Seravalli: Garland is a "free asset", teams want assets to take him

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In coming buyout of Garland's contract. Said this when reports that Vancouver was considering this. He will be bought out.
With it being a flat cap again this year teams are not going to help Vancouver here unless they add significant assets. Look at the players teams are going to not offer a QO to. You think any team out there is going to take on 3 more years of Garland with out full retention and or major assets attached to him? If Vancouver can move Garland and the 11OA pick for the 19OA and a second rounder they should be jumping on this.

If that does happen, and it might because I've looked at the buy out and They'd save over 11 million bucks over the next 3 years.

Then Toronto needs to be all over this, I think he's a very good player in a very bad situation.

If you put him in Toronto top 60 he's putting up 60 points, I think he's got that level of skill.

I don't know why he's considered a free asset I think that's ridiculous.

Somebody is getting a steal, particularly if that team is Toronto, Tampa, Edmonton, Florida, Vegas, somebody with offensive skill, and especially if that team gets assets to take him.

Reactions: SiZ

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If they really are looking to just dump, which I think they will regret but if they are would they take a young skilled player with question marks like Nick Robertson?

Could that be a fit? Because it's not a question of can he play it's a question of health.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Really hope Vancouver's not dumb enough to sell low on him. Just sell Beauvillier for a couple 3rd's or Myers for a 6th, clear that cap and let guys like him and Boeser rebuild their value. The cap will go up after this season anyways, we won't be in trouble then.

Reactions: SiZ and Grantham

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
In coming buyout of Garland's contract. Said this when reports that Vancouver was considering this. He will be bought out.
With it being a flat cap again this year teams are not going to help Vancouver here unless they add significant assets. Look at the players teams are going to not offer a QO to. You think any team out there is going to take on 3 more years of Garland with out full retention and or major assets attached to him? If Vancouver can move Garland and the 11OA pick for the 19OA and a second rounder they should be jumping on this.
Lol what an awful post. Must be a new fan of the game.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
He signed Boeser to a contract he can’t move and traded a first and second to paint himself into a corner with the cap.

He also signed Miller instead of trading him for assets when it was clear the team needed a major shake up and the team still had Horvat.

Traded Dickinson for a second and then added more wingers to an already overload wing that is expensive and appears to not be movable.

Keeps telling us that this cap business isn’t a big deal and doesn’t seem to value the cap appropriately.

Yup, doing a bang up job!

Also set the team up to make a run after it was clear they had no chance at the playoffs while looking at one of the deep drafts in recent memory.

As a Canucks fan, I’m not sure how you can look at this and not wonder if we could have done better.

These aren’t bad moves seeing what was available to do. Ohhhh nooo… re-signing a young winger and ppg gritty center ! The hoorrror.

Just because you don’t agree with it, doesn’t make it wrong.

Like, how tf do you file trading Dickenson as a negative . He was absolute hot garbage here. Lmaooo

Yikes. This is absolutely ridiculous.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Imagine supporting Benning for almost 10 years and then be instantly ANGRY at the new management. Benning was GREAT, but the STUPID owner kept MEDDLING! <- you have these folks around here, which is crazy, as everyone who is not like this, gets insta-permabanned from canucks.com forums. That is a place I like to watch in my leisure time, people over there are NUTS.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Is Garland a massive jerk or something? Why is this guy almost permanently on the trade block? I've always thought he's a pretty good player.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Is Garland a massive jerk or something? Why is this guy almost permanently on the trade block? I've always thought he's a pretty good player.
Personally, I think a lot of fellow Canuck fans see his 5on5 numbers and overate him because of it. To me, he's wildly inconsistent. He's either buzzing around, agitating and creating chances, or he's getting manhandled and plays repeatedly die on his stick.

Van has better options on PP1, and Garland doesn't PK. He has disappeared for long stretches (IIRC he went 20 games without a goal at one point), and hasn't been able to win-over 2 coaches for a top 6 role (Tochett even preferred Phil Di Giuseppe-who did actually play pretty well), despite a clear opportunity to do so. Seems as though he's a 3rd liner that can produce regardless of who he plays with, but that's not quite worth the 5mil he's making. Imo, if he was more consistent, he'd be a really good player, and a fixture in the top 6.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Does this guy have a personality issue or something? A few years ago everyone seemed to want him, now he has another team wanting to get rid of him, and his value apparently is very little.

Could retention be on the table? I know teams often don't like to retain on long term deals bit it might get some renewed interest.

Reactions: Reality Czech

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
These aren’t bad moves seeing what was available to do. Ohhhh nooo… re-signing a young winger and ppg gritty center ! The hoorrror.

Like, how tf do you file trading Dickenson as a negative . He was absolute hot garbage here. Lmaooo

Boeser is clearly overpaid, the team is clearly in a difficult cap situation, they clearly don’t have a prospect pool to speak of, many of the “insiders” have spoken to the lack of value at all on Boeser and how limited the market would be for Miller. A second round pick is a significant asset to give up, all so we could sign more wingers, which was done expecting us to be able to move out some contracts.

They were wrong and they couldn’t. That is the point, they have been incorrect in the assumptions they have made and have put the team in a tough spot.

It’s these kind of inefficient moves that have made this team hot garbage. Just because you don’t understand that doesn’t make it right.

Yikes, your take is absolutely ridiculous and an over simplification of the whole.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Flat cap is what truly diminishes these players value. Really Benning should have been fired before making this deal (which I liked at the time as I thought OEL had more in the tank). Realistically Garland is a good top 6 player that makes any team deeper if he plays their 3rd line as he will still produce like a top 6 with those minutes. I would prefer to keep him, but Benning really screwed us with bad contracts.

I think they should have given some free buyouts during COVID to help teams navigate this unprecidented flat cap era.

That said, once Pearson and Poolman get activated on LTIR we have about 5m in space, and have nobody that needs to be resigned at much more than league minimum. We just don't have room to try and improve the team.

To Chicago:

Garland and #11

To Vancouver:

Just do it already.
Chicago adds.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Imagine supporting Benning for almost 10 years and then be instantly ANGRY at the new management. Benning was GREAT, but the STUPID owner kept MEDDLING! <- you have these folks around here, which is crazy, as everyone who is not like this, gets insta-permabanned from canucks.com forums. That is a place I like to watch in my leisure time, people over there are NUTS.
Lol can’t be worse than Calgary puck
To Chicago:

Garland and #11

To Vancouver:

Just do it already.
Canucks aren’t going to package Garland and the 11th for the 19 OA pick :laugh:

Canucks simply don’t make this trade and just ride out the contracts. If we ever decided to trade down to the 19th, you’d have to add considerably more. Del Mastro would be a starting point.

SiZ

Jun 24, 2020
Really hope Vancouver's not dumb enough to sell low on him. Just sell Beauvillier for a couple 3rd's or Myers for a 6th, clear that cap and let guys like him and Boeser rebuild their value. The cap will go up after this season anyways, we won't be in trouble then.

Beauvillier coming back in that trade didn't make sense then, and it doesn't make sense now.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Starting to look like he indeed will be traded unless the Canucks dont like the return, then, probably, he will NOT be traded

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Damn, Beauvillier for a couple of 3rds? I thought he was really beasting in his short time in Vancouver.

If that was a real offer I would hope the Pens would bite your hand off. We'd have to dump Granlund or just buy him out, but I would be all over it.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
If they really are looking to just dump, which I think they will regret but if they are would they take a young skilled player with question marks like Nick Robertson?

Could that be a fit? Because it's not a question of can he play it's a question of health.
Toronto would be insane to offer up a 'decent' (but injury prone) prospect for a buy-out candidate with a ca hit of 5mil for 3 more seasons, when they need to overhaul the defense and resign Matthews/Nylander still
Garland would cripple their cap, and we can line up anyone next to Matthews & Marner and have them pot near 20 goals and 50+ points.

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Canucks would rather attach an asset to Myers to move him given actual cash owed or move on from Beauvillier than attach something to Garland. I think it would be a bad decision to add to move Garland. He has respectable numbers for the role and minutes he plays. Increase his PP time and he might be that 60 point winger who is a beast 5 on 5 and at drawing penalties. He puck possession game is severely underrated as well.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Garland is a good player, but he's a luxury not a need. In a world with a normally escalating cap, there would probably be a bidding war for him (and van might not even want to trade him), but in a cap strapped world where teams need to cut corners, he's an easy corner to cut, so to speak.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Damn, Beauvillier for a couple of 3rds? I thought he was really beasting in his short time in Vancouver.

If that was a real offer I would hope the Pens would bite your hand off. We'd have to dump Granlund or just buy him out, but I would be all over it.
He did well here but there's a log jam of winger, especially with how Hoglander showed at the end of the year in the A - cheaper and potentially better option.

Kuzmenko, Boeser, Garland, Beauvillier, Micheyev, Hoglander, and Podkolzin are all vying for the top 9 with guys like Di Guiseppe that have shown chemistry in the top 6.

Trading Beau makes a lot of sense in terms of contract status and getting a couple draft picks would be good. Whether those picks are used at the draft or used to acquire 22-25 year old defensemen that might be stuck behind depth or not being utilized by respective teams remains to be seen of course.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

That would be the lowest price (similar to the ask for Bjorkstrand), definitely would start higher but then allow for negotiation. Since we've got these other skilled guys with longer term (Garland/ Boeser) who aren't unskilled, and we can get out of this bind by moving shorter term big money without dumping more assets or buying him out, I'd prefer this route where there's still a net gain, even if it looks like a loss to others. (Side note: if Rutta is any good still, would be open to including him in the trade package).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad