Olympics: Game Thread - Canada vs Germany

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Well. this kinda went as expected, just a little worse than I was hoping for. Guess we'll see if this was an accident or just the level of play we're back at..

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Was 2018 played on NHL or big ice? NHL ice certainly favours teams like Canada and the USA and might entirely change the dynamic of the tournament.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Why is that funny? They made it to the gold game last time, almost the same roster now.

Internationally speaking (non-NHLers) Russia is the only team we couldn't beat so far. (and we seldomly played the Finns iirc)

Because I remember when even getting to those kind of events or staying in Division 1 was a big achievement.
Now we actually go there to win stuff

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What's there to see?

Russia's 2018 roster is considerably better than this team Canada's. It's no different than you saying this Canadian roster is stronger than the 2018 version. Both are fact.
I only think its a little different as Canada has some young players with very elite potential, but yes that Russian roster in 2018 was very very good.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Canada looks better than most of their past "NHL" teams. Game 1, mind you.

Maybe not the Olympic teams but they definitely look much better than several of their WHC rosters which had NHL players, sharper and more energy right out of the gate. It was surprising as I thought they would be anemic and flat going into Beijing with all the COVID protocols but I think all the doubting and naysaying gnaws on these players. One article said Canada's team went from medal contenders to also-rans, I'm sure that would fire up quite a few of the players on this roster to prove them wrong.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
After reading some of this thread "you" could think Germany was the big favourite here. But even in the DEL just 2 of the Top 20 scorers are German. This team is weaker as the they were 2018. They have by far no Dmen like Ehrhoff. They need a very good day to beat a Team like Canada. That wasnt the case today.

Reactions: Lambo

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
As always, Germany has a rather mediocre team on paper. The German national team always needs a special mentality to compete well in a tournament. A team spirit that is higher than anyone else's. Otherwise it's not enough!

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
As always, Germany has a rather mediocre team on paper. The German national team always needs a special mentality to compete well in a tournament. A team spirit that is higher than anyone else's. Otherwise it's not enough!

I would say a best possible team germany would battle for medals in World Championship if not the top nations have super good squads

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Man did O'Dell ever smoke that German defenceman. Who says that physical play can't intimidate your opponents. That one hit set the tone for the game, there were a lot of nervous German puck carriers looking around.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Man did O'Dell ever smoke that German defenceman. Who says that physical play can't intimidate your opponents. That one hit set the tone for the game, there were a lot of nervous German puck carriers looking around.
A great fore-check is essential for this reason, and why it's always been a staple on high octane and quality Canadian teams in the past.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
What's there to see?

Russia's 2018 roster is considerably better than this team Canada's. It's no different than you saying this Canadian roster is stronger than the 2018 version. Both are fact.
The same 2018 team that almost lost to Germany? i doubt that.

This Canada team is much better than 2018 Russia and they'll prove it the rest of the way.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I just thought Niederberger was not really ready to play... i'd have hooked him at 3 but i assume they probably felt the game was done at that point and have Aus DenBirken going fresh for next game. Germany won't beat anyone if they go down 3 early... they can easily get back on their feet with a solid start next game.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
The same 2018 team that almost lost to Germany? i doubt that.

This Canada team is much better than 2018 Russia and they'll prove it the rest of the way.

The topic is strength of roster. That said, anything can happen in game situations. It’s only ‘on paper’ strength.
But it’s a fact. No recent non-NHL olympic team can match 2018 Russia, let alone this current Canadian team.
They had Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Kaprizov, Mozyakin, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Gavrikov, Zub, Barabanov, Voinov, etc. .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad