Seravalli: Garland on the trade block

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This one's tough for me to understand. Garland could very well be a highly valuable piece for any top-9 group for years to come. This seems like someone that Arizona should do everything in their power to keep, not trade away. In any case, though, I'm sure the Canes would love to have him, and they have a top-5 farm system to make a trade work, I think.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
This one's tough for me to understand. Garland could very well be a highly valuable piece for any top-9 group for years to come. This seems like someone that Arizona should do everything in their power to keep, not trade away. In any case, though, I'm sure the Canes would love to have him.
Not really. It makes perfect sense to trade him. This guy is fearless. Great player but he probably won't age all too well. And the next few years will be his prime. Yotes hopefully are smart enough to understand that they are not going anywhere the way the roster is constructed. Rebuilding and trading Garland in the process makes a ton of sense for them.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Garland is exactly what the Rangers need if they move on from Buchnevich.

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kakko
Panarin - Strome - Garland
Kreider - Chytil - Kravtsov
Barron - Rooney - Blackwell

See if Strome/Chytil/Kravtsov/Jones/Buchnevich/1st can get you an upgrade at 2C and on the 4th line.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Jets might be interested after the XD, but would depend on who we lose to Seattle, what the expected trade return is, and what his contract expectations are..

Last edited:
Reactions: untouchable21

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
This guy was dogged in the draft because of attitude issues or something that GMs don't like about him and now Arizona wants to get rid of him. Something isn't adding up here.

Possibly, although you wouldn't know by his effort on the ice - the guy is an absolute gamer.

As an opposing fan, not sure if I've ever seen him take a shift off. He's always noticeable.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Coyotes must either think they can get a ton for him and think is he is in for a big regression, or the contract demands are out of line.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It is a curious rumour.

I do think that Arizona GM has TONS on his plate - hiring a new coaching staff, trading OEL, figuring out the goalie situation leading up to the expansion draft...

Maybe signing a controlled RFA needs to happen AFTER other priorities?

Reactions: Ebbisen

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As a Coyotes fan this is soul-crushing.

Apart from Chychrun, he’s easily the best and most important player the franchise has. I’d literally trade any other player to keep him (other than Chychrun). Honestly, any two players. I’d rather have Garland than Keller+Hayton or Hayton+Soderstrom or Keller+Schmaltz. Honestly, I like Garland better than any pair of non-Chychrun Coyotes.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
ARI has to at least acknowledge receipt of Garland's contract ideas. If they are too busy to even address them, then a quick note back to that effect, suggesting interest and a time that they will get back to him, is absolutely necessary. It's common sense, and courtesy, nvm self interest, as he is one of their best young players. Either this report is wrong, or ARI management is not doing their job properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad