GDT: Game VIII | Star Wars: The Fast Jedi | Oilers @ Penguins | 8/24/17 | 5:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
In my mind they have to at least take the game to OT, and even if they lose it there that's still 3 out of a possible 6 points on a pretty tough east coast road trip so I would consider that 'ok' given how they were stumbling out of the gate. Certainly not great, but it'd be at least keeping their head above water as they head into a 5 game homestand.

Lose this game in regulation, and things look a lot more dire.

Apathetic

Oct 29, 2010
Downtown
I think McDavid and Talbot carry us to an OT win tonight. Lets not give up a goal in the first 5 minutes tonight boys.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think McDavid and Talbot carry us to an OT win tonight. Lets not give up a goal in the first 5 minutes tonight boys.

That's our problem. In order for us to win any game McDavid and Talbot have to be exceptional. See Calgary and Chicago wins

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers can't score to save their lives. Pens can't keep the puck out of the net to save their lives.

Who wants to put a wager on which of these two facts holds true after tonight?

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
Projected #Oil lines:
Maroon-McDavid-Yamamoto
Lucic-Nuge-Strome
Letestu-Draisaitl-Caggiula
Pakarinen-Khaira-Kassian

Out: Jokinen, Slepyshev

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Hopefully this is the game our shooting percentage begins to rise... right now its 3.9%. Second last to the dreadful Habs. Leafs' shooting percentage is 11.5.

Our percentage has to start going up eventually right? RIGHT???

I think your numbers are wrong. Currently we're shooting at 5.14%, Montreal's at 3.9%. Both suck of course.

Compare that to Toronto currently shooting at 13.00%, or Tampa Bay's ridiculous 13.25%. Both of these teams shot around 9.4-9.5% last year, so they're riding some wicked hot streaks right now that cannot continue long term. Doesn't mean they won't keep winning though.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Oilers can't score to save their lives. Pens can't keep the puck out of the net to save their lives.

Who wants to put a wager on which of these two facts holds true after tonight?
I'll always put money on the stoppable force rather than the moveable object, which in this case would be the Oilers offense since Niemi isn't a Penguin anymore.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
With Drai back in the lineup, the pressure is on Yammy to produce now if he stays on McDavid's line. You know Todd won't be afraid to move Drai up to the first line without any hesitation if the first line isn't producing.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
With Drai back in the lineup, the pressure is on Yammy to produce now if he stays on McDavid's line. You know Todd won't be afraid to move Drai up to the first line without any hesitation if the first line isn't producing.

Nor should he. Yamamoto is playing with a top 2 player in the world. If he can't put pucks in the net playing with McDavid it is imperative we get someone who can.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nor should he. Yamamoto is playing with a top 2 player in the world. If he can't put pucks in the net playing with McDavid it is imperative we get someone who can.
I don't want to say that KY is holding McDavid back but this is something of a concern. If you can't score a goal with Connor McDavid you probably aren't ready to be a top 6 player in the NHL just yet. KY should really go back before the end of this week.

Reactions: OilDrop37

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Drai and Yamamoto are both near the top of the NHL in shots/60 this year (small samples obviously)... but those shots have to start connecting eventually (hopefully).

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I think your numbers are wrong. Currently we're shooting at 5.14%, Montreal's at 3.9%. Both suck of course.

Compare that to Toronto currently shooting at 13.00%, or Tampa Bay's ridiculous 13.25%. Both of these teams shot around 9.4-9.5% last year, so they're riding some wicked hot streaks right now that cannot continue long term. Doesn't mean they won't keep winning though.
I was looking at 5v5, thats probably it. Either way, our numbers are bad and should get better

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hoping for an exciting game. Win or lose. Those 1-2 loss type games are starting to put people to sleep.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Those lines are atrocious. Good job TMac, great way to utilize 8.5m Drai centering the 3rd line with Latest and Caggiula. So sad to see this organization value 6M Nuge over Drai. I don't care if its cause he may be rusty, after the rust is shaken off, it's straight back to being stapled on the top line with McD.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Projected #Oil lines:
Maroon-McDavid-Yamamoto
Lucic-Nuge-Strome
Letestu-Draisaitl-Caggiula
Pakarinen-Khaira-Kassian

Out: Jokinen, Slepyshev

ugh Khaira...and Strome...

more so seeing Strome in the lineup. Guy is so useless

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
McLellan wants to play RNH against tough competition. He can't do that if he is putting Slepyshev and Caggiula on his wings.

I don't necessarily agree with his angle here, but I can see what the idea is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce