Seravalli: Garland is a "free asset", teams want assets to take him

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Now that OEL is out of the picture, would Canucks fans do Granlund and POJ for Garland? I recall reading that the Canucks wanted to add a 2C and Granlund was a 50 point guy over 4 years with Nashville as a center.

I'm not going to try to shine a turd into acting like Granlund is anything special, but he has shown to be able to produce in an offensive role and POJ seems like a logical replacement for OEL that costs a fraction of the money.
If the Canucks are going to trade for Granlund fine, but it does not involve the pieces you want it to involve.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Now that OEL is out of the picture, would Canucks fans do Granlund and POJ for Garland? I recall reading that the Canucks wanted to add a 2C and Granlund was a 50 point guy over 4 years with Nashville as a center.

I'm not going to try to shine a turd into acting like Granlund is anything special, but he has shown to be able to produce in an offensive role and POJ seems like a logical replacement for OEL that costs a fraction of the money.
Granlund isn't a C though. At least not a competent one.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Nope, Canucks need D and also I rather keep Garland now that OEL is bought out. Only reason it came to trading Garland was because no one was taking Boeser or Myers and OEL was untradeable.

Man, there's so many Canucks I'd rather move than him.
Yep, Myers being one and Boeser the other one, and Pearson, and poolman

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

No thanks - Granlund is washed, not remotely appealing at all.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Granlund isn't a C though. At least not a competent one.

I mean he put up 64 points as a center in 2021-2022 though.

I'm not going to act like he's anything special, because he is explicitly not, but I'd imagine you could get 50 points out of him in a 2C role just like Nashville was getting out of him.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Red Wings can offer pick #17 and Vancouver's original 2nd rounder (pick #41) for Garland and #11. Add Zadina if needed or just to give the kid a fresh start.
I would go with Garland and 11th for 17th, 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick. Garland is not free asset anymore imo since Canucks now have cap space and not desperate.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
The calculus of trading Garland changes with the OEL buyout.

The primary purpose of any Garland trade is no longer Vancouver needing to make cap space. They have the leverage of being able to walk away now without making a trade. The primary purpose shifts now to the acquiring team wanting Garland.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

No thanks.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I still think Vancouver needs to move one of Boeser, Pearson or Garland. That blueline doesn't have a single guy capable of playing top 6 competition. Not a good place to be. As a Flames fan I know how much it sucks to have crappy ownership. Part of the blame is on Benning, but the lions share on the ownership he was taking his marching orders from.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still think Vancouver needs to move one of Boeser, Pearson or Garland. That blueline doesn't have a single guy capable of playing top 6 competition. Not a good place to be. As a Flames fan I know how much it sucks to have crappy ownership. Part of the blame is on Benning, but the lions share on the ownership he was taking his marching orders from.

I agree that they still likely end up trading Boeser or Garland, but as others have said, the OEL buyout eliminates the need for them to make that move. They can sit on Garland and Boeser until they get an offer they like.

I still don't think Garland would have crazy high value because the Vancouver management doesn't seem super high on him, but he will bring back positive value now.

Reactions: jackjohnson

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Counter Pettersson for Garland.

Feb 19, 2018
Something around Garland for Hanafin could probably work for both teams now OEL is out of the picture. Canucks could use a LHD and Flames could use a RHS winger.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

Pearson career is probably done, Canucks don’t need to move him (LTIR)

razor ray

May 8, 2011
If they got nothing today but bought time to be patient and get something later

It certainly helped
Perhaps but what is the return later? Vancouver really needs to make a bold move, or two, if they want to compete with Vegas, Edmonton and LA. If the bold move is to prolong the pain of OEL and keep Garland, that basically means they are likely to be drafting around the same spot next year or bounced in the 1st round.

I actually liked the way Vancouver was playing at the end of the year but hopefully the plan is to do more besides buying out OEL just for some space to keep current players.

Last edited:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I'm actually surprised a team hasn't just taken him for nothing. He's a 15-20 goal, 50 point, 2nd/3rd line tweener who is fiesty and can produce in the crunch making sub $5 mil for only 3 more seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad