Marlies GDT: Game Seven Strikes Toronto Again - But Great Job Marlies

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
The better team won.

Percy has been a big disappointment in my opinion. Biggs didn't even play. What a waste of picks those were. They may turn out to be descent NHLers but we paid a big price in getting them over some players who were available.

If this is the best of Holland, he should stay down. D'amigo should be up. Granberg should be up as well

All in all, the Marlies exceeded my expectation. They did really well considering this is a very young AHL team except for our goalie.

I agree with all of your opinions except Percy.

I've seen a lot of these playoffs and have attended every home game, except 1. Percy is excellent. He always seems to get the puck. Whether with a poke check, a block or off the boards. He makes excellent passes and I feel his forwards have let him down at times when clearing the puck. Every time I watch him, I catch myself thinking " Percy always gets the puck". He is extremely calm under pressure and has a good hockey IQ. The only thing that let's him down is his mobility/quickness and that could be what keeps him from playing in the NHL.

I think he will be an NHL defenseman. He has most of the tools and as he matures, he will only get better. I'm hoping he has a strong camp because I really enjoying watching him play.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Great series, guys.

I was at Game 4 and Drew put on a clinic, as he's done all series.

He's the reason this went 7 games....with Texas firing 50+ shots on net in three of them! Good luck next year, you know some of these kids are getting promoted after the run they just had.

good luck with the IceDogs :)

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I agree with all of your opinions except Percy.

I've seen a lot of these playoffs and have attended every home game, except 1. Percy is excellent. He always seems to get the puck. Whether with a poke check, a block or off the boards. He makes excellent passes and I feel his forwards have let him down at times when clearing the puck. Every time I watch him, I catch myself thinking " Percy always gets the puck". He is extremely calm under pressure and has a good hockey IQ. The only thing that let's him down is his mobility/quickness and that could be what keeps him from playing in the NHL.

I think he will be an NHL defenseman. He has most of the tools and as he matures, he will only get better. I'm hoping he has a strong camp because I really enjoying watching him play.

I hope I am wrong. To be honest Percy looks better than everyone else because everyone else just not up to par. Brennen, I now know why he's not in the NHL. He has a panic attack every time he has the puck.

I would like to see Leivo with descent play maker. Abbott did his best to fill that role.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I hope I am wrong. To be honest Percy looks better than everyone else because everyone else just not up to par. Brennen, I now know why he's not in the NHL. He has a panic attack every time he has the puck.

I would like to see Leivo with descent play maker. Abbott did his best to fill that role.

I think Granberg, Leivo, Percy and, to an extent, D'Amigo will become solid NHLers. The rest will most likely be careers AHLers.

I also think that it's too early to judge Biggs. In limited viewing of him, he has not impressed. He needs to be a lot meaner to have an impact at the NHL level.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Great series, guys.

I was at Game 4 and Drew put on a clinic, as he's done all series.

He's the reason this went 7 games....with Texas firing 50+ shots on net in three of them! Good luck next year, you know some of these kids are getting promoted after the run they just had.
Thanks, the better team won. Good luck in the finals.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I think Granberg, Leivo, Percy and, to an extent, D'Amigo will become solid NHLers. The rest will most likely be careers AHLers.

I also think that it's too early to judge Biggs. In limited viewing of him, he has not impressed. He needs to be a lot meaner to have an impact at the NHL level.

There's no reason to believe Biggs will amount to anything. He has never been a scorer, a fighter or a checker in any level. One good season that he had with Oshawa because he played with Jenner. Ironically the good Canadian boy we passed him over for Biggs.

I did like some aspects of Carrick. He still needs to play in AHL. Ross is another player I was expecting more out of. He has been very quiet. I am not sure if it's Spotts coaching

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
There's no reason to believe Biggs will amount to anything. He has never been a scorer, a fighter or a checker in any level. One good season that he had with Oshawa because he played with Jenner. Ironically the good Canadian boy we passed him over for Biggs.

I did like some aspects of Carrick. He still needs to play in AHL. Ross is another player I was expecting more out of. He has been very quiet. I am not sure if it's Spotts coaching

I really like what I've seen from Carrick and he will continue to quietly impress. I didn't add him to my list but he just might do OK at the top level, eventually.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012

Pretty much, but I dont think Biggs is amounting to anything either as the other poster said, although I'd give him and Ross one more season to prove themselves.

These guys look like decent 3rd liners 2nd/3rd pairing players, highest upside being Finn(I thought he looked very good in parts during the playoffs, very smart player)

I have zero idea what happened to Brad Ross, Biggs was never good offensively, Ross went from more than PPG in the OHL(over 40 goals in his last season) to being a 10 point ahl player, wtf happened?

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012

and Holland of course...
But it's too early to count any number of other players out, and more are coming next season.

I was also very impressed with Kenny Ryan during this playoff run. He is presenting himself as maybe the purest 4th liner on the team, at least, minus the fighting. He's the kind of player who is a 4th liner on the Marlies, and yet would probably be useful at the NHL level on the 4th line doing exactly the same thing.

It also becomes increasingly more difficult to see Sam Carrick staying in the AHL.

Also, Eric Knodel has looked great since his debut. I'll be keeping my eye on him.

mikebel111*

Proving you know nothing about Percy. He isn't one to put up huge numbers if that is what you expected. Percy is a smart d man who has top 4 potential. Stop this garbage about only looking good because others are not

Do some research on him!
Love this kid
Great find

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
No Holland on your list?

I still don't know about him. He was alright with the Leafs this year and dominated at times in the AHL. The problem is that he's inconsistent. If he's not scoring, he's not doing much and seems to lose a lot of pick battles. He didn't always stand out like the 4 players I mentioned. The guys I mentioned consistently showed skill, heart and battled hard every shift. Watching them live, you knew when they were on ( Ashton too but he seems too clumsy to be an effective NHLer). It's a pretty small sample size but those are my impressions.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter 14m
In four games in Texas, the Marlies gave up a combined 189 shots on net, including three games with 50 or more

Like father, like son.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter 14m
In four games in Texas, the Marlies gave up a combined 189 shots on net, including three games with 50 or more

Like father, like son.

(sigh) context for some of this.
in some of those games - the goaltender was out of the net for a huge chunk of the games.

second - the stars took a lot of shots the entire playoffs (and some of the regular season). it seems to be their M-O.

mikebel111*

Watched Holland post game. He is not happy. It looks like he is having trouble digesting this in.

Particularly on the question on "what Drew meant to the team this year?" His last comments on the question were " none of the goals are his fault, none of this is his fault" The way he said it was really upsetting :(

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
(sigh) context for some of this.
in some of those games - the goaltender was out of the net for a huge chunk of the games.

second - the stars took a lot of shots the entire playoffs (and some of the regular season). it seems to be their M-O.

They gave up 50 shots in 3 out of 4 games on the road... that's absurd for any team. And yes, they did pull their goaltenders with 6-7 minutes remaining but it isn't like they gave up 20 extra shots because of it and I don't think any of them were pulled for the entire 6-7 minutes because Marlies scored on those empty netters.

50 shots in a playoff game is far too much and Marlies pull way too much of the Leafs whole sitting back and doing nothing with a lead. With any team you expect them to sit back a little and give up more shots than you are taking but there were some crooked shot total throughout this series and it hurt the Marlies in the end.

Marlies, as well as the Leafs need to focus on playing a better puck possession game instead of the whole clearing the puck out of the zone and doing endless dump and chase.

mikebel111*

They gave up 50 shots in 3 out of 4 games on the road... that's absurd for any team. And yes, they did pull their goaltenders with 6-7 minutes remaining but it isn't like they gave up 20 extra shots because of it and I don't think any of them were pulled for the entire 6-7 minutes because Marlies scored on those empty netters.

50 shots in a playoff game is far too much and Marlies pull way too much of the Leafs whole sitting back and doing nothing with a lead. With any team you expect them to sit back a little and give up more shots than you are taking but there were some crooked shot total throughout this series and it hurt the Marlies in the end.

Marlies, as well as the Leafs need to focus on playing a better puck possession game instead of the whole clearing the puck out of the zone and doing endless dump and chase.

Nope. Marlies are a good puck posession team just not in this series
One series doesn't mean everything. Marlies usually dont sit back.
Leafs need to be a better puck posession team, not Marlies

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Nope. Marlies are a good puck posession team just not in this series
One series doesn't mean everything. Marlies usually dont sit back.
Leafs need to be a better puck posession team, not Marlies

They're a lot better than the Leafs but Marlies are pretty average at it. I've certainly seen a few games throughout the season where they have played like this (not to this extent) but they do sit back quite a bit with the lead and play that dump and chase game similarly to the Leafs.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
This was a huge year for the Marlies and here's why: Development.

This was thought to be a development year for a young squad. You have a young coach coming into the system and with no expectations. They started the season with 3 rookie AHL defencemen, while 2 of them (Percy and Granberg) played huge minutes and situations for them. The other (Andrew MacWilliam) played a very solid role all season and looks like he could turn into a nice bottom pairing defenceman.

The Marlies have won the division for 3 years straight. And for the past 2 years, they always relied on AHL veterans to carry the team. Whether it was Zigomanis, Scott, Aucoin, Hamilton, etc. there was really no feeling of guys that you thought would be with the Leafs eventually.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
This was great run by the Marlies, but the better team won. I hope the kids get a lot out of this experience.

I liked what I saw from Percy, Granberg and Carrick and fell in love with Leivo. It will be interesting, which Marlies will be Leafs next season.

And likewise how the Marlies will play with the new talent coming in, Knodel, Brown, Finn... The good drafting over the years pays off now.

And I hope Ross and Biggs will do a Carrick next season!

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor
We're going to have an impressive pipeline of bottom 6'rs and bottom 4 for the next several years. It'd be nice to have a few top end prospects sprinkled in, especially upfront, but we have a nice base of blue collar talent. Not having to go the expensive UFA route filling out the bottom half of our roster is something anyway....

Tyler Biggs*

Gotta love the talent in the Leafs system. Marlies are fun to watch!

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Gotta love the talent in the Leafs system. Marlies are fun to watch!

To hear some talk, we have zero talent in our system and the best course of action is to trade Kessel, Phanuef, Lupul, Bozak and Reimer, all for picks, because all those guys are for sure going to be wasted anyway, so we can do a "proper rebuild".

Y'know........REALISM.

:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad