as the neutral zone trapping 90's reminded them of soccer, then began a streak of incompitance that continues to this day.

Look at Vancouver, same problem with incompitance, sure, now Brock and Bo are saving them but the home opener in Vancouver this year was like a bomb-scare NOBODY was there

Honestly, I don't really know what keeps happening with ATL and why Bettman didn't make them stick it out, that's a big loss, especially with all the hip-hop guys who were becoming big hockey fans (Turns out black people DO like hockey, A LOT actually)

Bettman couldn't let Phoenix die because they need the presence to earn thier TV deal. That's why Bettman funded the team himself. You have to have a minimum of coverage.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017

Bring on the lockout,

Until the NHL takes control of it's business it wil just keep happening, they way they were beat up last time was embaressing,

They have to be ready to shut the leauge down for a few years......trust me, the players will crack, but you cannot have this stupid amount of revenue going to players, that's not how you run a business,
N.T.C and N.M.C have become a joke, THIRD LINERS get them now!

No two players should be able to make the % of cap that Kane and Toews do, it's complete BS

They have to put the greedy leeches in the NHLPA who would have KILLED the game dead in 2004 had they gotten thier way,

Thank god Trevor Linden (The true hero of that lock-out and the main reason we have the league as it is today, not that he'll ever get credit for it) The ONE person who was able to see reason

There is no longer a Linden in the NHLPA you have that Baseball shark, that union must be crushed

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017

People want to see dynasties?!?! No they don't, that's absoloute B.S

Unless YOUR team is winning the cup, fans want to see a new winner and new finalists every year

Why force players to live where they don't want to......are you for real? These are millioaires who play a recrrational game for a living, every NHL player should wake up every day and thank whatever they do or don't believe in from the bottom of thier hearts that they have more that 99.99999% of people on the planet,

That they should be allowed to bitch about where they live, or that they are even given NTC's is BS and has to stop, they are paid milllions, they need to SHUT UP AND BE GREATFUL

The NHLPA was formed at a time when owners really did screw players, that time has long since past and the NHLPA or any pro sports union is a revolting symbol of lazy, self-centered entitlement, people starve and these pricks throw tantrums over an extra couple of million (Not all of them, some like Malkin are awesome graetful people who give a lot of money away to people in dire need, Ovie is great, Yakapov is great....funny, it seems the Russians know how lucky they are, the North Americans are the entitled pigs.)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
First of a;; people need to let go of the idea that the NHL "Doesn't work" in Miami or Phoenix. The Coyotes were doing JUST FINE until in one of the worst moves in pro sports history, they decide to cheap out and build an arena way out in the middle of nowhere.

To give this some context, Ottawa did the same thing and have ALWAYS had attendance issues because of it, even in the playoffs.

People are NOT willing to sit in an hour and a half traffic to see the Coyotes play the Hurricanes on a Tuesay night. Not in Phoenix not in CANADA,

Look at those few playoff appearences by the Yote's few years back, thier arena was ROCKING, and again for playoff tickets, they out-sell Ottawa.

For the play-offs the fans WERE willing to make the road-trip like trek to Glendale, those are GOOD fans

Teams NEED to have thier arenas in prime locations, so people can start off the night going to the game, then go to the club, catch the subway home, it's all about making the game experience PART of a fun night, you don't make people slog through misery to go to a game.

And FLA? They were VERY popular right off the bat, the hispanic population loved them as the neutral zone trapping 90's reminded them of soccer, then began a streak of incompitance that continues to this day.

Look at Vancouver, same problem with incompitance, sure, now Brock and Bo are saving them but the home opener in Vancouver this year was like a bomb-scare NOBODY was there

Honestly, I don't really know what keeps happening with ATL and why Bettman didn't make them stick it out, that's a big loss, especially with all the hip-hop guys who were becoming big hockey fans (Turns out black people DO like hockey, A LOT actually)

Bettman couldn't let Phoenix die because they need the presence to earn thier TV deal. That's why Bettman funded the team himself. You have to have a minimum of coverage.
you are way off base on Arizona, it hasn't been Phoenix in years

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
you are way off base on Arizona, it hasn't been Phoenix in years

What?.... Whatd'you mean he's "way off base"?. The poster seems to have a pretty good grasp on the situation as outlined in his post, and aware of the fact that they moved from downtown Phoenix out to Glendale in 04. However, they didnt actually change their name from "Phoenix Coyotes" to "Arizona Coyotes" until 2013 and only did so at the behest of the City of Glendale. Common enough mistake for people to still refer to them as "the Phoenix Coyotes", I do itmyself sometimes, so why are you splitting hairs over such when its totally irrelevant to the point he's making HUTCH?. Ha? :laugh:

Now... lets get back on topic please; Olympics, Expansion, are we going to see another Lockout.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Expansion - Quebec City \ Seattle
Coyotes - Quebec City \ Seattle
Hurricanes - Houston
Panthers - Southern Ontario (Hamilton)

When the Vegas Golden Knights implode & they will once the Raiders & NBA. get there move the Golden Knights to Portland & fixing how they market the game in the USA .

See by doing this the NHL. can return to it's glory days as a top tier sports league instead of being one of the least popular sports in North American sport .

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Expansion - Quebec City \ Seattle
Coyotes - Quebec City \ Seattle
Hurricanes - Houston
Panthers - Southern Ontario (Hamilton)

When the Vegas Golden Knights implode & they will once the Raiders & NBA. get there move the Golden Knights to Portland & fixing how they market the game in the USA .

See by doing this the NHL. can return to it's glory days as a top tier sports league instead of being one of the least popular sports in North American sport .

.... :laugh: JMROWE?.... while your perfectly entitled to express your opinion here... not exactly "making friends" in Las Vegas, Arizona, North Carolina & South Florida huh?... Unbelievable...... How about instead... and the only real possibility I see as a Relocation is Arizona and the most likely destination being Houston.... Portland, as much as I'd love to see them in, not seeing it, not in the near term.

Dont see the Hurricanes moving, dont see Vegas cratering (quite the opposite, and I hope their a success) even with the arrival of the NFL & potentially NBA though could see, possibly Calgary departing & where they end up, open to question, but I sincerely hope it doesnt come to that.... which leaves nothing but EXPANSION as the way in through the door and yes, with the admittance of Seattle, Quebec City & Hamilton around 2021.

That I think is a far more likely possibility, scenario than the one you prescribe.... You know, its a terrible thing for a city to lose its team, not something a true hockey fan, all part of a "family" & community would wish on anyone regardless of what side of the border or market in which they play. These cousins of ours didnt pick their owners, just as we cant pick our siblings or parents, its not they themselves who are failing the game or the League, its their owners & the NHL that are failing them.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
.... :laugh: JMROWE?.... while your perfectly entitled to express your opinion here... not exactly "making friends" in Las Vegas, Arizona, North Carolina & South Florida huh?... Unbelievable...... How about instead... and the only real possibility I see as a Relocation is Arizona and the most likely destination being Houston.... Portland, as much as I'd love to see them in, not seeing it, not in the near term.

Dont see the Hurricanes moving, dont see Vegas cratering (quite the opposite, and I hope their a success) even with the arrival of the NFL & potentially NBA though could see, possibly Calgary departing & where they end up, open to question, but I sincerely hope it doesnt come to that.... which leaves nothing but EXPANSION as the way in through the door and yes, with the admittance of Seattle, Quebec City & Hamilton around 2021.

That I think is a far more likely possibility, scenario than the one you prescribe.... You know, its a terrible thing for a city to lose its team, not something a true hockey fan, all part of a "family" & community would wish on anyone regardless of what side of the border or market in which they play. These cousins of ours didnt pick their owners, just as we cant pick our siblings or parents, its not they themselves who are failing the game or the League, its their owners & the NHL that are failing them.
Hamilton is no longer a hockey market..... why would the Canadiens back out of that market and even Andlauer's reward is a OHL Franchise

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hamilton is no longer a hockey market..... why would the Canadiens back out of that market and even Andlauer's reward is a OHL Franchise

.... :laugh: is that right eh? According to Gary Bettman who admitted on the stand during the Moyes BK in Arizona Hamilton would very likely be a Top 5 Revenue Club. But ok HUTCH. "No longer a hockey market"..... Let me ax you somethin here.... how much sense does it make for the Habs to be dropping their top farm club into Southern Ontario in the first place? Isnt that Leafs & Sabres "territory"? Even for old guys living there who grew up with nothing but a steady diet of Leafs & then Leafs & Sabres games starting in 1970, you do realize Hamilton was actually "Red Wings Territory" for years with its Junior Team sponsorships, while in places like St. Catharines (Chicago), Kitchener/Waterloo (Rangers) & so on people related to, supported their Junior clubs NHL affiliates right?

So for multi-generational fans, like Father Like Son, a kid from the Hammer or anywhere else in SW Ontario as likely if not more likely to be a fan of the Rangers, Black Hawks, Red Wings, Bruins (Niagara Falls) and so on. There are other issues as well, with no love lost with a huge swath of people living outside of the 416 area code (Metro Toronto) and closer 905 residents in some cases. Like to kick them out of the Canadian Federation in fact. Separate, please... Made absolutely no sense for the Canadiens to be planting a flag in Hamilton, or for the Oilers to at one time doing so in Toronto with the old Roadrunners & so on. All kinds of examples of dumb thinking on that level. Cant see Vegas hanging on to the Chicago Wolves for long.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
.... :laugh: is that right eh? According to Gary Bettman who admitted on the stand during the Moyes BK in Arizona Hamilton would very likely be a Top 5 Revenue Club. But ok HUTCH. "No longer a hockey market"..... Let me ax you somethin here.... how much sense does it make for the Habs to be dropping their top farm club into Southern Ontario in the first place? Isnt that Leafs & Sabres "territory"? Even for old guys living there who grew up with nothing but a steady diet of Leafs & then Leafs & Sabres games starting in 1970, you do realize Hamilton was actually "Red Wings Territory" for years with its Junior Team sponsorships, while in places like St. Catharines (Chicago), Kitchener/Waterloo (Rangers) & so on people related to, supported their Junior clubs NHL affiliates right?

So for multi-generational fans, like Father Like Son, a kid from the Hammer or anywhere else in SW Ontario as likely if not more likely to be a fan of the Rangers, Black Hawks, Red Wings, Bruins (Niagara Falls) and so on. There are other issues as well, with no love lost with a huge swath of people living outside of the 416 area code (Metro Toronto) and closer 905 residents in some cases. Like to kick them out of the Canadian Federation in fact. Separate, please... Made absolutely no sense for the Canadiens to be planting a flag in Hamilton, or for the Oilers to at one time doing so in Toronto with the old Roadrunners & so on. All kinds of examples of dumb thinking on that level. Cant see Vegas hanging on to the Chicago Wolves for long.
ask the fans in Quebec City why they still do NOT have a franchise and turn their noses up AT ANY OTHER LEAGUE , including their own junior team in QC call it Leafs syndrome, K

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad