Post-Game Talk: Game 9 - Kings stun B's in last second of OT - LA 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I don't know. Fenway and others have said they broke down the tape and that they timed it at .7 seconds. I can believe it. Especially when you consider there is a human with his thumb on the switch that has to "start" the clock at the puck drop.

That said, it certainly looked like Rask and Krug didn't believe it was possible. They didn't seem to react at all.
Yeah I sure didn't think there would be time for a play like that.Rask definitely didn't expect a shot from there he was way off on his angle.

Reactions: Strafer

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The ending was so absurd I don't even think it's worth thinking too much about. What are the ****ing odds? A very Bruins ending.

How true. Though I still don't think its possible for that goal to be scored in under 1 second.

Watched some of the Habs-Rags game while also watching Bs. Canadiens looked a lot like what the Bruins were suppose to look like under Cassidy, while the Bruins were trying to match the heavy Kings much like a Julien team would.

With 2 different goalies a pair of 2-1 games with West Coast heavyweights, I feel more encouraged.

Reactions: sarge88

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Between Backes and Pasta? Yeah. Very much so. Backes is a grinder and hitter. Pasta is all speed and skill. Literally the exact opposite of each other.

So are you saying based on this they shouldn't play together?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Great game to watch, despite the sometimes sloppy play on both sides.

LA is a very “heavy” team and I was pretty happy with the way the B’s supposedly soft team handled them.

Some “blame” to go around in the loss. Krug with a glaring mistake on Toffoli’s first goal, and not sure what was wrong with Pasta in OT. He was uncharacteristically sloppy with the puck and looked very lackadaisical. I realize it’s a tough thing to predict, but Cassidy has got to have a FO guy on the ice in OT, or at least someone more experienced in the dot than Pasta. All he had to do was tie up Kopitar for a second.

I’m not sure what the refs were watching at times during the game, and particularly in OT. Felt like I was back in the “clutch and grab” era. LA player (Iafollo) runs over Rask (not pushed by D) and Dustin Brown mugging Pasta on that flip to open space by Heinen (I know that Brown is off to a hot start, but not sure it’s sustainable, given what I saw from him yesterday? He seems to be unable to keep up and if the refs did their jobs, he should have had 2/3 penalties).

I have always liked McAvoy, but he’s exceeding my expectations. I thought the Doughty comparisons by Jack and Brick were over the top, but man, he had a strong game. Think he could be a Top 5 NHL D before too long.

Not a big fan of Nash as the 3rd line C. I like him as a 4th line defensive center, but he has next to no offensive instincts. Vatrano has been playing very well IMO, but he seems alone on that line. When DK returns stick Vatrano and Heinen on Backes wings for the 3rd line. Also not a fan of the Postma-Miller 3rd pair. Killer is growing on me, but I like him on the right side. With McQ hurt, would much rather see O’Gara on Miller’s left.

Tough ending but you have to take a lot of positives out of the game.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I thought LA took liberties all night. B's miss Adam McQuaid (as does Krug).

I know hockey is moving away from the tough guy/ enforcer but I do believe having Quaider out there cuts down on the other teams pulling that crap. Kevan is tough but couldn't do much with that messed up hand. Big Z doesn't get involve very often any more in the rough stuff.

Pasta got hurt 2 games ago. He isn't 100 %. Neither s Bergy.

I know some of you wanted Adam gone but the guys on the B's like having him on the B's and healthy.

With the current injuries and lineup, I think if Zee was able to make a very distinct "physical point" with somebody, other teams might take notice and maybe not do what LA did. He is a very large bear that is still very scary when poked. Maybe the thought of Chara being willing to go could buy a little time until Quaider and Miller can more easily handle things.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I’m not sure what the refs were watching at times during the game, and particularly in OT. Felt like I was back in the “clutch and grab” era. LA player (Iafollo) runs over Rask (not pushed by D) and Dustin Brown mugging Pasta on that flip to open space by Heinen (I know that Brown is off to a hot start, but not sure it’s sustainable, given what I saw from him yesterday? He seems to be unable to keep up and if the refs did their jobs, he should have had 2/3 penalties).
You mean "Iafollontoyourgoaliewithnopenaltyoopshahahawewin"

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think it's a bad line, yes. I think skills wise, Agostino and DeBrusk would be better fits for Backes than Pasta.

Pastrnak did alright playing with Lucic many moons ago.

I like balance, to illustrate I'd be more comfortable with Pasta-Pasta-Backes than I would Backes-Backes-Pasta. I like one grinding type to go with two more skilled players vs. the opposite.

I really don't like Pasta-Pasta-Pasta or Backes-Backes-Backes, one-dimensional lines. Guys like Marchand and Bergeron are so good and well-rounded they can be either/or, which is why you rarely see guys who don't benefit as their RW.

For what it is worth, I'd still put Pasta back with Krejci when he returns, AND leave Backes at center. But for right now, I don't see any reason to put him back with 63/37 all game. Especially when you consider Cassidy can use that "special weapon" at any time, nothing is set in stone.

I like Debrusk with Backes, but that other winger needs to bring more than Agostino (who I admit was decent last night 5 on 5. Could be Bjork, could be Pasta, I'd even prefer Vatrano.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Tuukka Rask was outstanding, even after he got run twice. And where the hell were his teammates on that? Quaider can't come back soon enough.

Krug had a rough game, his jaw might be worse than we know otherwise I can't explain why he's been so bad lately. :dunno:

Backes needs to stay at center even when Krejci returns to the line up. Bruins are a better team with him playing there. :nod:

And the kids are all right.:thumbu:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Pastrnak did alright playing with Lucic many moons ago.

I like balance, to illustrate I'd be more comfortable with Pasta-Pasta-Backes than I would Backes-Backes-Pasta. I like one grinding type to go with two more skilled players vs. the opposite.

I really don't like Pasta-Pasta-Pasta or Backes-Backes-Backes, one-dimensional lines. Guys like Marchand and Bergeron are so good and well-rounded they can be either/or, which is why you rarely see guys who don't benefit as their RW.

For what it is worth, I'd still put Pasta back with Krejci when he returns, AND leave Backes at center. But for right now, I don't see any reason to put him back with 63/37 all game. Especially when you consider Cassidy can use that "special weapon" at any time, nothing is set in stone.

I like Debrusk with Backes, but that other winger needs to bring more than Agostino (who I admit was decent last night 5 on 5. Could be Bjork, could be Pasta, I'd even prefer Vatrano.

Sure, he did. But he also had Spooner, who suited his game when he played well with Lucic. Who's the speed/skill guy when he plays with Backes and DeBrusk?

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sure, he did. But he also had Spooner, who suited his game when he played well with Lucic. Who's the speed/skill guy when he plays with Backes and DeBrusk?

So you agree Backes + Pasta isn't an issue as long as they other winger is a good compliment (i.e. a skill/speed guy)?

Right now on the left-side, Debrusk is the closest they have, even if he's not ideal.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So you agree Backes + Pasta isn't an issue as long as they other winger is a good compliment (i.e. a skill/speed guy)?

Right now on the left-side, Debrusk is the closest they have, even if he's not ideal.

If they had someone, sure. Like you point out though, they don't.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Pasta has 6 career points in 5 games with Backes as his center, including 4 goals.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Krug has looked awful this year and we are beyond the point of giving the excuses that he didnt get a pre season. First kings goal last night came off a Krug turnover, then the OT goal came off Krug's which was a terrible icing because he forced pasta to have to take the faceoff. Just a complete lack of awareness and situational hockey IQ.

Right now he is a -10, which is on pace for the worst single season plus minus by any player in NHL history. He obviously wont beat that record, but its certainly not good even if we are just 9 games into the season (krugs only played 8). Only 8 out of his 32 shot attempts have registered as a shot on goal and he is averaging a career high in power play minutes per game with a career low in power play points per/60.

Bruins need to stop using him as much in defensive situations, he has a career 59.8 offensive zone start, but only a 54.7% this year. Krug is a -20 even strength in his last 89 games. That is literally terrible. The bruins as a team are +20 dating back to the start of the 2016 season.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Krug is directly responsible for both LA goals. That being said we need him to be himself to do anything great this season as a team. Situationally, I just think McAvoy should be the go-to offensive D-Man and let Krug figure stuff out for now. If Charlie makes mistakes it's growing pains, when Krug does it's something else. Also isn't Danton Heinen a natural center? Why is Pasta taking that draw? Either way it was a good game all around, and I'm not as worried about this team as some others here. Still see them in the playoffs, still see a healthy Bruins team matching up well against most teams in the East.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Some games, I'd swear the refs are being paid to not call penalties on Bruins' opponents. How else can one explain checking a guy in the numbers into the boards? Or 2 goalie interference and 1 player interference non calls in just a 5 min OT?

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Do you really think Pasta is going to do anything playing with a complete skill mismatch in Backes?
Probably not but he does have enough skill to create something on his own . I don’t like Pasta with Krejci either but don’t want to put Pasta with Bergeron and Marchand as it creates too much of a black hole on the other lines . Bjork is doing reasonably well playing with Bergeron and Marchand , I would leave him there for now .

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Krug definitely has not been good, but he also had a rough 10 games to start the season last year and then turned it on. I'm not so worried about him, especially with the way the D has looked lately. I'm willing to give him a pass for the time, but he definitely needs to get going.

BruinsNetwork

Two things:

A. I can't seem to logically understand how Rask as been mentioned as part of the problem on the overtime winner. He was NOT "out of position" and did NOT have a "bad angle." That is absolutely baffling to me. Rask was doing what any goalie in the NHL is supposed to do, stay square to the faceoff because you can't commit to one side on the premise that the puck "might" get over to the point. Kopitar could have botched the faceoff in an unintentional direction that landed on Doughty's stick for a quick shot too. Had that happened and Rask committed to the point, it would have been an open side anyways. There is no argument here, Rask did everything he could on that goal. Not sure what Krug was doing on the OT goal, him or the F next to him should be crashing the point the second the draw is taken. That's how you combat that set play.

B. Why do Bruins fans always have to look for some conspiracy or blame or fault to discredit the opponent of their win? The Kings pulled off a beautiful, set play that resulted in a GWG. Appreciate their great hockey play, accept the point against a great team, and just move on. The Bruins need to take care of business against basement teams like COL and BUF, that way these OT loses won't sting. Every point matters, leaving them on the table against those bad teams hurts. Managing to get a point against the Kings is a positive. So, like I said, just accept the great hockey play that beat the Bruins fare and square, and then move on.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Krug definitely has not been good, but he also had a rough 10 games to start the season last year and then turned it on. I'm not so worried about him, especially with the way the D has looked lately. I'm willing to give him a pass for the time, but he definitely needs to get going.

He did struggle to start and came back strong offensively last year, but he was poor defensively last season. Out of all defenders on the bruins, Bruins goalies had the worst even strength save percentage with Krug on the ice and the same goes for this year through his first 8 games played.

Its crazy because offensively he has solid instincts, but defensively he has a terrible defensive hockey IQ. He often gets caught in the middle of deciding whether to pinch or not. He is a poor situational defensive hockey player. No better example than last night when he iced the puck with .9 seconds left, he could have held the puck and got us to a shootout, instead he iced it, keeping the players on the ice and Pasta had to take the faceoff. Absolutely inexcusable play and beyond poor recognition of the situation at hand. These are not isolated incidents either.

Krug is not a 2nd pairing LHD on a championship team. Great puck mover and passer, but his defensive shortcomings over the past 89 games, worst goalie save % among B's defenders with him on the ice, and a -20 over that stretch is proving he cant match up with other teams first or 2nd lines.

If the Bruins can get Krug as a 3rd pairing defender who gets the majority of PP time thatd be great. Unfortunately due to an aging Chara nad lack of high end available LHD depth, Krug is forced to play up a line and his defensive numbers struggle due to that.

Reactions: Sevendust

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Krug ought to be drawn and quartered for that absolute disgrace of a play to cause that icing. So gdmmmed sick of his casual play and lack of on-ice thinking. Absolutely shameful.

I’m hope you are being sarcastic, but as long as we are drawing and quartering Krug, guess we should do the same to
Pasta who was as bad/worse in the OT.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Two things:

A. I can't seem to logically understand how Rask as been mentioned as part of the problem on the overtime winner. He was NOT "out of position" and did NOT have a "bad angle." That is absolutely baffling to me. Rask was doing what any goalie in the NHL is supposed to do, stay square to the faceoff because you can't commit to one side on the premise that the puck "might" get over to the point. Kopitar could have botched the faceoff in an unintentional direction that landed on Doughty's stick for a quick shot too. Had that happened and Rask committed to the point, it would have been an open side anyways. There is no argument here, Rask did everything he could on that goal. Not sure what Krug was doing on the OT goal, him or the F next to him should be crashing the point the second the draw is taken. That's how you combat that set play.

B. Why do Bruins fans always have to look for some conspiracy or blame or fault to discredit the opponent of their win? The Kings pulled off a beautiful, set play that resulted in a GWG. Appreciate their great hockey play, accept the point against a great team, and just move on. The Bruins need to take care of business against basement teams like COL and BUF, that way these OT loses won't sting. Every point matters, leaving them on the table against those bad teams hurts. Managing to get a point against the Kings is a positive. So, like I said, just accept the great hockey play that beat the Bruins fare and square, and then move on.
Stop making sense. Some people can't handle it.:thumbu:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Can someone explain to me how a face off, puck pass, shot and puck travel to goal line can be all be done under 1 second ?

It can’t. Go to the Bruins subreddit page and you will see a couple of interesting videos. Spoiler: it should not have counted.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He did struggle to start and came back strong offensively last year, but he was poor defensively last season. Out of all defenders on the bruins, Bruins goalies had the worst even strength save percentage with Krug on the ice and the same goes for this year through his first 8 games played.

Its crazy because offensively he has solid instincts, but defensively he has a terrible defensive hockey IQ. He often gets caught in the middle of deciding whether to pinch or not. He is a poor situational defensive hockey player. No better example than last night when he iced the puck with .9 seconds left, he could have held the puck and got us to a shootout, instead he iced it, keeping the players on the ice and Pasta had to take the faceoff. Absolutely inexcusable play and beyond poor recognition of the situation at hand. These are not isolated incidents either.

Krug is not a 2nd pairing LHD on a championship team. Great puck mover and passer, but his defensive shortcomings over the past 89 games, worst goalie save % among B's defenders with him on the ice, and a -20 over that stretch is proving he cant match up with other teams first or 2nd lines.

If the Bruins can get Krug as a 3rd pairing defender who gets the majority of PP time thatd be great. Unfortunately due to an aging Chara nad lack of high end available LHD depth, Krug is forced to play up a line and his defensive numbers struggle due to that.

I love blanket statements like:

“Krug is not a 2nd pair D on a championship team.”

Do you know who the 2nd pair D were the last two years on the Penguins?

Hint...Krug is better than all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad