Marlies GDT: Game Seven Strikes Toronto Again - But Great Job Marlies

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Holland is one of the most dangerous players in the AHL, he needs to be an NHL player, probably on the wing though if we want to make playoffs Bolland should be resigned.

Spencer Abbott is one of my personal favourites, have always loved this guy since we signed him. Knew he would blossom in the AHL, the question is will he in the NHL..Hes an extremely smart passer and has good hands and he can shoot it, the question is can he be an effective 5 on 5 player in the NHL, we know he would be a good PP player.

Sam Carrick to me can be a bottom 6 C in the mold of a Mike Richards lite. Big hitter smart player with great defense and a drive and determination that allows him to get it done in the O zone. I like this kid a lot as a bottom 6 C, i think right now hes ahead of Gauthier until Gauthier proves he can be a smart player to go along with his physical tools.

Peter Granberg was a stud all year for the Marlies, hes described as a workhorse by teammates, everyone hates to go up against him in practice, he has a great work ethic and hes a smart defender...A terrific shot blocker, good positionally, gets in the lanes and breaks up plays.. Looking like he will be a great defensive RD.

Korbinian Holzer was the marlies big minute munching defensive d man, he needs to make the transition next year to be a bottom pair RD for the leafs or he will likely be moved/waived.

Jerry D'Amigo is a great role player, hes a player that any coach would love to have.. A terrific 5 on 5 player because of his tireless work ethic and underrated skill. He allways looks to play the game the right way, dump and chase forecheck hard and cycle pucks below the goal line. Hes also a terrific PK guy, he may not be a tough guy in the bottom 6 but he will provide work ethic and puck possesion 5 on 5 and be good for your special teams. Reminds me of a bottom 6 Zach Parise lite.

Carter Ashton can score at the AHL level because of his great speed good size and good shot. At the NHL level he wont be a scorer but more utilized for his combination of size and skill. Great forechecker, good at protecting the puck downlow and a good two way player. He will be a usefull 4th line player.

Josh Leivo is the most interesting Marlie, he has the highest ceiling probably, hes a winger with skill, size and a drive to score goals. Hes a smart player who makes the right plays and is a good passer, but his strength remains in sniping and being a great prescence in front of the net, like JVR he has great hands infront and isnt afraid to go into the dirty areas, he scores a ton of tip and rebound goals infront. I think he will be a great top 9 winger in the NHL.

Greg Mckegg had an increased role this year, playing top line minutes.. Hes an extremely smart player who has worked on his two way game at the AHL level in order for his game to translate better to the NHL.. Hes still raw but could turn out as a good player one day.

Stuart Percy proved hes a smart puck mover and a good positional defender, he still has a long way to go to round out his game to be ready for the NHL, but his 1st season was a success.

All in all we have one of the most impressive if not the most impressive AHL team in the league. We may not have the sexiest names on the team but we are one of the youngest teams in the league, and not only were we young our core players playing pivotal roles for our team are mostly made up of young players, and if Texas wins the Calder in less then 7 we would be considered the 2nd best team in the league being that young.. I think its safe to say we have depth in our farm and if we make sure the top end players in the NHL are great and can carry most of the big roles on the NHL team successfully we have a bright future.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Well Holland is all ready at 68 games. You're saying he can't play another 80 or so games? Is he that bad that he won't get at least John Mitchell esque games/minutes for a bit? Really?

I didn't know Carrick being 6' and around 200 LBS is considered small these days.

I'm just not seeing Holland. He is a softish perimeter player with little ability to make space for himself. The Ducks basically dumped him for a scratch and win ticket and I don't think they are wrong. Who knows maybe he will be the next Dan Marois and we can trade him.

Carrick is all heart but he is missing the tools to play the same way at the next level IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm just not seeing Holland. He is a softish perimeter player with little ability to make space for himself. The Ducks basically dumped him for a scratch and win ticket and I don't think they are wrong. Who knows maybe he will be the next Dan Marois and we can trade him.

Carrick is all heart but he is missing the tools to play the same way at the next level IMO.

All right because he's not plowing people through the boards, he's soft? I've seen him use his body a lot of times in his time with the Leafs and the Marlies, both physically or to protect/retrieve the puck. He's a great stickhandler and has a good shot. He looked really solid for the Leafs, which is the positive, but he's looked like a man among boys in the AHL, especially in the playoffs. He's clearly a NHL prospect. Whether that's as a top 6 player or more of a third line center, we'll see how that goes. I really don't see the soft and perimeter plays you described at all. If he was a completely perimeter player in nature, he wouldn't even be that successful in the AHL and wouldn't have made stints in the NHL with success.

The Ducks traded him probably because they needed a defender and unfortunately for Holland, they didn't have a spot for him in the near future. They have Getzlaf, Bonino and Cogliano infront of him for the foreseable future and Holland won't be waiver eligible forever. Pretty irrelevant why they gave him up though.

Carrick is a work in progress. He took major strides in his development and really exploded on the scene. We'll see if he can keep it up next year. That doesn't remove the fact that he's looked reaaaally good for the Marlies... like really good. He hits like a truck and has improved everything in his game tenfold... and that's coming from me, a guy that didn't even think would be more then a AHL healthy scratch on most days when he made his AHL debut last season.

mikebel111*

Holland was expendable so was traded. Holland is anything but soft, not really physical but he does battle down low. He is an NHL prospect with potential for top 6.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
All right because he's not plowing people through the boards, he's soft? I've seen him use his body a lot of times in his time with the Leafs and the Marlies, both physically or to protect/retrieve the puck. He's a great stickhandler and has a good shot. He looked really solid for the Leafs, which is the positive, but he's looked like a man among boys in the AHL, especially in the playoffs. He's clearly a NHL prospect. Whether that's as a top 6 player or more of a third line center, we'll see how that goes. I really don't see the soft and perimeter plays you described at all. If he was a completely perimeter player in nature, he wouldn't even be that successful in the AHL and wouldn't have made stints in the NHL with success.

The Ducks traded him probably because they needed a defender and unfortunately for Holland, they didn't have a spot for him in the near future. They have Getzlaf, Bonino and Cogliano infront of him for the foreseable future and Holland won't be waiver eligible forever. Pretty irrelevant why they gave him up though.

Carrick is a work in progress. He took major strides in his development and really exploded on the scene. We'll see if he can keep it up next year. That doesn't remove the fact that he's looked reaaaally good for the Marlies... like really good. He hits like a truck and has improved everything in his game tenfold... and that's coming from me, a guy that didn't even think would be more then a AHL healthy scratch on most days when he made his AHL debut last season.

Duly noted. I hope you are 100% right about Holland.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Why don't you admit it, its fans like you who will always be OK with a below average team. Just to drive you mad lol

Leafs + Choke = Chiefs
Marlies + Choke = Charlies

that should the name for our beloved franchises lol

What's maddening is people like you that use words that you clearly don't know how to apply correctly. Making the final four in the playoffs is below average? Marlies were the underdog. They had to win 2 games on the road to advance. They lost one of their best goal scorers and gave up a 2 goal lead with 25 minutes left to play in the game. 25 minutes... that's hardly uncommon to see happen. That is hardly a choke. Its also called common sense but I'd guess you probably didn't give the Marlies much thought but you couldn't wait to run in here and make a stupid and uninformed comment about them. Get the stepping, lol.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
To hear some talk, we have zero talent in our system and the best course of action is to trade Kessel, Phanuef, Lupul, Bozak and Reimer, all for picks, because all those guys are for sure going to be wasted anyway, so we can do a "proper rebuild".

Y'know........REALISM.

:naughty:

So impressed you any more than 2nd rd pick Ritchie of the Stars. Wonder how long before he joins Seguin and Jamie Benn on the first line. All this proves is that the Stars who are a better team, their farm team is better than ours, and their prospects are better than ours. So when will the Leafs catch up to the Stars. In the end the bigger better team won, poor Macintyre just couldn't save them once more.

mikebel111*

So impressed you any more than 2nd rd pick Ritchie of the Stars. Wonder how long before he joins Seguin and Jamie Benn on the first line. All this proves is that the Stars who are a better team, their farm team is better than ours, and their prospects are better than ours. So when will the Leafs catch up to the Stars. In the end the bigger better team won, poor Macintyre just couldn't save them once more.

Wrong. Stars were lead by veterans for most part.
Drew was great but Marlies were good all season
How are your Bulldogs doing?
We have a good farm system. Ur just mad about it!
People dont know much when they say we have no prospects.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Drew was great but Marlies were good all season
How are your Bulldogs doing?
We have a good farm system. Ur just mad about it!
People dont know much when they say we have no prospects.

Top 2 scorers of Texas? Both 29 years old.

Top 2 scorers of the Marlies? Both 23 years old.

Pretty big difference.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Holland is one of the most dangerous players in the AHL, he needs to be an NHL player, probably on the wing though if we want to make playoffs Bolland should be resigned.

Spencer Abbott is one of my personal favourites, have always loved this guy since we signed him. Knew he would blossom in the AHL, the question is will he in the NHL..Hes an extremely smart passer and has good hands and he can shoot it, the question is can he be an effective 5 on 5 player in the NHL, we know he would be a good PP player.

Sam Carrick to me can be a bottom 6 C in the mold of a Mike Richards lite. Big hitter smart player with great defense and a drive and determination that allows him to get it done in the O zone. I like this kid a lot as a bottom 6 C, i think right now hes ahead of Gauthier until Gauthier proves he can be a smart player to go along with his physical tools.

Peter Granberg was a stud all year for the Marlies, hes described as a workhorse by teammates, everyone hates to go up against him in practice, he has a great work ethic and hes a smart defender...A terrific shot blocker, good positionally, gets in the lanes and breaks up plays.. Looking like he will be a great defensive RD.

Korbinian Holzer was the marlies big minute munching defensive d man, he needs to make the transition next year to be a bottom pair RD for the leafs or he will likely be moved/waived.

Jerry D'Amigo is a great role player, hes a player that any coach would love to have.. A terrific 5 on 5 player because of his tireless work ethic and underrated skill. He allways looks to play the game the right way, dump and chase forecheck hard and cycle pucks below the goal line. Hes also a terrific PK guy, he may not be a tough guy in the bottom 6 but he will provide work ethic and puck possesion 5 on 5 and be good for your special teams. Reminds me of a bottom 6 Zach Parise lite.

Carter Ashton can score at the AHL level because of his great speed good size and good shot. At the NHL level he wont be a scorer but more utilized for his combination of size and skill. Great forechecker, good at protecting the puck downlow and a good two way player. He will be a usefull 4th line player.

Josh Leivo is the most interesting Marlie, he has the highest ceiling probably, hes a winger with skill, size and a drive to score goals. Hes a smart player who makes the right plays and is a good passer, but his strength remains in sniping and being a great prescence in front of the net, like JVR he has great hands infront and isnt afraid to go into the dirty areas, he scores a ton of tip and rebound goals infront. I think he will be a great top 9 winger in the NHL.

Greg Mckegg had an increased role this year, playing top line minutes.. Hes an extremely smart player who has worked on his two way game at the AHL level in order for his game to translate better to the NHL.. Hes still raw but could turn out as a good player one day.

Stuart Percy proved hes a smart puck mover and a good positional defender, he still has a long way to go to round out his game to be ready for the NHL, but his 1st season was a success.

All in all we have one of the most impressive if not the most impressive AHL team in the league. We may not have the sexiest names on the team but we are one of the youngest teams in the league, and not only were we young our core players playing pivotal roles for our team are mostly made up of young players, and if Texas wins the Calder in less then 7 we would be considered the 2nd best team in the league being that young.. I think its safe to say we have depth in our farm and if we make sure the top end players in the NHL are great and can carry most of the big roles on the NHL team successfully we have a bright future.

Pretty good analysis of what the players are.

I think with all the hype of the Marlies over the past 3 years, it is tough to judge what to expect from them when they get called up. They go from a very structured system at the AHL level, to one where you're in your own end for a majority of the time. So regardless of who you call up, they are going to struggle with the play that the Leafs currently play. The biggest difference that I see from the two systems is how they break out of their own end. The wingers come a lot lower into their own zone with the Leafs, while the Marlies tend to be tighter with the point.

Based on that assumption, you are going to see guys like Gauthier and McKegg struggle at the NHL level because they aren't the best skaters, but they are responsible defensively and rely on their wingers battling against the boards to help get the puck out.

On the contrary, Leivo and D'Amigo will fare a bit better because they are a decent skaters and battle against the boards.

I think you nailed it with Ashton. He's got the size and skill, but hasn't pieced it together at the NHL level. With more playing time, he can get better. But he must realize that the time and space at the NHL level is much different. You're going to have guys close in on you a lot faster and they are much stronger, so he can't dominate the way he can at the AHL level.

I wonder what the main difference is between the Grand Rapids Griffins to Detroit Red Wings system and the Toronto Marlies to Toronto Maple Leafs system is. They have basically been around the same path over the past couple years. Both teams have made it to a Calder Cup final (although GR actually won) and both teams have been successful during the regular season. The biggest difference here is, Detroit calls up Nyqvist, Tatar, Sheahan, etc. and they actually make a difference. Toronto calls up D'Amigo, Leivo, etc. and they don't do enough to warrant the playing time/coach doesn't feel they have.

So what is it going to take for these players that you have mentioned to jump to the next level? Is it simply that they need more time on the ice or do they have to show more?

Shyguy

Mar 20, 2010
Pretty good analysis of what the players are.

I think with all the hype of the Marlies over the past 3 years, it is tough to judge what to expect from them when they get called up. They go from a very structured system at the AHL level, to one where you're in your own end for a majority of the time. So regardless of who you call up, they are going to struggle with the play that the Leafs currently play. The biggest difference that I see from the two systems is how they break out of their own end. The wingers come a lot lower into their own zone with the Leafs, while the Marlies tend to be tighter with the point.

Based on that assumption, you are going to see guys like Gauthier and McKegg struggle at the NHL level because they aren't the best skaters, but they are responsible defensively and rely on their wingers battling against the boards to help get the puck out.

On the contrary, Leivo and D'Amigo will fare a bit better because they are a decent skaters and battle against the boards.

I think you nailed it with Ashton. He's got the size and skill, but hasn't pieced it together at the NHL level. With more playing time, he can get better. But he must realize that the time and space at the NHL level is much different. You're going to have guys close in on you a lot faster and they are much stronger, so he can't dominate the way he can at the AHL level.

I wonder what the main difference is between the Grand Rapids Griffins to Detroit Red Wings system and the Toronto Marlies to Toronto Maple Leafs system is. They have basically been around the same path over the past couple years. Both teams have made it to a Calder Cup final (although GR actually won) and both teams have been successful during the regular season. The biggest difference here is, Detroit calls up Nyqvist, Tatar, Sheahan, etc. and they actually make a difference. Toronto calls up D'Amigo, Leivo, etc. and they don't do enough to warrant the playing time/coach doesn't feel they have.

So what is it going to take for these players that you have mentioned to jump to the next level? Is it simply that they need more time on the ice or do they have to show more?

I think you may have answered your own question. I can't find the source, but i know that i have read somewhere that Grand Rapids plays pretty much the exact same system as Detroit does. That obviously makes the transition from AHL to NHL much easier, biggest difference is the increased level of play all players and the game is much faster. I don't follow the marlies that much, do they play the same system as the Leafs does?

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson

lol what. Our best line most nights in this series was a line that had a rookie and a guy playing junior hockey less than 2 months ago.

Texas was no more led by veterans than Toronto was. The only reason they're even a story today is because the Texas vets finally showed up for the first time since Game 2 for a period and it made the difference.

Series was a great one though. Congrats on a great year.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Holland, Carrick, Leivo and D'Amigo are the forwards I'd expect to make a push next fall.

Holland and D'Amigo in particular.

On defense; Granberg is the only one I would pencil in at this point.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Why don't you admit it, its fans like you who will always be OK with a below average team. Just to drive you mad lol

Leafs + Choke = Chiefs
Marlies + Choke = Charlies

that should the name for our beloved franchises lol

But they didn't choke though. As stated ad nauseam, they went with a youth movement this year and weren't expected to even make the playoffs never mind going into the third period of the 7th game of the WCF tied 2-2 against the best team in the league. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you haven't even watched a minute of the playoffs. If TEX lost to us yesterday, they would have choked, not the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler Biggs*

Last year they made it to the Calder Cup but lost. This year they swept their 2 series before going to the 7th game in the Final Four. I don't know, sounds like there is some promise there but seems like there are a bunch of people on here with ADD. Either that or they haven't been following too much. Nice run boys. Congrats on a season to be proud of. At least if/when they do make the NHL they will have some playoff experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad