Seravalli: Garland is a "free asset", teams want assets to take him

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto would be insane to offer up a 'decent' (but injury prone) prospect for a buy-out candidate with a ca hit of 5mil for 3 more seasons, when they need to overhaul the defense and resign Matthews/Nylander still
Garland would cripple their cap, and we can line up anyone next to Matthews & Marner and have them pot near 20 goals and 50+ points.

Well first off it wouldn't cripple the cap there is no such thing, it doesn't exist, you simply move money around where you need to, when you need to, and before you say "it's not that easy."

Tell that to Vegas, yes it is, if you choose for it to be that easy yes it is.

2nd Robertson isn't going to break out anywhere because Robertson plays a style of game that gets him hurt all the time.

Robertson likes to go in the corner and battle for the puck.

The problem is he doesn't realize he's not 6"4 230 pounds he can't do it, and he won't change it.

He's always going to hurt, trade him now while he still has some value.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Think the trade is the Athletic rumor/speculated deal of #11OA + Garland for #19OA and a 2nd of some sort from the Hawks. From a Hawk perspective I would want the 2nd to be the Ott #44oa or the Nucks own 2nd next year going back. I could also see instead of 2nd going back, it being like the Dallas 3rd if the Hawks take Myers back after his bonus gets paid and he is more cap hit than actual salary.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Red Wings can offer pick #17 and Vancouver's original 2nd rounder (pick #41) for Garland and #11. Add Zadina if needed or just to give the kid a fresh start.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Is Garland a massive jerk or something? Why is this guy almost permanently on the trade block? I've always thought he's a pretty good player.

he's just a guy who got exposed as not very good when put into higher leverage situations. his style means he'll accumulate a fair number of points but he tanks the performance of everyone around him because he's extremely puck dominant and both his passing and his shot are poor. he's great on a third or fourth line where all he needs to do is forecheck aggressively and then kill time with the puck on his stick but that's all he's good for. he can't be played with other good offensive players and he has zero special teams utility

if he made like 2-3m and wasn't expected to play big minutes everyone would want him on their team. he's nowhere near a top 6 forward though

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
He did well here but there's a log jam of winger, especially with how Hoglander showed at the end of the year in the A - cheaper and potentially better option.

Kuzmenko, Boeser, Garland, Beauvillier, Micheyev, Hoglander, and Podkolzin are all vying for the top 9 with guys like Di Guiseppe that have shown chemistry in the top 6.

Trading Beau makes a lot of sense in terms of contract status and getting a couple draft picks would be good. Whether those picks are used at the draft or used to acquire 22-25 year old defensemen that might be stuck behind depth or not being utilized by respective teams remains to be seen of course.
He is a fringe NHLer, no better than Chaput or Megna or Granlund. They may have a half decent season in them, but they are replacement level 13th forwards and nothing more.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
To Chicago:

Garland and #11

To Vancouver:

Just do it already.
If your Vancouver, a trade like this only happens if you do not feel like the player at 11 is not that far off from what you could get at 19. Or during the draft, if the player, or two, your really wanted at 11 is off the board and you can unload a contact then I’’m sure Vancouver would consider it. I don’t really see a trade like this happening prior to the draft unless Chicago is taking on more of a dump such as:

Poolman, Garland, #11, Tor 3rd, for #19 and Chi 5th

That frees up 7Mill for Vancouver for the next two years plus another 5mill in year 3. Vancouver has some big contracts coming up next year so that is something I think they would consider.

Just my two cents.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
If your Vancouver, a trade like this only happens if you do not feel like the player at 11 is not that far off from what you could get at 19. Or during the draft, if the player, or two, your really wanted at 11 is off the board and you can unload a contact then I’’m sure Vancouver would consider it. I don’t really see a trade like this happening prior to the draft unless Chicago is taking on more of a dump such as:

Poolman, Garland, #11, Tor 3rd, for #19 and Chi 5th

That frees up 7Mill for Vancouver for the next two years plus another 5mill in year 3. Vancouver has some big contracts coming up next year so that is something I think they would consider.

Just my two cents.
Terrible trade for Vancouver. Poolman is LTIR with his head issues, no need to dump him at this point. If Vancouver is trading back from 11 to 19 and getting nothing else (especially with the caliber difference between 11 nd 19 this year) then they better be willing to take back additional salary. OEL and 11 for 19 is not enough for Chicago to take on OEL, but thats what it would take. Otherwise Garland and 11 for 19 and a good 2nd is minimum, and Chicago wins that deal with both Garland and 11.

Like others have said, if cap had been going up last year and this, a guy like Garland would be positive value and we'd be getting something for him, rather than nothing.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Well first off it wouldn't cripple the cap there is no such thing, it doesn't exist, you simply move money around where you need to, when you need to, and before you say "it's not that easy."

Tell that to Vegas, yes it is, if you choose for it to be that easy yes it is.

2nd Robertson isn't going to break out anywhere because Robertson plays a style of game that gets him hurt all the time.

Robertson likes to go in the corner and battle for the puck.

The problem is he doesn't realize he's not 6"4 230 pounds he can't do it, and he won't change it.

He's always going to hurt, trade him now while he still has some value.
Garland is not Stone, Eichel, or Pietrangelo ...those are the players Vegas brought in and shuffled players out for.
Garland is not a player you waste cap space on.
Robertson may continue to get hurt if he doesnt change his play style, but, thats a simple fix. and he's more likely to put up more points for 1/5th the cap hit.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
He is a fringe NHLer, no better than Chaput or Megna or Granlund. They may have a half decent season in them, but they are replacement level 13th forwards and nothing more.
Yeah he's good depth but he's actually good unlike those others, please. All I'm saying is if he sees time with Miller again, I wouldn't be surprised. And that's a top 6 slot. He's not a top 6 forward but there's plenty of teams that spread their talent by having these utility or role specific players up and down the line up.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
So does the OEL buyout change the objectives of the off season or do the Nucks still look to dump Garland and do a more substantial roster makeover?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Dumping OEL makes moving Garland, Myers or Boeser no longer neccessary

With Pearson and Poolman on LTIR, they have $12 million in cap space with 12 F (half of which don't seem very good), 4 D and 1 goalie.

I still very much imagine they'd want to move Garland for someone who would fit what they're looking for.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Dumping OEL makes moving Garland, Myers or Boeser no longer neccessary
Agree, but the question now becomes do they want to change things up by adding a significant piece or two? If they do, someone still goes but Myers post bonus getting paid should be a fairly painless contract to dump.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Agree, but the question now becomes do they want to change things up by adding a significant piece or two? If they do, someone still goes but Myers post bonus getting paid should be a fairly painless contract to dump.

Two potential issues there though

1) Myers NTC
2) Payout is in September and very few teams will have $6M in cap room available

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Jets should be interested. With potential in trading Dubois and Scheifele, they’ll have a need at forward. If they can get Garland cheaply then they don’t have to force acquiring an NHLer through the Dubois/ Scheifele trade if the fit isn’t there. Trades could be more futures based.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the OEL buyout likely increases the cost for Garland, because the Canucks don't have to move him anymore. They still might move him, but they're not in such an awful situation where they'd have to pay to get out of Garland's deal.

I still think he'd be fairly cheap to acquire, since Vancouver doesn't seem all that high on him, but I don't think he has negative value after the OEL buyout. His negative value was set based on Vancouver both wanting and needing to move him out to make the cap work. Now that OEL is bought out, they can be more patient and don't need to take a bad deal just to get out of his contract.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
So does the OEL buyout change the objectives of the off season or do the Nucks still look to dump Garland and do a more substantial roster makeover?
Well, whatever happens he certainly has a cost to acquire now. Though I don't think there was ever any scenario where Garland was given away.

Reactions: elitepete

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
It makes way more sense to move Boeser, Myers, and/or Beauvillier.

No reason to move Garland as he's a play driver at 5v5, unless the Canucks are getting assets back.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Jets should be interested. With potential in trading Dubois and Scheifele, they’ll have a need at forward. If they can get Garland cheaply then they don’t have to force acquiring an NHLer through the Dubois/ Scheifele trade if the fit isn’t there. Trades could be more futures based.
Was actually thinking there's a way for the Jets to deal with their log jam on the blueline with a Canucks trade. Canucks sure seem to need defensemen with OEL bought out and Poolman and Bear on LTIR.

Something like Pionk for Garland or Boeser.

Would love for it to be Schmidt from the Jets side but that ain't happening with Vancouver :sarcasm:

Reactions: Thechozen1

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Teams don't have that leverage anymore since Canucks cleared 7.1 mil of cap space for this year by buying out OEL. Garland will now require a face value trade since Canucks aren't desperate now for cap space

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Well, whatever happens he certainly has a cost to acquire now. Though I don't think there was ever any scenario where Garland was given away.
The only reason team asked for sweetners attached to Garland was due to Canucks being over the cap and being desperate. Now other teams lost that leverage by being too greedy when they probably could have acquired Garland for future considerations. Now the price is higher for Garland, especially once all the good FAs are gone. Garland in a vacuum is actually a good top 6 which I don't want Canucks to get rid of, unless they can get value back

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Now that OEL is out of the picture, would Canucks fans do Granlund and POJ for Garland? I recall reading that the Canucks wanted to add a 2C and Granlund was a 50 point guy over 4 years with Nashville as a center.

I'm not going to try to shine a turd into acting like Granlund is anything special, but he has shown to be able to produce in an offensive role and POJ seems like a logical replacement for OEL that costs a fraction of the money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad