GDT: Game 82: Red Wings at habs 7:00 pm et 4/16/24 (BSD, ESPN+)

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
2 seasons, so why wait? What has he shown?

2 seasons is not enough with a team that has changed rapidly. It's very likely that Yzerman is gonna go hunting this summer to improve the lineup. Give Lalonde another season, if he fails then we can talk about replacements.

Reactions: DamonDRW

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Let me tell you…. Was a roller coaster game to be at tonight.

Kept my phone in my pocket all night to not score watch the flyers game. Had a feeling we wouldn’t be lucky with their result.

This team has guts and fought to the very end though. 7seconds left on that icing I told my friend who I went with to sit back down and witness something amazing. What a goal. What a comeback. Great penalty kill in OT.

Reimer made some really nice saves to make up for some of the weird goals that went in on him.

Both Montreal boys scored against their home town. Good on Sprong and Joey V. Seider had a good game. Chiarot was pretty good too. Big Simon looked out of place at times positionally which I thought was uncharacteristic, but a learning curve for a young player still making adjustments.

Kane sucked all game and again finishes off the night in style.

Too bad the flyers got jipped… haven’t seen the highlights, but if this team didn’t go on such a massive losing streak a month ago, we would be watching playoffs for the first time in a few years.

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
You can't rag on him for 5-17 without giving him credit for having them up above Tampa earlier in the season. You don't get to count the bad and ignore the good.

The Wings collapsed because while they had a really fun and miraculous end in these last three games... they really really lacked difference makers. They had Raymond during that stretch where they lost 7 in a row. Kane slowed way down, Seider stumbled pretty bad, Debrincat disappeared and after enough games of dragging the team to a close loss, the goalies started falling apart too.

While the team was improved... they needed the depth to carry them through but when Larkin went out, they didn't have any kind of 1C facsimile and it killed all of their lines, not just the top one.

This reminds me of the same stupid shit with Blashill where a certain HFB member who is no longer here and shall remain nameless thought that firing Blash and putting Bylsma in charge would make the 19-20 Wings play .400 hockey.

Coaches, outside of the true greats, don't have the impact you're stating. And coaches, outside of the nincompoops (like Torts who burns every bridge within a year and a half) don't have the impact you're stating. It's talent, it's talent, it's talent. And the Wings by their own design were treading water until guys in GR can season up and their cap could come back into order.
Cool, so coaches don't matter, and Yzerman is on the hot seat. How long does he have?

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
Ridiculous comment
Awesome response.

You prolly woulda said the sMe thing about Cooper too if you were a TB fan. And stop acging like you can predict the future. It is annoying
Yet you telling me what I would think in a completely different situation isn't? Do you agree with Lalonde that we should be happy with where we are at? That next season, we shouldn't expect to be in a position to make the playoffs? Because he has stated exactly that. I don't recall Cooper every saying something along those lines.

Reactions: 14ari13

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Cool, so coaches don't matter, and Yzerman is on the hot seat. How long does he have?

If they don't make serious strides next year, I'm sure you'll hear the voices getting louder. The team has improved every year and they've got what looks to be a really good farm system brewing. The kids from GR don't step up and make a difference and they try running back the senior citizen club? People will rightfully start to gripe.

However... I don't disagree with the method Yzerman's taken since he came here. The Wings are so much better set up for the future than they were it isn't funny.

I'm not looking to axe off people's heads tho. Wings definitely ought to be in the playoffs next year. They've potentially got money, they've potentially got many roster spots and talented youngsters to fill them. Something Yzerman definitely needs to address and address with a significant acquisition is the net. They simply ghave not had a true legit starting goalie since Bernier walked out the door a couple years ago (and we sadly wasted his time here with a terrible team)

Reactions: Realgud
Awesome response.

Yet you telling me what I would think in a completely different situation isn't? Do you agree with Lalonde that we should be happy with where we are at? That next season, we shouldn't expect to be in a position to make the playoffs? Because he has stated exactly that. I don't recall Cooper every saying something along those lines.
Because he basically had a championship roster when he got to Tampa.

No, it is not. Because if Lalonde had a fireable performance this yr then Cooper had several with a way bwttdr team.

This team for most of the season played with 4 top 6 forwards, without a bona fide starter in goal and with a defense that bottom 1/3 in the league. Need to think about it more but it is very possible that everything was squeezed outta this group

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Because he basically had a championship roster when he got to Tampa.

No, it is not. Because if Lalonde had a fireable performance this yr then Cooper had several with a way bwttdr team.

This team for most of the season played with 4 top 6 forwards, without a bona fide starter in goal and with a defense that bottom 1/3 in the league. Need to think about it more but it is very possible that everything was squeezed lutta this group
Yes the roster is lacking.

Tell me this though. After two seasons, what is Lalonde's game plan? What kind of system are we playing? What is this team's identity under Lalonde?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'll be after the coach when the coach has a team this team is still talent starved. Yzerman has put together some talent to be a wild card but we still need our other high picks to get a chance to fill their skates. It's not like I would lose any sleep if the coach was fired but it's too early to be screaming for a coaches head. Honestly this season was a success the team has improved every year since Yzerman took over and this year was no different. The long play was the only play that was going to fix this mess. Tough luck this year next year I think we will get there and then we'll be in the years where the real magic starts happening.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Folks are setting themselves up for disappointment if they actually think Lalonde has any chance of being replaced. Yzerman is going to keep Lalonde for at least two more years. I can't remember when his contract ends.
2 years - maybe...For sure he'll be in Detroit next season :skeptic:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I dont think Ive hated this entire sport more in my entire life more than I do tonight.

The way the DRW season ended is somehow only half the story. I wanna puke. f*** this sport.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Those are fruitless questions rn cuz he tries to tailor to the limited strengths of this team. I wanna see how he has the team playing when he has a good roster
What is a 'good roster' these days?

Multiple top 5 draft picks? Quality UFAs wanting to sign?

Hate to be that guy, but I feel our roster quality will remain roughly the same for quite some time...What we need is a coach with a system.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
We have Mo who had his bad stretches
Walman was pretty consistent til he got hurt and never really recovered. He is 2nd pair guy
Chiarot is 4/5
Edvinsson came up to late, that one is on Stevie

And the rest are bottom pair or 7th dmen at ES. I doubt rhat Berube would ve garnered significantly better results
Well - that 2019 Cup run was sorta neat...

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Those are fruitless questions rn cuz he tries to tailor to the limited strengths of this team. I wanna see how he has the team playing when he has a good roster
A good coach doesn’t need a perennial playoff roster to implement his system. And the roster is unlikely to dramatically improve next year unless we sign a star FA or some of the GR kids become major contributors.

After two seasons, I don’t understand what Lalonde’s system is or what his strengths are.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
A good coach doesn’t need a perennial playoff roster to implement his system. And the roster is unlikely to dramatically improve next year unless we sign a star FA or some of the GR kids become major contributors.

After two seasons, I don’t understand what Lalonde’s system is or what his strengths are.
Yup...This team has little to no identity...Not skilled nor physical nor defensive minded...Team looks like a hot mess on many nights...Our streaks of losing - don't get me started.

But we do have a winning record and just missed the playoffs...In that respect the season was a success and so Lalonde will stay put.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The roster isn't great but Lalonde doesn't understand basic coaching functions like when to pull the goalie or call timeouts. Yeah, the Wings make the playoffs if they win one of the two Arizona games but they also make the playoffs if Lalonde calls a timeout or pulls a goalie at the right time and salvages a point.

He goes into press conferences and somehow manages to say all the wrong things.

These are aspects of his coaching that have not improved in two seasons.

Reactions: Realgud and 14ari13

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Anyone else think it's kind of weird that the players who scored the last three goals (I'm counting SO winner) of this season might not be back next season?

Reactions: KJoe88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad