Seravalli: Garland on the trade block

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
The more you post on this topic the more you expose your lack of understanding.

Lack of understanding of what? Of Garland's skill? He is a good player. I'd love him on the Bruins. But he is not a game changer, he is not a top-line talent, and the return AZ would get for him is not going to be astronomical.

"bUt He iS tHe BeSt FoRwArd On oUr TeAm!" - yes, that's because your team isn't exactly filled with amazing players.

I watch the Coyotes more than any other team outside of the Bruins as a good friend of mine relocated to Tucson for work and we talk hockey primarily. So don't sit here telling me I have a lack of understanding of Garland.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
that's his stats for last year. for his career he's an ~.5 pts/game player and has yet to break 40 pts

Dude put up 2.37P/60 getting 14m last year. He was a lot better of a forechecker than most people in front of him, and of the people who he compares to (Kahun, Robby Thomas, Gusev, Gaudette, Kubalik) he generally had MUCH worse linemates. The year before that, when he was getting 12m of ice time, he put up 1.8P/60. Interestingly enough, Perreault and Joseph are pretty much the only players who had a similar %amount of TOI for their teams who put up more points.

By the way, 2.37P/60 puts him squarely in the same tier as Horvat, Giroux, ROR, Nelson, Marchessault etc. And that was when he was getting 14m of ice time. This year he improved to 2.6P/60 getting 17m, which puts him in squarely as the same tier as Zibanejad, Kessel, Boeser, ROR, Gaudreau, etc.

He might not be a bonafide 1st line forward. But he's very clearly at least a 2nd line forward even while getting SIGNIFICANTLY less TOI than most other forwards of his caliber. Also think it's funny that people always cherry pick the stat that the player has yet to hit, like 40 points when he put up 39. Oh no, 1 point, what a difference.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Lack of understanding of what? Of Garland's skill? He is a good player. I'd love him on the Bruins. But he is not a game changer, he is not a top-line talent, and the return AZ would get for him is not going to be astronomical.

"bUt He iS tHe BeSt FoRwArd On oUr TeAm!" - yes, that's because your team isn't exactly filled with amazing players.

I watch the Coyotes more than any other team outside of the Bruins as a good friend of mine relocated to Tucson for work and we talk hockey primarily. So don't sit here telling me I have a lack of understanding of Garland.

The fact that you claim to watch Coyotes games but think Garland isn't a game changer when he's routinely the best player on the ice for both teams and is often times the ONLY player driving the play and creating chances when we're getting tripled in shots is probably enough to show that you very clearly know nothing about Garland at all. There are literally like 2.5 game changing players on the Coyotes, one of them is inarguably Garland, one of them was and may still be Kuemper, and Chychrun is sometimes a game changer.

Reactions: AZviaNJ and rt

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
The fact that you claim to watch Coyotes games but think Garland isn't a game changer when he's routinely the best player on the ice for both teams and is often times the ONLY player driving the play and creating chances when we're getting tripled in shots is probably enough to show that you very clearly know nothing about Garland at all. There are literally like 2.5 game changing players on the Coyotes, one of them is inarguably Garland, one of them was and may still be Kuemper, and Chychrun is sometimes a game changer.

You are proving my point, so thank you for that. Not arguing his value to AZ. Not stating that he doesn't have skill or is a "run of the mill" player. I am arguing, however, that he is overrated by several in this thread.

This is my last post on the subject. If he gets traded - which I'd find pretty unlikely - we'll revisit when we find out what the return in.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Remember when the leafs traded for Phaneuf. Well this the Canucks trading for OEL.

2021 9th OVR
S. BEARTSCHI
Roussel
L. Eriksson
Lind
Juolevi

For
Garland
Ekman-Larsson

Ew. Lol

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Dude put up 2.37P/60 getting 14m last year. He was a lot better of a forechecker than most people in front of him, and of the people who he compares to (Kahun, Robby Thomas, Gusev, Gaudette, Kubalik) he generally had MUCH worse linemates. The year before that, when he was getting 12m of ice time, he put up 1.8P/60. Interestingly enough, Perreault and Joseph are pretty much the only players who had a similar %amount of TOI for their teams who put up more points.

By the way, 2.37P/60 puts him squarely in the same tier as Horvat, Giroux, ROR, Nelson, Marchessault etc. And that was when he was getting 14m of ice time. This year he improved to 2.6P/60 getting 17m, which puts him in squarely as the same tier as Zibanejad, Kessel, Boeser, ROR, Gaudreau, etc.

He might not be a bonafide 1st line forward. But he's very clearly at least a 2nd line forward even while getting SIGNIFICANTLY less TOI than most other forwards of his caliber. Also think it's funny that people always cherry pick the stat that the player has yet to hit, like 40 points when he put up 39. Oh no, 1 point, what a difference.
Garland is a 0.80 P/GP. The 39 pts. is playing only 49 games. You get it, most don't.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Dumb.

But if they are seriously trading him, they won’t get the value back some Coyote fans want or think (rightfully or wrongfully).

There’s just not enough of a track record of big time production with him, and he’s a diminutive winger who doesn’t play a premium position.

If people think a swap for someone like Jake DeBrusk is outrageous and not close then I don’t see what you expect in return.

This is all beside the main point of why the f*** is he being moved to begin with...

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
To say it in german:

Am Arsch wird der weggetraded.

Der bleibt schön hier in AZ.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You think this makes it better? The fact that your opinion is informed and is still this bad, makes it much worse.

Reactions: majormajor

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This is all beside the main point of why the f*** is he being moved to begin with...

exactly. if he is being moved, it is to cut costs to the bone, so look for an elc player or an rfa on a sub $2.5million deal plus a draft pick or prospect.

but more likely this is just his agent seeking the attention of armstrong. if they can move oel, they can sure afford to keep garland.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

All speculation. The media can't even determine what candidates are actually being interviewed for our HC. They, just like us fans have no idea what the internal discussions about Garland are. I'll be shocked if he's traded unless it's in a package for a better player. Bill Armstrong is looking for a HC, an AGM, getting ready for the expansion and amateur drafts and working on an OEL deal as well as having to get a contract with Garland done. Any wonder why it's taking some time? All we have now is speculation and posturing.
iu

Reactions: Jakey53

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
All speculation. The media can't even determine what candidates are actually being interviewed for our HC. They, just like us fans have no idea what the internal discussions about Garland are. I'll be shocked if he's traded unless it's in a package for a better player. Bill Armstrong is looking for a HC, an AGM, getting ready for the expansion and amateur drafts and working on an OEL deal as well as having to get a contract with Garland done. Any wonder why it's taking some time? All we have now is speculation and posturing.
iu

It is not speculation that Garland's agent sent over 2 contract proposals and has received zero reply or confirmation that the team even received his offers. Those are directly from the source. It isn't speculation that his agent is talking to the media and asserting a possible trade.

The only "speculation" is the quote from Servalli in the OP in which "this signals... they don't have interest in keeping him". Which yes, it certainly does.

Generally when a team wants to keep a core player they don't completely ghost him for months, leaving his agent frustrated enough to go talk publicly to the media. A lack of basic communication is disrespectful, at least it was clearly taken that way.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It is not speculation that Garland's agent sent over 2 contract proposals and has received zero reply or confirmation that the team even received his offers. Those are directly from the source. It isn't speculation that his agent is talking to the media and asserting a possible trade.

The only "speculation" is the quote from Servalli in the OP in which "this signals... they don't have interest in keeping him". Which yes, it certainly does.

Generally when a team wants to keep a core player they don't completely ghost him for months, leaving his agent frustrated enough to go talk publicly to the media. A lack of basic communication is disrespectful, at least it was clearly taken that way.
I think the message it sends is Seravalli will write whatever an agent wants in an article. Training camp a long ways away and given Garland is a RFA I don’t think his re-signing in AZ will be an issue.

Reactions: Kaizen and RemoAZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad