Games you are currently playing - Part 7

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
I guess the easier way to rationalize is I was a day 1 Destiny player and played the absolute f*** out of it in college and I still don't make time for Destiny 2 and I'd much rather play that as an always online type looter shooter.

So unless you can tell me FO76 is worth it for the story instead of me just replaying NV, 4, and playing 3 for the first time at my own leisure, I don't see the point.
I go back to 76 at every new big update to play the quests and/or expeditions and pop new achievements.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
My biggest problem with 76 is how co-op works. For some reason in a co-op shooter, quests only progress for the party leader. It's nonsensical.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Playing New Vegas for like the 9th time, never really gets old.

Also playing Ys 8 since it’s on sale and it slaps so far. Fun game.

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
My biggest problem with 76 is how co-op works. For some reason in a co-op shooter, quests only progress for the party leader. It's nonsensical.
I mostly played the game solo so this wasn't a problem for me. I did only co-op to lunch a nuke for the "end game" and for events after I cleared all main and side quests.

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
Got back to my Control playthrough I left waiting since last November.

What a weird and somewhat hard but fun game! Haha.

I plan finishing my tedious Duke Nukem Forever after, then start Fallout 3 because of the Fallout itch the TV series game me.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I was full of shit. I Uninstalled FO76 on my PC back when I was posting about it. But I forgot to uninstall off my ROG Ally.

Friday, I decided to jump back into FO3 but the thing is after getting my start with the more modern gameplay of FO4, I needed to mod the shit out of New Vegas to make the gameplay palatable for me to get through it. The base game of FO3 is mechanically more of the same so I ended up felling uninterested in playing or flipping through mod pages to find what I need. Hopped on my new FO4 playthrough for like 30 minutes and still wasn't feeling it.

Got on my ROG Ally for some in bed pre-sleep gaming and saw I still had 76 installed. Once I actually sat down with it and started looking things up I realized that the game could be fun with public events and resource farming with the player base. I'm still not expecting a knockout story but I played for a good chunk of the weekend and had a great time compared to my first attempt to enjoy it.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
How does Fallout 76 compare to Destiny? Are there large hub areas that you can just mess around as a solo in with other players running around? And are there like strikes where you team up with people and fight a boss at the end?

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
How does Fallout 76 compare to Destiny? Are there large hub areas that you can just mess around as a solo in with other players running around? And are there like strikes where you team up with people and fight a boss at the end?
There are hub-like areas like Whitepring Resort (main one), The Foundation, The Crater, and Fort Atlas. Expect to see other players at train stations.

Events are where you "team up" with other players to defeat big bosses. Just go to the event location and fight. Teaming up with other players for the expeditions makes them easier to complete.

That being said, I never played Destiny.

Reactions: Jovavic

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There isn't really a 'starting hub' like in Destiny since the map is so massive and filled with locations. Like @SimGrindcore said, there's hub locations to the extent that you have crafting benches and item storage and some hubs with NPC vendors and you might see some players around them but because there are so many I wouldn't say there's any hubs where you'll see more than 2-3 players in the same spot. Especially since for item management/crafting you can just fast travel to your camp that you can place anywhere on the map.

Your camp can be used as a trading post where other players can see an overview of the kind of items you're selling on the minimap so I've had players pop into my camp to browse my wares for sale here and there.

But to answer the second part of your question, there are public events that the whole lobby can jump into if they see on the minimap that people are participating and that's the main way to get high quality gear. They're more involved than most public events in the Destiny overworld and some operate like raids with very high level boss fights. Then there's OPs which is basically a more streamlined event that you can run repeatedly and I guess they operate like a Destiny strike. I've had a fair number of event runs with 7-10 players.

One other benefit is you can join public squads freely and get a passive XP boost based on the number of players in your team (up to four) and you can also travel to their camps or directly to the player without paying caps (one of the annoying things about 76 is most locations will charge you the base currency to fast travel to certain locations except for some of the 'hub' locations. So whenever I do events, I'll load my inventory with dropped weapons and just bulk sell them to get enough caps to offset my fast travel costs while profiting from the content I clear, or I'll try to use my squad mates as fast travel points to get me closer walking distance to where I'm trying to go or reduce the cap cost to fast travel there (the cost is based on distance)). So that was a long way of saying it's always a good idea to squad up even if you don't do anything with your squadmates.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Hmm, thanks for the replies. I might check it out in the summer, but I'd need to get Plus also so there's an added cost.
FYI, if you have Amazon Prime and play on PC or Xbox, you can claim it for free this month at primegaming.com. You might want to take advantage of that right now even if you don't intend to actually play it right now.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Ys Lacramosa of Dana is awesome.

Huge JRPG sale on Steam rn. Picked up FFXV and Yakuza Like a Dragon.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
FYI, if you have Amazon Prime and play on PC or Xbox, you can claim it for free this month at primegaming.com. You might want to take advantage of that right now even if you don't intend to actually play it right now.
Do you have to be an xbox game pass subscriber to play it?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Do you have to be an xbox game pass subscriber to play it?
No. You do if that's how you download it. But I got my copy with my Prime membership. Otherwise there's no subscription to play. There is an optional subscription for some player benefits like a tent you can put up anywhere at no cost to store your loot and scrap junk and it gives you premium currency for the micro transaction shop every month. Plus some things in that shop are only purchasable if you have the membership. That's where the real money is lol.

I'd complain but I used to play a lot of SWTOR and their membership was basically essential as the game caps your money and throttles your level progression if you don't have it. In hindsight I wish I never bought into that scam for an objectively mediocre game.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Husband got me a key for Fallout 76 today. I'm downloading it now. Not sure what to expect, but I'm generally a big Bethesda games fan so I hope I like it.
Interesting first Fallout game to get into. From what I've heard it's pretty decent after having a rough launch. My wife played it a bit, but didn't get into it as much as the others.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Husband got me a key for Fallout 76 today. I'm downloading it now. Not sure what to expect, but I'm generally a big Bethesda games fan so I hope I like it.
If you're not sure what to expect from a Bethesda game, then you haven't played enough of them. It's one thing that you can always count on, that it'll be exactly what you expected it to be, for good or bad. ;)

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The Fallout 4 revisionism I've been seeing on social media lately is pretty funny. Gotta wonder if Starfield will receive the same treatment once ES6 is out.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
lol Fallout 4s next Gen update just made the game worse for PC
Yeah, it's both funny and sad that Bethesda didn't bother to address any of the issues that PC gamers had, but did break the mods that the community came up with to address them.

I was waiting for the update to start Fallout 4, but now am just going to play the original version, instead. Being able to use existing mods is a lot more important to me than the very minor additions in the PC version of the update.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The Fallout 4 revisionism I've been seeing on social media lately is pretty funny. Gotta wonder if Starfield will receive the same treatment once ES6 is out.
In what sense? All I see is the same old bickering between people who think it's pretty good and those, mostly NV fans, who think it's dogshit.

lol Fallout 4s next Gen update just made the game worse for PC
Hilariously on brand for Bethesda. They've been running on a huge high from the spike in players after the release of the show which was well received and then just shoot themselves in the foot.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, it's both funny and sad that Bethesda didn't bother to address any of the issues that PC gamers had, but did break the mods that the community came up with to address them.

I was waiting for the update to start Fallout 4, but now am just going to play the original version, instead. Being able to use existing mods is a lot more important to me than the very minor additions in the PC version of the update.
They also just removed the ability to customize your settings on Steam Deck so that you have to play with their settings in order to get it verified. Silly

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I picked up Aliens Fireteam elite and I'm struggling with whether I should refund or not. Its really hard to get a 3 player team and I dont want to play with bots, seems lame

edit: I'm refunding this. It aint no helldivers

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I tried playing Nobody Saves the World. I'm genuinely shocked the game has 90%+ rating on Steam. It has a cool gimmick of being able to change characters on the fly but it wears thin really quickly. Everything is just a grind to unlock where they force their play style onto you in order to progress, forcing you to often play in a style you don't want to play. The combat itself is not fun enough. Even playing in co-op, my friend and I both gave up after 3.5 hours.

I also got Showgunners on Fanatical which I've been keeping my eye on for a while now. It's an XCOM style game but the theme of the game takes place in a TV game show all about murdering people. It's a pretty fun twist. Game play is exactly what you'd expect from XCOM. I only finished the first mission but it's a lot of fun so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad